Good enough?

• Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good

• Bad

• Total voters
For comparison, one of my pcs is an i5 4690k, gtx 980, 16gb ddr3, 550w corsair psu and it still crushes games at 1080p on a gsync monitor. Im not sure about the 9590, but mine is still in daily use with little problems. Obviously i can't max out most new AAA games that come out for it, but it's still a good experience. So i put 'decent' and if it works well enough for the games you play then its still got some tread on it!

Reactions: Zacharacamyison
I was given a rig with parts from 2013; wondering if it’s sufficient for this year.

Define sufficient :)

What uses, what games, what settings, etc? Uses other than gaming?

The CPU is, objectively speaking, not a very good one. But it might be good enough, in which case you might as well use it until it's not good enough any more.

One thing you will want to do with that CPU is check the temperatures. It uses a lot of power under load. A lot of power. AMD were losing badly to Intel at the point where that CPU came out, and so to try to look like they were competitive they pushed clock speeds to 5GHz on certain models of CPU like yours. But all that really achieved was insanely high power draw and as a result, lots of heat, as pushing the frequencies like that was massively inefficient.

The video below might be of interest. It benchmarks a CPU from the same family - albeit a slightly slower CPU that uses a lot less power - in some modern titles against other CPUs.

Having spent 20 minutes producing data on how it doesn't do very well nowadays, the presenter still notes that he happens to have one at home and it's fine for his home gaming system.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Gcg-tFfu0

Reactions: Zacharacamyison
Aug 17, 2020
Visit site
Define sufficient

What uses, what games, what settings, etc? Uses other than gaming?

The CPU is, objectively speaking, not a very good one. But it might be good enough, in which case you might as well use it until it's not good enough any more.

One thing you will want to do with that CPU is check the temperatures. It uses a lot of power under load. A lot of power. AMD were losing badly to Intel at the point where that CPU came out, and so to try to look like they were competitive they pushed clock speeds to 5GHz on certain models of CPU like yours. But all that really achieved was insanely high power draw and as a result, lots of heat, as pushing the frequencies like that was massively inefficient.

The video below might be of interest. It benchmarks a CPU from the same family - albeit a slightly slower CPU that uses a lot less power - in some modern titles against other CPUs.

Having spent 20 minutes producing data on how it doesn't do very well nowadays, the presenter still notes that he happens to have one at home and it's fine for his home gaming system.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Gcg-tFfu0
I appreciate the response. Decent to me is new games at low-medium settings @1080p.
ideally I’d like to run 4K max settings but I know that’s not going to happen. Before this I had an outdated pc that doesn’t run games newer than 2017 so I’ll take what I can get.

ideally I’d like to run 4K max settings
Wouldn't we all!

The PC should achieve what you're after, i.e. modern games on medium. Higher than medium in quite a few titles too - will depend on the game, and your tolerance for framerate drops.

While you'll generally be GPU limited, as one should expect in gaming, you may find the CPU is an issue in some titles / some parts of some titles, affecting performance. But even so, it's not like the game won't run. You shouldn't need to worry about buying a game and not being able to play it at all - even if the experience is sometimes a bit choppy.

See how you go, and make sure to check temps.

TRENDING THREADS