Looking at this monitor vs my current one. Thoughts or first hand experience?

Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
I have a very old 24" 1440p 165hz TN panel Dell S2417DG . I am interested in this monitor linked below. I know this will not be the one monitor to rule them all - I am just curious of how noticeable will the upgrade be. At that price would it be worth it, or would I be better off jumping up to something like OLED instead of VA?

Do you have any chance of going to a store that stocks monitors and having a look for yourself?

Personally I think anything (VA/IPS/OLED) is an upgrade over a TN screen, but if youre not sure then no better way than checking for yourself as everyone has different tastes.

The model you mention gets a pretty good review for gaming from RTings who do some of the most comprehensive monitor reviews, so its a decent option depending on what else is available for a similar price. I think it would be a big upgrade for me, the size makes a big difference as well. But check for yourself if you can.

Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
Personally I think anything (VA/IPS/OLED) is an upgrade over a TN screen, but if youre not sure then no better way than checking for yourself as everyone has different tastes.
I think this is basically where I'm at. At this point I feel like anything from the last 4 years would be an upgrade. My display has some really bad pixelation on black gradients. dark scenes are just muddy black mess, and there is a hint of backlight bleed.

I'm not really looking for the king of monitors, just something that is affordable that I can plug in and be able to say "yea, I can see the difference right off the bat" It just has to be an upgrade compared to what I have now. I'd love to go OLED but I just cant get behind the price points.

I think this is basically where I'm at. At this point I feel like anything from the last 4 years would be an upgrade. My display has some really bad pixelation on black gradients. dark scenes are just muddy black mess, and there is a hint of backlight bleed.

I'm not really looking for the king of monitors, just something that is affordable that I can plug in and be able to say "yea, I can see the difference right off the bat" It just has to be an upgrade compared to what I have now. I'd love to go OLED but I just cant get behind the price points.
Seems like its a pretty good one for gaming at the price from what the review said, maybe do a bit of looking around for customer reviews in case of any quality control problems and go for it, I'd say.

Not sure I grab an Oled right now

I have only used my monitor, so I can't really offer any advice on the linked one.

I also haven't looked at new ones as I don't plan on a new monitor for 5+ years maybe. Current one is only 4 years old in December so its hardly old now. I didn't realise its age until I typed it now. I try to make them last as long as possible, and right now my GPU refresh rate is faster than screen, but not by a lot. So I am in a happy place.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts