Question Laptop causes other devices to disconnect from WiFi

Jul 21, 2020
Visit site
I am experiencing an unusual issue. I have a laptop that whenever it is connected to a WiFi network it brings the network down every 5-30m, disconnecting all other devices.

I have experienced this on 3 different WiFi networks (home, cabin, and friends home). If the laptop is off, these networks work fine. As soon as I turn it on and connect it to the WiFi, the issue resumes.

In each case there are several other computers, phones, and many other devices connected to these networks. They have no issues until this laptop is connected to the WiFi and then they get disconnected every 5-30m.

However, this is the second laptop that I have seen this happen with. I returned the first laptop hoping the problem was isolated to just that one. The two laptops are:

Acer Spin 3 (N19W2)
HP Pavilion x360 (14-cd2053cl)

I'm not sure if this is being caused by a certain type of hardware that both these devices happen to have in common or what.

Any ideas?
What additional information do you guys need?

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Hmmm, that is odd. From a networking standpoint it is very important to attempt to isolate the issue. Does the same thing happen if you are directly wired to the system (Ethernet cable connection) what kind of routers are these? When was the last time you updated drivers on your computer?
Something that may also help, depending on your technical skill level, is to do some LAN monitoring. Here is a source that I like to trust with some suggestions on doing that

Jul 21, 2020
Visit site
Hmmm, that is odd. From a networking standpoint it is very important to attempt to isolate the issue. Does the same thing happen if you are directly wired to the system (Ethernet cable connection) what kind of routers are these? When was the last time you updated drivers on your computer?
Something that may also help, depending on your technical skill level, is to do some LAN monitoring. Here is a source that I like to trust with some suggestions on doing that

The laptop doesn't have an Ethernet port, so that isn't really an option.

One of the routers is a Google Nest WiFi, the other is a CenturyLink C1100T, and the last one I'm not sure.

I attempted to update the drivers during my troubleshooting, but they were already the most up to date.

I'll have to look into these LAN monitoring tools and see if they can reveal anything more, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS