Huh ? Steam Gifts - Rule Changes ?

Hello

I'm interested in buying some games from the Steam Store on sale - but this confusion is holding me back for now...

Please note that my query might be split into two distinct groups of answers..... That is - if it makes a difference if I buy keys in a Bundle or on their own (all directly from Steam) ?

I have heard something about Steam changing the rules on buying Games/DLC as Gifts from their site? I wanted to find out what the go is?

BTW - does it all work the same with DLC's/non-'actual game' purchases too? Never tried those as gifts so no idea?

I have bought games for myself in the past - bought as Gifts (for myself to my main account - bought with my main account.

Reason being - I get them on sale - if i'm not in a rush to play them; I keep them unactivated as Gifts.

Thinking I might get way cheaper copies in a Humble Bundle or something in the future; and then I could maybe give the Gift keys to a matem, or swap them with someone etc.

I have Gift Keys for games in my inventory which I have bought in the past.... and when I had a look just now; it seemed it still looks like it will allow me to email those to someone else whenever/if I want to?

But I understand that ability is not there anymore if I buy new Games as Gifts from now on?

I'm thinking whoever the game is bought for/emailed to at the point of sale - that that's the only - final owner - ever? Even if it's not activated? Is that right?

And if it is - is there any way around this?

I have two steam accounts, my main one and one I rarely use - a backup.

If I bought a Gift key for myself from my 'backup' account, and had it emailed to my main account at the point of sale....

Would that mean it would still be locked to my main account forever - so it's not really a gift any more in the old sense? It can't ever be passed on to anyone else?

Remember - when you answer this stuff - to fill me in on if it makes a difference if I buy keys in a Bundle or on their own (from steam)?

Thank you for your help.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Hello

I'm interested in buying some games from the Steam Store on sale - but this confusion is holding me back for now...

Please note that my query might be split into two distinct groups of answers..... That is - if it makes a difference if I buy keys in a Bundle or on their own (all directly from Steam) ?

I have heard something about Steam changing the rules on buying Games/DLC as Gifts from their site? I wanted to find out what the go is?

BTW - does it all work the same with DLC's/non-'actual game' purchases too? Never tried those as gifts so no idea?

I have bought games for myself in the past - bought as Gifts (for myself to my main account - bought with my main account.

Reason being - I get them on sale - if i'm not in a rush to play them; I keep them unactivated as Gifts.

Thinking I might get way cheaper copies in a Humble Bundle or something in the future; and then I could maybe give the Gift keys to a matem, or swap them with someone etc.

I have Gift Keys for games in my inventory which I have bought in the past.... and when I had a look just now; it seemed it still looks like it will allow me to email those to someone else whenever/if I want to?

But I understand that ability is not there anymore if I buy new Games as Gifts from now on?

I'm thinking whoever the game is bought for/emailed to at the point of sale - that that's the only - final owner - ever? Even if it's not activated? Is that right?

And if it is - is there any way around this?

I have two steam accounts, my main one and one I rarely use - a backup.

If I bought a Gift key for myself from my 'backup' account, and had it emailed to my main account at the point of sale....

Would that mean it would still be locked to my main account forever - so it's not really a gift any more in the old sense? It can't ever be passed on to anyone else?

Remember - when you answer this stuff - to fill me in on if it makes a difference if I buy keys in a Bundle or on their own (from steam)?

Thank you for your help.
Gifts that aren't redeemed in 30 days are refunded to the buyer now, so I don't think you can do what you used to do through Steam. You can still buy bundles and save your keys, though.

2x New Related Questions....

If I Gift a Steam game to a friend so we can both play together / try it out at the same time. I'm wondering - can we play for 2 hours and then decide if we want to keep it or refund it.... can he or I refund the gift I gave him?

How would that work exactly?

Also, for my copy (or just normal purchases for myself in general)... As long as I've applied for a refund - can I continue to play that game until it's refunded/removed (I might change my mind?) - or will that end up in a refusal for refund ?

And if I did change my mind and it wasn't removed yet - can I cancel my refund request?

I'm thinking for the odd game where it has a painfully long start that goes no where or makes no sense - then finally moves on and or starts to gel and you finally start to enjoy it?

I've read conflicting advice on this so I really don't know how it might really end up in real life?

Thanks for your help

Reactions: Pifanjr
2x New Related Questions....

If I Gift a Steam game to a friend so we can both play together / try it out at the same time. I'm wondering - can we play for 2 hours and then decide if we want to keep it or refund it.... can he or I refund the gift I gave him?

How would that work exactly?

From the Steam help page:

Can I refund my gift?
A refund may be issued for any gift that was purchased within fourteen days and has been played less than two hours by the gift recipient.

If the gift recipient has already redeemed the gift, you'll see the following message when you try to refund the gift: This product was gifted to user (Account name). They'll have to use the Support site to request a refund for this product first.

The gift recipient should follow these steps to approve the gift refund and removal:

Navigate to the Support Site and log in to Steam.
Click Games, Software, etc.

Find the gifted game in the list and click on it.
Select the problem that best represents the reason why you're not keeping the gift.
Click I'd like to request a refund
Finish the request by selecting the box for Allow the original purchases of this gift to request a refund

You can proceed with the refund request once the recipient has initiated the refund and approved the removal of the gift from their account.

Also, for my copy (or just normal purchases for myself in general)... As long as I've applied for a refund - can I continue to play that game until it's refunded/removed (I might change my mind?) - or will that end up in a refusal for refund ?

And if I did change my mind and it wasn't removed yet - can I cancel my refund request?

I'm thinking for the odd game where it has a painfully long start that goes no where or makes no sense - then finally moves on and or starts to gel and you finally start to enjoy it?

I've read conflicting advice on this so I really don't know how it might really end up in real life?

Thanks for your help

As long as you stay under two hours of total playtime you're probably okay.