How old school are you? Share your game

Nov 29, 2022
Visit site
How well do you remember you first old school game ? share one gaming experience because i got mine.
It was on an Olivetti PC operating on DOS and was still in black and white version.

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from unhelpful ALL CAPS.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
i don't think its a competition as really then it does depend when you are born. I am sure there are people who can name games older than the 1st I saw...

When I said it was before games, I was not exactly correct. The games industry didn't exist is probably a closer statement. People were making games but many were text based or point/click (not like Diablo). First game I played is a mystery, probably something on a tv game in the 70's.

Reactions: Brian Boru
No idea what the first game I played was, probably Tank Battle on the Atari, one of those anyway. The cartridge art was way more interesting than the games to me at that age.

First game I actually managed to do OK was probably Star Raiders 2 on the ZX Spectrum, maybe Star Wars was before that hard to say. A lot of games at that point I played but had no idea what to do, and trying to use a Joystick to control some of those games was a nightmare at the age of 5/6 or so.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HFzBRblNUk

First PC game I played would either be Ultima 6 which we co-oped with a friend up the road, or maybe Waxworks. First PC game on my own PC would be be Theme Park as it was packed in with the machine.

Nov 29, 2022
Visit site
No idea what the first game I played was, probably Tank Battle on the Atari, one of those anyway. The cartridge art was way more interesting than the games to me at that age.

First game I actually managed to do OK was probably Star Raiders 2 on the ZX Spectrum, maybe Star Wars was before that hard to say. A lot of games at that point I played but had no idea what to do, and trying to use a Joystick to control some of those games was a nightmare at the age of 5/6 or so.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HFzBRblNUk

First PC game I played would either be Ultima 6 which we co-oped with a friend up the road, or maybe Waxworks. First PC game on my own PC would be be Theme Park as it was packed in with the machine.

nice

Zloth

Community Contributor
Errr, isn't this just a repeat of ye'olde 'first game' topic in the general thread?

Reactions: WoodenSaucer
Does anyone remember when going to the arcade meant playing pool and pinball? I can barely remember that, but most of my earliest arcade memories at least include a Space Invaders or Pac-man cabinet.

I can remember one that was half & half. one side was all arcade machines, stand up & sit downs, other side of floor was Pinball machines and Pool tables. And a jukebox... I can still remember the layout. and a counter for change. that was only about 35 years ago now...

Reactions: WoodenSaucer

Zloth

Community Contributor
Does anyone remember when going to the arcade meant playing pool and pinball? I can barely remember that, but most of my earliest arcade memories at least include a Space Invaders or Pac-man cabinet.
Yep. The bowling alley had an area with a whole bunch of pool tables and some pinball machines. Computer arcade games started showing up, too.

Don't tell my mom, but sometimes I would use the money I was supposed to use to play in my bowling league to play video games and pinball. (That was long enough back that you would sometimes see pennies with the old 'wheaty design' and not be shocked.)

Yep. The bowling alley had an area with a whole bunch of pool tables and some pinball machines. Computer arcade games started showing up, too.

Don't tell my mom, but sometimes I would use the money I was supposed to use to play in my bowling league to play video games and pinball. (That was long enough back that you would sometimes see pennies with the old 'wheaty design' and not be shocked.)
I think I still have a couple of wheat pennies around somewhere.

Reactions: Zloth
Apr 1, 2023
Visit site
Although I had a Vic20 and a Spectrum before the Commodore 64.....one memory I have of our C64 was the Cassette loading times (could be easily 20 mins). Our Cassette player stopped working...but somehow we worked out if you applied pressure on the top, it kept loading. Me and a my friend used to kneel on the cassette during loading....we used to try swap at about the 10 min mark is it killed your knee.....was a disaster if you were off it more than a few seconds as the loading failed and you had to start again.

• Haha
Apr 8, 2023
Visit site
I remember playing Super Mario Bros on my NES when I was a kid. It was my first old school game and I loved it.

I would spend hours jumping on goombas, collecting coins and mushrooms, and trying to rescue Princess Peach from Bowser.

One gaming experience that stands out for me was when I finally reached the last level of the game. I was so nervous and excited at the same time. I had to dodge fireballs, lava pits, and hammer bros to get to the final showdown with Bowser. It was a tough fight, but I managed to defeat him by hitting an axe that made the bridge collapse under him.

I felt so proud and happy when I saw Mario and Peach reunited. It was one of the best moments of my gaming life.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts