I can't find decent GPU that fits my CPU

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
Hey all. Longtime lurker, first time poster. I have this computer and was hoping to upgrade graphics card so I can game in 1440p/1080p ultra. Is there a GPU that outshines the GTX 1050 Ti 4gb that I have in there now? Definitely for $400 or less. Preferably around $300.. I'm "worried" that my CPU essentially won't allow a higher end card to run at maximum performance. Stupid small form factor desktop. I wasn't a huge PC gamer until recently; after I bought this PC. I would rather not have to buy a whole new desktop if I can.

Would something like the GTX 1070 mini be ok? Will it be worth the cost as far as when compared to the GTX 1050 Ti 4gb that I have now.
Thanks! You're all the best!

The issue is not necessarily a CPU bottleneck, the issue is that there are almost no graphics cards that are better than what you have that will fit in the case (and/or be powered by the existing PSU), and the ones that do exist aren't worth the money as an upgrade.

Also from a very quick google it looks like connectors for the mobo and the PSU, are proprietary and the mobo may not be one of the regular sizes, meaning transfer to a new case would be impractical. And arguably not worth doing if you could, anyway (because old CPU, limited PSU, extra cost of hacking to make the system fit a new case, etc...)

You may well be looking at a new system.

How long have you had that PC? If you'd just bought it, I'd send it back for a refund. $450 is a pretty crazy price for that when you could probably buy a similar used PC on ebay plus a new low profile GPU for ~half the price.

Also from a very quick google it looks like connectors for the mobo and the PSU, are proprietary and the mobo may not be one of the regular sizes, meaning transfer to a new case would be impractical. And arguably not worth doing if you could, anyway (because old CPU, limited PSU, extra cost of hacking to make the system fit a new case, etc...)
This right here! HP and other manufacturers like Dell make their systems proprietary. If it were me I would search some cheap builds either on here or on the BuildAPC subreddit. Find a good starter build and get as far away from these proprietary builds as possible. I know this might not be the answer your looking for, but trust me you'll be happier in the long run.

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your replies! Just for shits, would that GTX 1070 mini that I linked in my previous post fit my PC? If not, what card would (that's similar/higher in quality to it)? I'm just too invested in my current PC to have one built, etc.

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
Ohhh, lastly.. If I decided to build my own pc, would most of my components in my current PC work with it? Such as the RAM, Motherboard, etc.. I wish there was a site that told you which parts do/don't work with other parts.

Read my post again - I already answered these :) I'll be even more explicit here though, and then explain in more detail.

You can't upgrade the GPU.

You can't move the system to a new case in order to upgrade the GPU

You didn't link a 1070, but it won't fit. "mini" 1070s are not mini in the way you would need them to be mini. Same with other cards with similar names.

Your PC is in a special SFF case. This means GPUs need to have 'short' PCIe brackets to fit. The only cards that have this are the lowest power ones like the GTX 1050 ti.

The 1070 mini's "mini" refers to the GPU length, i.e. how long it is measuring from the back of the case towards the front of the case. Regardless of whether you can find a GTX 1070 (or any other GPU) short enough to fit in your case that way - it won't matter. Because the PCIe brackets will be the wrong size so you will be unable to install it.

Regarding moving the system to a case that would fit the GPU, you won't be able to fit the motherboard and/or connect the case's front panel to the motherboard.

And (according to material via google) the PSU doesn't have a PCIe power connector to power more powerful graphics cards either as far as I can't tell. And you can't replace the PSU because the power connection to the motherboard is proprietary.

I'm reluctant to even mention the next bit in case you think it's a good idea. it's not, it's a really, really stupid idea. However, to prevent someone else posting this and failing to address how dumb it is, I have to cover it. There are a couple of models of GTX 1650 that are technically more powerful than your 1050 ti and that would fit your system. I say technically, because it still won't achieve close to what you are looking for, and is only a bit more powerful than your 1050 ti (despite the number in the card's name looking bigger). You therefore should not buy one of these special 1650s. Your funds are (I'm assuming) limited and spending that kind of money on a very limited upgrade is a terrible return on your investment versus saving up to buy a new system. It will give a bad experience for the money, and only make it take longer to get your inevitable upgrade as you need to save up those $150 again. It'd be like shredding $150.

To specifically address the existing parts you have and reusing them:
- Mobo - no, because proprietary connectors, and possibly irregular form factor
- PSU - same, also inadequate PCIe connectors for better GPUs
- CPU - no, because you need a compatible mobo - and compatible used mobos on ebay can sell for more than new mobos supporting new hardware - and a lot of the cheapest ones on ebay are taken from systems like Dells and HPs that have proprietary connectors. Your CPU will be a limit to performance in some titles, especially with a GPU upgrade, so sinking more cash into re-using a CPU that you will want to replace soon anyway is again a bad use of money.
- RAM - no, because new motherboards use DDR4 and your is DDR3.
- GPU - yes, but that was the part you wanted to upgrade to begin with.
- SSD - yes, you can use the SSD in a new system at least

Sorry that news isn't better but I hope that explains more clearly why what you're looking to make happen isn't viable.

Keep using your existing system for as long as you can bear to, then buy/ build a system that meets your needs (and doesn't have proprietary connectors).

Just a note on buying 2nd hand PC stuff. There are, I'm sure, some genuinely good deals out there. But it's very, very easy to end up sabotaging yourself by buying 2nd hand - often the pricing is basically a trap, you get less or simply 0 warranty, and you limit yourself for future upgrades meaning you need to spend more in the long run to replace things just to let you upgrade the stuff you want to upgrade.

When you do replace your system, give very serious consideration to buying new. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: defhalotones

TRENDING THREADS