Indonesian government blocks game sites, and more

Jul 30, 2022
Visit site
do you know, Indonesian gamers are sad now, the government has blocked the game store site,
are there any Indonesian gamers here?

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from the unhelpful "i know, but i want pour out my heart".]

Last edited by a moderator:
The Indonesian government has blocked popular gaming sites and web services after they did not register for a new set of licensing rules.
Websites and services blocked include Steam, Epic Games, Battle Net, Ubisoft, Origin, Nintendo, Yahoo, and PayPal. PayPal has since been temporarily unblocked to allow Indonesians a five day window to withdraw their money.

The new rules, first announced in November 2020, give Indonesian authorities the power to compel platforms to disclose certain user data and take down content deemed unlawful or that "disturbs public order" within as few as 4 hours.

Earlier this month, Indonesia had urged tech companies to sign on to these new licensing rules before a July 20th deadline. Some companies, including Amazon, Facebook, and Google, speedily met the deadline. Others, clearly, did not. It's not clear in any case if moral objection, or simple ignorance, has caused this situation.

• Haha
Reactions: Lutfij
I feel like this is another instance where the idea behind the new law was good on paper/in a meeting, but the real-world ramifications were seriously underrated. My gaming heart goes out to anyone being restricted from doing anything, and here's to hoping these companies jump on ship for their customers' sake. 🍻