Hard Drives stop working

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Last week when I was at my friends place we found a bunch of old but serviceable parts and decided to try and put together a PC. We had almost all the parts (which were compatible) but needed a hard drive or SSD to put windows on

After putting together the PC and buying a HDD from a local tech store, I tried to install windows 10 from a USB, but the hard drive wasn’t showing up. I then went into the BIOS and saw that the HDD wasn’t even being picked up by the motherboard’s SATA connector

I then plugged in my HDD from my main computer to see if it was a faulty SATA port or cable, but no luck either. However when I put the HDD into my computer, my computer wouldn’t detect it. I could only find it under “hidden devices” under disk management, where it said it isn’t connected properly (code 45)

I’ve tried replacing the SATA cables, changed the connection ports for both HDD’s. This morning I went and returned the HDD i bought and replaced it with a new one. I checked to see if it worked first (which it did), then checked if it ran in the computer I was building (again, no problems connecting) but then once I plugged it into the SATA ports in my main computer it had the same issue

Does anyone know what is happening here or how I can fix my HDDs. I’d rather not go out and buy more if they’re just going to have the same issue

Current PC specs:

Motherboard: Asus Prime B550M-A
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5
GPU: GTX Titan
PSU: Corsair RM 850x
RAM: 16gb

Building PC specs:

Motherboard: MSI x299 Gaming m7 Ack
Processor: Intel i5 4670k
GPU: GTX 780ti
PSU: Antec 850 High Power Gamer
RAM: 16gb