Question intel XE graphics

Feb 1, 2022
Visit site
some of the systems on the Dell sight show the intel XE graphics as being shared ram... and the tech specs showing things lik 8gb + 4 gb, 12gb + 4 gb

DO i assume the lower stated value of ram is for the XE graphics?

IS it better then the inegrated vega graphics on AMD integrated processors?

IS the intel XE with an apparent 4gb of dedicated RAM the equivalent to an nvidia RTX 30xx series graphics card with 4 gb of onboard RAM?

some of the systems on the Dell sight show the intel XE graphics as being shared ram... and the tech specs showing things lik 8gb + 4 gb, 12gb + 4 gb

DO i assume the lower stated value of ram is for the XE graphics?
Sounds weird. AFAIK Iris XE doesn't have designated VRAM, so its sharing system memory like integrated graphics usually does. I looked at the Dell website and couldnt find what youre talking about here. I havent used integrated graphics in a long time but seem to remember you could set the amount of RAM dedictated to VRAM in the BIOS somewhere. Maybe Iris demands 4GB at all times.

IS it better then the inegrated vega graphics on AMD integrated processors?

IS the intel XE with an apparent 4gb of dedicated RAM the equivalent to an nvidia RTX 30xx series graphics card with 4 gb of onboard RAM?

Iris XE wont be anywhere close to the performance of any RTX card, not even the older 2000 or even GTX 1000 series, except maybe the very low end GT1010 they just released or maybe a GT 1030 DDR4. Even if it had 16GB VRAM available it wouldnt have the power to use it.

Scroll down to the bottom of the table to find the fastest desktop Intel Iris to date according to Toms Hardware hierarchy. The Vega 7 and 8 is slightly better in their tests. There are older versions of Vega used with older Ryzen CPU's that may be worse or better depending on which models...

With laptops you have to be a bit careful, because the same chip and graphics solution can perform better or worse depending on the cooling of the laptop or the amount of power the manufacturer lets it use. Better to look up reviews for the specific laptop you are considering rather than the CPU or graphics itself.

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Apparently the Iris XE Max version has a dedicated 4GB of LPDDR4 of VRAM, so I was wrong about it sharing the system RAM. There are different SKUs as the Iris names been around a few years now.

The marketing slide from Intel is not promising much. Heres the TPU relative performance of the Nvidia MX350. For a laptop solution its not terrible, comparable to high end GPU's from 10-12 years ago.

One thing I do know for sure is any GPU using low power DDR and not specialized GDDR for VRAM is not going to be very fast for gaming. Might be good for Esports and older games, maybe some newer ones at very low settings. Depends what you want from it, and if Intel can get the drivers right.

Reactions: Brian Boru