Is 63 too old to learn how to use a controller?

Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Now that we're all looking forward to spending even more time stuck at home, it could be the perfect time for me to finally get to grips with a controller and retire my mouse. what game would you recommend to help me master a controller? Note, first person view makes me feel icky. Thanks in advance lovely forum people.

Reactions: MaddMann

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Hmmm, which console? If you like RPG's I would say go with final fantasy XV or maybe something like crypt of the necrodancer if you like rhythm games. I always love playing the Ace Combat games on controller as well.

Reactions: Sarafan and AnnGSP

Zoid

Community Contributor
Now that we're all looking forward to spending even more time stuck at home, it could be the perfect time for me to finally get to grips with a controller and retire my mouse. what game would you recommend to help me master a controller? Note, first person view makes me feel icky. Thanks in advance lovely forum people.
Well, what games do you currently love to play? The best game to learn to use a controller on is whichever one of your favorite games would benefit the most from analogue controls.

Controllers are great at controlling vehicles, so if you enjoy racing or flying games, those would be a great start.

The simplest games to try with a controller would be 2D games, like side-scrollers that only require left-right movement. Depending on your tastes, Braid, Limbo, or Inside are good ones.

Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Well, what games do you currently love to play? The best game to learn to use a controller on is whichever one of your favorite games would benefit the most from analogue controls.

Controllers are great at controlling vehicles, so if you enjoy racing or flying games, those would be a great start.

The simplest games to try with a controller would be 2D games, like side-scrollers that only require left-right movement. Depending on your tastes, Braid, Limbo, or Inside are good ones.
Thanks Zoid. I think simple and slow are good words. Limbo looks particularly touching. I tried super mario kart but I was so rubbish, and didn't seem to improve at all.

Reactions: MaddMann
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
With a little practice you should adapt to the controller. Definitely I don't suggest shooters for learning how to use it. You may be discouraged if you start with this genre. Start with something easier. Maybe a turn-based RPG? I suggest Torment: Tides of Numenera if you don't mind reading a lot.
Wow, Tides of Numenera looks amazing and a massive time sink. On my wish list.

Zoid

Community Contributor
Thanks Zoid. I think simple and slow are good words. Limbo looks particularly touching. I tried super mario kart but I was so rubbish, and didn't seem to improve at all.
Wow, Tides of Numenera looks amazing and a massive time sink. On my wish list.
Limbo is a great game, but pretty dark at times and it can be challenging. If that's not your cup of tea then you may not enjoy it, but it is good with a controller.

@Sarafan mentioned Tides of Numeria, which is great. Really any other turn-based RPG would be great for taking things at a slow pace (though "simple" definitely doesn't describe them). Divinity Original Sin 2 is one that I would recommend and one that includes decent controller support.

A game that would play well with a controller as well as being relaxing and low-stakes would be Abzu. If you want to try full 3D movement with a controller, that would be one to check out since the swimming in it feels very satisfying.

Reactions: AnnGSP and Sarafan
Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
I'm 53 and switching between a controller and a mouse helps repetitive strain. You're definitely not too old to try if you have an interest. Some games work so much better with a controller too.

I have Xbox, Steam, and DualShock 4 controllers, but mostly use the DS4. It fits my hands better and button reach is easiest. The Steam controller has the worst reach and is the most clunky to use, but also the most powerful by a long shot. If you have BlueTooth you can use a wireless DS4 and not worry about a chord. The Xbox controller is for those few games that just won't work well with any others.

Steam games have a little icon by them that let you know if there is partial of full controller support.

Another game that works great with a controller is No Man's Sky. It's a first or third person casual science fiction exploration game with a retro-futuristic art style.

Julez

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
Definitely third person games. If you're looking for something low pressure, I highly recommend Life is Strange. The first chapter is free on Steam and the rest of the chapters go on deep deep sale every time there is a Steam sale.

Reactions: Zoid and Frindis

Zloth

Community Contributor
My grandma didn't even start to learn to play games until she was in her 90's. 60's ain't nuthin.

Getting to grips (yeah, I see what you did there!) with a controller is great but I don't see the point in retiring your mouse. Controllers are real good for some things - particularly things that were good with joysticks back in the day. Mouse/keyboard is better for others.

Subnautica seems like a good one to try out but so many games support controllers now that it's a lot more about what game you want to play than whether it supports controllers or not.

TRENDING THREADS