Kick-pull of a plugged in USB cable, fix/replace or upgrade components?

Jan 31, 2023
Visit site
Hello guys,

So yesterday i had a bit of an inconvenience that i stepped on a front-case plugged-in USB-cable with one leg while "kicking" it with the other leg and i assume it did some damage either to the front-case usb input or the entire motherboard, since the whole computer froze until i restarted it. After it booted back up I noticed that it's now only detecting 8GB of ram instead of 16GB which the computer has installed and also all USB inputs on the case and back of the motherboard go dead and become unresponsive after computer goes to sleep mode, so it has to be restarted by power button to regain functionality.

I am assuming that my unintentional acrobatics on the plugged-in usb cable did some damage to the motherboard so i am wondering if it makes sense to replace the motherboard and possibly a faulty RAM stick, or it would make more sense to go for an entire new setup, since my current PC was built back in start of 2019 so in pc-age years is starting to get old. Since it is mostly a working computer, i would transfer my current GPU to the new one and possibly a power supply unit if it would make sense?

List of current components:
-CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, s. AM4, 3.7GHz, 16MB cache, Octa Core
-Motherboard: ASUS STRIX X470-F Gaming, s. AM4, AMD Athlon, Ryzen 1. & 2. Gen.
-HD: 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL Black, WD1003FZEX
-RAM: 16GB, KINGSTON, HyperX Fury, HX432C18FB2K2/16, DDR4, 3200MHz, kit 2x8GB, CL18
-SSD: 500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO, MZ-V7E500BW, NVMe, M.2, 3400/2300 MB/s
-CPU Air Cooler: BE QUIET! Shadow Rock 2 (BK013), 120mm
-GPU: Gainward GeForce RTX 2070
-PSU: 700W, BEQUIET Pure Power 11, 80 PLUS Gold (92%), PFC, 120mm vent

So assuming that the motherboard and one of ram sticks are faulty, im somewhat leaning towards buying a new motherboard, CPU and ram sticks, could the other components from the current PC be transferred and still used despite their age on the new device?

Thanks for all the answers.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I am assuming
I'd troubleshoot the existing platform to see if the issue is with your motherboard(BIOS needs updating, if the USB ports weren't fried/shorted) or if the chipset drivers ended up being corrupt. You shouldn't just go to a buy this to solve my problem approach when you end up with an anomaly unless you were looking for an excuse to upgrade/swap platforms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts