Question I want a track ball

So i play a lot of adventure games and VN's. They are very relaxing games and can be played with just a mouse. But that means i must be sitting up and such, but i don't always wanna do that. I watch TV from my bed on the ol big screen because i just need to be out of my chair, but it got me to thinking why not a track ball, verse a steam controler which needs two hands to use. I am a huge fan of one handed game play, aka a mouse, Support the one armed gamers. But from a everyone side, a nice gui and a mouse click to me is way better than a keyboard+mouse.

I am going to give a HUGE shout out to the folks that made Oxenfree, For a post launch patch that gave full mouse support for moving around, it is now a true point and click adventure!!!!!!! (PCG, let the folks know about this one, it completely remakes the game, and what a fantastic X-filesish style game it is) But i digress.

My entire point here is to get some advice on a good Trackball mouse that i can lounge back in bed/recliner and play with just one hand on an arm rest. I saw this one, but i dunno. Cheep and it looks ok, but i wanna know if there are better options. Just clicking in a VN, or dragging around a character in a point and click/Hidden object.. that is what i'm looking for, though now that i think about it, it could work great for a strat game or even turnbased. Anything that moving does not count on speed to much.

Thoughts on this subject are welcome, I have used a track ball long ago playing starcraft of all things, it didn't go well lol. but i did use it for a short time in BG and thought it was solid, cleaning became an issue but i think these days i won't mind. I am really looking for advice on ones that are good to try. The steam controller is great, but it is for more complex games and needs two hands. I am looking for a one handed option for a pure comfort reason, aka my arm resting at my side and just clicking/rolling. https://www.newegg.com/logitech-910-001799-m570/p/N82E16826104407

Reactions: Frindis and SWard
Mar 8, 2021
Visit site
Besides, A trackball isn’t as accurate as a good-quality mouse, but it can be more precise than a trackpad for anyone looking to eliminate repetitive motion from mousing around too much. Although trackballs can help some people with some symptoms of repetitive stress injury.

SWard

Supergirl
Staff member
We actually covered track ball mice some time ago, here's editorials take: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/should-i-use-a-trackball-for-gaming/

Tech radar recommends:
Logitech Ergo M575 Wireless Trackball

+Ergonomic design
+Long battery life
e+Great for small spaces

REASONS TO AVOID

-Non-rechargeable-
Not the most durable

Take the pressure off your wrist and let your thumb steer for a change. The Logitech Ergo M575 Wireless Trackball’s thumb control is smooth, responsive, and keeps your wrist and arms comfortable and at rest. Adding to its comfort is the ergonomic shape of its palm rest, which reduces hand and arm fatigue. Sadly, it’s not rechargeable, but the fact that it gives you about 24 months of battery life does help.

Reactions: JCgames and Frindis
Seems like you want to try the art of boiling egg yolks into perfect spheres.

:ROFLMAO: YEAH, I kid!

Truth is, I'm a kid of the 80's and trackball mice were part of my childhood. Once infrared/optical mice came to be, I didn't look back and honestly the activity of cleaning the inner housing of the trackball mouse was a PITA, considering the environment we lived in was dusty and there was the addition of lint gathering where the rollers inside were.

If you're not married to the trackball idea, perhaps a vertical mouse might suit.

Fyi you can also get vertical keyboards :)

Reactions: Frindis and SWard