I'm new to pc building and just upgraded my psu and gpu but now my cpu overheats (100°C)

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Hello everyone,
As the title says, my Cpu overheats at 50% workload and I really don't know why. I'm new to pc building! Like really new!
So pc was fine (bought it pre-built in 2018) until I decided to upgrade my gpu ( from gtx 1050Ti 4gb to Rtx 3060 12gb) and psu ( from Tooq xge 525W to Nox 650W)
First I'm using a nox hummer case it has 2 fans rear one exhaust and front one as intake ( front one used to be exhaust too before the upgrade, and then I read online that it should be intake so I switched it)
Cpu is i7 7700k and has a cooler fan ( Arctic alpine 11GT)
I also reapplied thermal paste on processor during the upgrade ( Hutixi 1.0W/m-K) it seems to be a cheap one but that's all I could find in my city.
Additional details :
Ambient temperature is around 30°
- Hwmonitor is the software I used to check for the temperature
- picture of the build: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xrbu71fo62_FQpbE7wZvr7higZ6n1Kt5/view?usp=drivesdk

Thank you

Reactions: Brian Boru
Did you remove the old paste properly before applying the new paste?
Is it seated correctly? If the fan is spinning the it might be a case of the fan not being seted correctly/lose. However, that cooler is not realy enough for your CPU so i would replace it with somethign better, from what i can gather the cooler is rated at 80w TDP while your CPU is rated at 91w TDP.

All of the above. Also the new GPU you bought is creating around twice as much heat as the old.

If the cooler is seated properly and you still have a problem, replace it and add in an extra case fan either exhausting above the CPU or in the front.

Not sure exactly which Nox Hummer case you have, but check what the clearance if for your case from the manufacturers site under specs and see what your max is. Pick up any 120mm/140mm single tower cooler with 4 heatpipes under that height and itll be more than enough for your CPU at stock.

Something like this:

Or this:

Reactions: Brian Boru
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Did you remove the old paste properly before applying the new paste?
Is it seated correctly? If the fan is spinning the it might be a case of the fan not being seted correctly/lose. However, that cooler is not realy enough for your CPU so i would replace it with somethign better, from what i can gather the cooler is rated at 80w TDP while your CPU is rated at 91w TDP.
Hello and thanks for you reply
Yes I did carefully remove the old thermal paste , and I believe I decently applied the new one (after watching some tutorials ),I also checked the stability of the fan and that the 4 plastic pins were firmly stuck in the motherboard. However I had no idea about the tdp rating , indeed an upgrade should be considered. it's just that it was working just fine before

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
All of the above. Also the new GPU you bought is creating around twice as much heat as the old.

If the cooler is seated properly and you still have a problem, replace it and add in an extra case fan either exhausting above the CPU or in the front.

Not sure exactly which Nox Hummer case you have, but check what the clearance if for your case from the manufacturers site under specs and see what your max is. Pick up any 120mm/140mm single tower cooler with 4 heatpipes under that height and itll be more than enough for your CPU at stock.

Something like this:

Or this:

hello and thanks for you reply

it's the Nox hummer MC . I do have one free slot for an additional fan in the front and above the cpu (also two at the bottom it seems ) . I will order 2 fans maybe re-check the thermal paste again and I'll let you know

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
hello and thanks for you reply

it's the Nox hummer MC . I do have one free slot for an additional fan in the front and above the cpu (also two at the bottom it seems ) . I will order 2 fans maybe re-check the thermal paste again and I'll let you know
Problem is that your old GPU made the CPU yawm performance wise while the new makes your CPU bottleneck (more ore less) and the new GPU generates allot more heat spreading in to the chasies. Your CPU cooler was probably on the limit before and is now unable to cope. As above stated, get a new CPU cooler based on what fits in your chasie.

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Hello guys thanks for your replies, the problem is finally solved. as per your recommandations I replaced my cpu cooler with a new one (thermaltake toughair 310 ) and bought two case fans (bequiet pure wings 2 120mm) except that I didn't know that fans had different pin connectors( 4 pins connector while I only had 3 pin plugs in my case) I ended up using just one ( plugged directly to the motherboard ) as intake; and it's fine. thanks again for your help

Reactions: Why_Me

TRENDING THREADS