Looking to play something different than my usual genre. Suggestions for an RPG in my backlog.

Which of these did you have the most fun playing?

• Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim Anniversary Edition

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • For Honor.

• Lords of the Fallen.

• Dishonored: Definitive Edition.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have not played any of these.

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
Traditionally I am a shooter or hack and slash player, but I have been wanting to sink my teeth into an older, epic RPG...something without the main focus being guns; with magic and\or swordplay, something I can sink some REAL hours into. I don't want to buy anything new right now and I am steering away from Free to Play. I have the following in my backlog, I have never played any of these games. Cast your vote and let me know which one you would play and why, or what similar games you've enjoyed.

Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru
I'm the 'played none' vote, altho I did try and bounce off Skyrim and Dishonored. The 2 our RPG Overlords here speak most highly of are Skyrim—especially if you fancy hundreds of mods—and Witcher 3.

I am a shooter … something without the main focus being guns

When you return to the shooter side, check out Far Cry Primal—set 10,000 years ago, so no guns there either. Beautiful world even by Ubi standards, and lots of fun :)

Reactions: Alm

Zloth

Community Contributor
Skyrim is special with all its mods. You can make it into lots of different things, but only IF you want to spend the time to do so.

Witcher 3 is the best RPG that I've ever played, though, so that's my vote. The combat is good, the graphics are nice, the music is excellent, and the stories are GREAT!

Oh, the graphics might be more than nice now, they did a big upgrade to them not long ago.

Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru
Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
If you're looking to dive into something different and have an RPG in your backlog, I'd suggest giving "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt" a try if you haven't already. It's renowned for its deep storytelling, expansive open world, and complex characters. The game offers a rich narrative experience with meaningful choices that affect the world around you. Plus, its side quests are as compelling as the main storyline, ensuring you'll have plenty of engaging content to explore outside your usual genre preferences.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
About 60 hours into W3's original main story and side quests so far and its been fantastic - this game is exactly what I was looking for! So much different than something like Cyberpunk or Deus Ex (also great games) Such a great experience. This game could come out tomorrow for the very first time and it would still be better than most of the polished turds they call games these days (looking at you Starfield). It looks amazing, its optimized well, the story is great, gameplay mechanics and combat are solid... I mean, even the side quest stories are interesting and entertaining - So what that Troll ate those people, he's just doing what Trolls do - GET HIM HIS PAINT!

Not at all disappointed with the poll's choice - cheers to you guys for a great suggestion!

Last edited:
I am neither a shooter nor a combat gamer, so all of to listed games are unknown to me… (I‘ve heard of some of course, but I never player them.)
However, since the games are all in your your backlog, I would think that you wanted to play all of these games at some point, or you wouldn‘t have bought them. My advice is: Listen to your gutfeeling!
I am sure you had some expectations of the games when you acquired them, and I would choose the one that fits your current game wish the most.
Gaming is not about playing the one game that everyone thinks is the best. It is about your own experience and sometimes, blind trying out is the best approach to it. :)

Edit: Seems I have jumped the last entry to this thread… My bad! I am glad, though, that you had a great experience. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
I narrowed the backlog from 40 to 6 candidates and really just couldn't commit to one. The poll made it easy for me to "make the jump".

The opinions of gamers hold more weight for me than the opinion of journalists. Journalists are paid to say a game is great or garbage. Gamers speak from hundreds of hours of experience. 35+ years of gaming have taught me that if you walk into a game with a predefined expectation, you are almost always let down in some way and the game leaves a sour taste in your mouth because its not exactly what you wanted. The hype RARELY lives up - however its seems in the case of The Witcher 3...it holds, and holds damn well, even compared to current titles.

I honestly cant tell you how I got the Witcher 3, I started up my GOG launcher for the first time in a LONG time and it was in my library along with Ghostrunner, and Witcher 1: Directors Cut... no recollection of ever buying any of these games, let alone from GOG store, I just don't really shop there... However over the last few years I've basically stocked up on free games wherever I can find them, and added around 2-3 games to my backlog every time I can grab a game for around 15$, any my wife often slips a game into my Steam library as a gift.

I have been firmly stuck in the world of live service games for about 4 years now... looking forward to a change of pace and grinding through the whole backlog someday... if it ever stops growing

Dec 17, 2022
Visit site
Try the Mass Effect trilogy. There is a remastered version that includes all dlc as well. You won´t be disapointed.

And Fallout 3 and 4, don´t bother Fallout 76, that´s boring. But 3 and 4 are really good games.

Divinity 2 and wasteland 3 are good if you like an isometric perspective.

TRENDING THREADS