Mechanical Keyboard Suggestions for 1st Timer (for Gaming etc)?

Hello

I’m looking for a Mechanical Keyboard and might try out a few at the same time to see which type of switch I want to keep using – and send the others back… looking for suggestions.

Please keep in mind – It must be Wired… ok!

I want it for gaming – but also – for Music Production and general usage?

Would be nice if it had some useful function/macro keys (programmable would be good) for any or most programs and games etc.

I do want one with the Numpad ok… that’s a given…

I normally just don't care about RGB etc... but in this case - it might be nice to have backlit keys to see in a dark room... but that's about the extent of what I'd want RGB wise.

BTW I'm tall and thin - and have large hands with long thin fingers - if that matters?

Please note – I want wired only ok – and I’m right handed like most folk.

Currently using an old MS office keyboard.

I’ve never used a one before… tried some demo buttons at a shop and I think I like something with some pushback (not sure how much), I think I’d probably prefer a quiet one… but I’d like a suggestion for a non quiet one too to try it out.

I think from memory it was the brown one I liked better but not sure?

Prefer something not too crazy pricewise – good value is ideal – will pay some more if it’s worth it.

So remember – I’m looking for recommendations for a few different types of switches/modes ok!

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
I wouldn't get one from Razer, their software is annoying and the one kb I bought from them needed to be replaced once and then it only lasted 3 years after that.

I have had 3 Mechanical Keyboards in the last 10 years,
  1. Razer
  2. Logitech G910 (Logitechs own brand switches)
  3. Corsair K70 rgb (Cherry MX Brown)

Razer keyboard stopped working after a few years, the G910 still works but I felt like a new keyboard last year so I have a spare now. K70 is a good keyboard, no complaints so far.

just suggestions, ideas... not recommending anything
Steelseries Apex also use MX Brown.
A lot of corsair Keyboards do it seems.
Logitech G213 Prodigy does as well.

Last edited:
Not a mech KB guy, so just a few extra resources which may help… or not:

Just an fyi—I have used 2 mice on one PC, worked fine.

Reactions: mainer
I would get one with backlighting, just makes finding the right key easier in the dark.
Before I got the razer KB I had a Microsoft gaming keyboard which I would have used forever but part of it broke and I suddenly found Microsoft don't make gaming keyboard anymore.
It may not have been mechanical but it had one thing the razer didn't, backlighting... and I missed it for all the years I used the Razer. Never again.
It doesn't have to be rgb really but it breaks up my keys
Vj7znuZ.jpg

and just cause I have it, its running a rainfall pattern under the colour scheme so keys aren't always the same colors

Most of the new ones have RGB anyway. Hard to find one without it really. Those are probably stealth models.

Too much choice isn't always a good thing. It can stop you deciding.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I use a Corsair K95 RGB Platinum and love it. It's heavier than many keyboards as it uses an aluminum frame, but it won't go flying across the desk if you bump it or spaz out at times like I do. It does use Cherry MX switches if that's an issue, but also has 6 programable macro keys on the left. The ICUE software is fairly intuitive also. I've had mine for several years and haven't had any negative issues. Corsair makes really durable keyboards.

fAIAR6b.jpg

Corsair's info page:
K95 RGB PLATINUM Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | THE WAIT IS OVER. YOU WANTED IT ALL. HERE IT IS. (corsair.com)

@Brian Boru listed several keyboard resources which are worth checking out. It seems like there are hundreds of mechanical keyboards out there now, but if you're going to spend the money, try to get something that will last a few years.

@Colif
@Brian Boru
@mainer
@DXCHASE

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for all of your info and help.

I have read up and learned a lot more since I posted this and have also made some more decisions about what I do and don't want to get.

So I have just made one giant mega thread to include this stuff and other gaming peripherals all in one thread to save time/complexity.

Feel free to have a look and add anything extra - but beware - it's super long!

Thanks again!

@Colif
@Brian Boru
@mainer
@DXCHASE

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for all of your info and help.

I have read up and learned a lot more since I posted this and have also made some more decisions about what I do and don't want to get.

So I have just made one giant mega thread to include this stuff and other gaming peripherals all in one thread to save time/complexity.

Feel free to have a look and add anything extra - but beware - it's super long!

Thanks again!

Ok so i didnt see this before responding to you in that thread but it might be locked because admins here dont want more than 1 thread on the same topic to keep the forums organized. Just saying.

TRENDING THREADS