Question Laptop for gaming kid

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Hi, clueless parent alert…

My son is 7 and wants a laptop mainly to play CK3. He currently plays it on xbox but he says he wants a pc laptop so that he can use mods.

Can anyone recommend something? The cheapest possible option would be best. Would a kids gaming laptop run ck3?

Its not hugely demanding for the CPU but with mods you'll want 8GB of RAM minimum, 16GB would be very nice. Also according to the games Steam page some very cheap laptops would likely be below minimum on the graphics side. You may be able to get it to run on less but chances are it would be very choppy.

I'll try and have a scout about if no one else drops in before tomorrow, I'm afraid I dont have a lot of time to look right this minute. :)

Reactions: Brian Boru
Something with 8GB Ram, a Ryzen 5300u and 256 GB SSD would be the minimum Id recommend, probably grab something like that around 350 to 400 quid. On the Intel side im not sure, if it doesnt have Iris XE Graphics I think they would be worse graphically than AMD price equivalents but I dont have time to look into it rn.

Fyi:

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4670K / AMD® Ryzen™ 5 2400G
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 1650 (4GB) / AMD® Radeon™ R9 390X (8GB)
    • Storage: 8 GB available space
Good points to clear up. :)

• Intel® Core™ i3-2120 / AMD® FX 6350
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 660 (2GB) / AMD® Radeon™ HD 7870 (2GB) / Intel® Iris Pro™ 580 / Intel® Iris® Plus G7 / AMD® Radeon™ Vega 11
  • Storage: 8 GB available space
Steam minimum recs are quite a bit lower and we are looking for cheapest possible option. The Ryzen 5300U has Vega 6 graphics, which is slightly under minimum specs, with a slightly more powerful CPU than recommended (Despite the deceptively much higher number nomenclature). Should scrape by at lowest settings.

Game asks for 6GB minimum RAM but going by other games mods may raise the demand for memory over base game by quite a bit.

Storage wise Windows alone in my experience was taking the majority of a 128GB drive after a couple years, so 256GB a bare minimum if you want to be installing game plus mods without fighting for space every 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023
Visit site
Hi, clueless parent alert…

My son is 7 and wants a laptop mainly to play CK3. He currently plays it on xbox but he says he wants a pc laptop so that he can use mods.

Can anyone recommend something? The cheapest possible option would be best. Would a kids gaming laptop run ck3?
For a 7-year-old who wants a laptop mainly to play CK3 and use mods, a budget-friendly option would be suitable. While a gaming laptop may be ideal for running CK3 smoothly with mods, it might be more expensive. However, there are affordable laptops that can handle the game adequately.

Look for a laptop with these minimum specifications for a decent CK3 experience:

1. Processor: Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 (or higher).
  2. RAM: 8GB (or more) for smoother performance.
  3. Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 1050 or AMD Radeon RX 560 (or better).
  4. Storage: SSD (Solid State Drive) for faster loading times.
Considering the budget, you can also explore refurbished laptops or entry-level gaming laptops that fit your price range. Additionally, ensure the laptop meets the game's system requirements to avoid any disappointments.

Before making a purchase, read customer reviews and check online forums for suggestions from other CK3 players who use laptops within your budget. This way, you can find a suitable option that fits your child's gaming needs without breaking the bank.

TRENDING THREADS