Looking for a laptop with a RTX 3080 TI

Jan 24, 2022
Visit site
Hi folks,

I am looking to move on from my laptop that has a GTX 1080 ( 3 years old system ). If I trust several benchmark, the common RTX 3080 seems only marginally better ( around 20% ) so I would like to find a laptop with a 3080 TI. I cannot for the life of me find any on any websites I usually go to. Anyone have links where i could buy such a laptop ? ( Intel I9 11th gen, 32 gig RAM, 2 or 3 TB SSD )

Thanks in advance

Hi folks,

I am looking to move on from my laptop that has a GTX 1080 ( 3 years old system ). If I trust several benchmark, the common RTX 3080 seems only marginally better ( around 20% ) so I would like to find a laptop with a 3080 TI. I cannot for the life of me find any on any websites I usually go to. Anyone have links where i could buy such a laptop ? ( Intel I9 11th gen, 32 gig RAM, 2 or 3 TB SSD )

Thanks in advance

Two things.

1) Your benchmarks you are talking about are wildly inaccurate. The 3080 mobile is vastly superior to the 1080 mobile. We're talking by a ton. Here's one place you can look that has done real benchmarking:

[Mod edit: added above link, per poster's later correction. Below link is wrong one.]

2) The 3080 ti laptops won't be out until February 1st. When they do come out, I suggest looking here: https://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 24, 2022
Visit site
Thank you very much for the help.

I don't know if I understand your benchmark wrong but you compare a 1080 mobile to a regular 3080 for desktops. However isn't there a 3080 mobile?

Which is why I understood from the other website that the mobile version of the 3080 was just marginally better than the 1080 mobile.

Thank you very much for the help.

I don't know if I understand your benchmark wrong but you compare a 1080 mobile to a regular 3080 for desktops. However isn't there a 3080 mobile?

Which is why I understood from the other website that the mobile version of the 3080 was just marginally better than the 1080 mobile.

No, sorry, I linked the wrong thing. Apologize for that. Here's the correct link:

It's close to 70 percent faster than the 1080, which is a huge difference. For instance, you would go from 60 fps to 100 fps. But that assumes all those benchmarks are equal, which they aren't. Just how much better it is will depend on the game.

One thing that could cause problems with 3080 laptop benchmarks is that different laptop makers are providing more or less power to the 3080, whereas every 1080 got basically the same power. On the 3080 it depends on how the laptop is designed and how hot it gets. Cheaper laptops with the 3080 may drop the GPU power quite a bit to try to keep temps in line, while better designed laptops may give it the full power. When you are shopping for your new laptop, make sure you check the power to the GPU, or you could very well end up with a laptop that is only getting 20 percent more than the 1080.

If the listing doesn't say how much power it supplies the GPU, then you'll have to go by benchmarks for that specific model or do some more research to find the answer.

So far as I know, this will also apply to the 3080 ti.

Reactions: Krud and Brian Boru
Jan 24, 2022
Visit site
One thing that could cause problems with 3080 laptop benchmarks is that different laptop makers are providing more or less power to the 3080, whereas every 1080 got basically the same power. On the 3080 it depends on how the laptop is designed and how hot it gets. Cheaper laptops with the 3080 may drop the GPU power quite a bit to try to keep temps in line, while better designed laptops may give it the full power. When you are shopping for your new laptop, make sure you check the power to the GPU, or you could very well end up with a laptop that is only getting 20 percent more than the 1080.

If the listing doesn't say how much power it supplies the GPU, then you'll have to go by benchmarks for that specific model or do some more research to find the answer.

So far as I know, this will also apply to the 3080 ti.

Awesome, I'll try to keep that in mind. Currently as I love gaming but I am not too tech Savvy, I buy premade laptops like Alienware, Origin and al triedAcer.

I think my best laptop was my Alienware around five years ago, this was dynamite. I know though that you end up paying for the brand and that they come with a lot of bloatware.

would you have any recommendation for the manufacturer ?

Thanks a lot for your time !

Awesome, I'll try to keep that in mind. Currently as I love gaming but I am not too tech Savvy, I buy premade laptops like Alienware, Origin and al triedAcer.

I think my best laptop was my Alienware around five years ago, this was dynamite. I know though that you end up paying for the brand and that they come with a lot of bloatware.

would you have any recommendation for the manufacturer ?

Thanks a lot for your time !

I recommend checking Sager at their website sagernotebooks(dot)com. They are very solidly built, and I've never had any problems with them. Plus you get lifetime help desk support. The only thing about Sager, though, is that thermal paste is an option instead of automatically included, so if you buy from Sager, make sure you pay the extra $30 or whatever it is for the thermal paste, otherwise your CPU may run hot.

Alienware does a nice job. They usually have high quality components, but the thing you have to watch with them is on the stuff you can't see. If you are buying a laptop with a 3080 in it, you'd expect all the components to be high end, but sometimes they'll put a mediocre motherboard in, for instance. It's not that the part is bad, but you may have problems doing things like upgrading components.

Other than those two, the highest rated gaming laptop makers are actually HP, Dell and Lenova. They get the highest customer satisfaction ratings. Just from my experience, MSi and Acer are pretty bad, as is Asus. They just use cheap components that don't last. They usually get low scores in customer satisfaction surveys, as well.

Of course, you can have bad luck with any brand. From my experience, everyone above except for Acer has pretty good customer service. Acer is just a nightmare all around.

What I'd probably do is shop among Sager, Alienware, HP and Dell (Lenova is usually crazy expensive) and see who has the best deal.

Reactions: Krud and Brian Boru
Jan 24, 2022
Visit site
I recommend checking Sager at their website sagernotebooks(dot)com. They are very solidly built, and I've never had any problems with them. Plus you get lifetime help desk support. The only thing about Sager, though, is that thermal paste is an option instead of automatically included, so if you buy from Sager, make sure you pay the extra $30 or whatever it is for the thermal paste, otherwise your CPU may run hot.

Alienware does a nice job. They usually have high quality components, but the thing you have to watch with them is on the stuff you can't see. If you are buying a laptop with a 3080 in it, you'd expect all the components to be high end, but sometimes they'll put a mediocre motherboard in, for instance. It's not that the part is bad, but you may have problems doing things like upgrading components.

Other than those two, the highest rated gaming laptop makers are actually HP, Dell and Lenova. They get the highest customer satisfaction ratings. Just from my experience, MSi and Acer are pretty bad, as is Asus. They just use cheap components that don't last. They usually get low scores in customer satisfaction surveys, as well.

Of course, you can have bad luck with any brand. From my experience, everyone above except for Acer has pretty good customer service. Acer is just a nightmare all around.

What I'd probably do is shop among Sager, Alienware, HP and Dell (Lenova is usually crazy expensive) and see who has the best deal.

Perfect, I'll have a look

PS: New to the forums, how do I rate you up...lol

Reactions: ZedClampet
Feb 1, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

This may also help:

Due to daily spammer waves, various forum functions are turned off for new members. Stick around, post some more good posts, and you will reach the Promised Land :)
its odd that those inconvenient reviews seem to put what some here call crappy systems down as the best bets?

Other than those two, the highest rated gaming laptop makers are actually HP, Dell and Lenova....

So HP is good now? Or just their gaming laptops? (I had helped my mom get an HP laptop a handful of years back and it ran like hot garbage. Granted, it was also budget-priced, so expectations were already low, but still.) I'm trying to remember what gaming laptop my wife has. I had always been hesitant to rely on laptops for gaming, but it seems they've gotten better and (relatively) more affordable in recent years.

TRENDING THREADS