How many indie games do you own?

May 16, 2021
Visit site
Okay, my Steam account has 448 games (I blame humble bundle and Steam discounts).

I was gonna put out a percentage, but I decided to try Steam's dynamics collection feature and it tells me that I have 324 games tagged as Indie.

So yeah, huge percentage. Super misleading as you know, Humble Bundle shits out bundles of games, so it's not like I bought 324 games individually.

Reactions: widilegra
May 16, 2021
Visit site
1xXvbyK.png

vGEfyOe.png

VQ6hrtJ.png

Okay, so I have 471 Indies out of 755 total.
(I blame humble bundle and Steam discounts)
Yep, those Summer & Winter sales are a killer! Fanatical gets some of my blame too.

Anyway, that's 62% of mine are Indie. Hmm, I would've guessed over 80%… but I have bought a lot of old classics over the years.

You're 72%, I expect most people with over 100 games total will be 75% or more. What about it, folks? :)

Reactions: Yussy02

Zloth

Community Contributor
I get 48 out of 193 but I'm rather dubious of that tag. Endless Space 2 is on the list but it's made by Amplitude and published by SEGA. Egosoft had help publishing back in the day but they've been publishing all their own games for quite a few years now - yet none are on the list. Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children is self published but isn't there.

I think these are only showing ones where the publisher-provided tags has "Indie" or you add the tag yourself.

May 16, 2021
Visit site
I get 48 out of 193 but I'm rather dubious of that tag. Endless Space 2 is on the list but it's made by Amplitude and published by SEGA. Egosoft had help publishing back in the day but they've been publishing all their own games for quite a few years now - yet none are on the list. Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children is self published but isn't there.

I think these are only showing ones where the publisher-provided tags has "Indie" or you add the tag yourself.
I've always defined "indie" as anything under $30, but seeing Hades tagged as Indie is a bit questionable...

Sure enough, Endless Space 2 is $40, so it wouldn't match my definition for sure.

I have 10 but then I only have 23 Steam games. So about half of them are indie

odd, Torchlight 1 & 2 are Indie but Torchlight 3 isn't?

time spent playing indie compared to rest? Well, I played Torchlight 2 for 1312 hours, no other game approaches that but some I have were played before Steam included them. So the times spent playing them is lost to the ages.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yussy02 and Pifanjr
I think these are only showing ones where the publisher-provided tags has "Indie" or you add the tag yourself
That's my assumption also.

Yeah, Endless Legend & Endless Space are on my Indie list too, as are Fallen Enchantress & Grey Goo. Amplitude, Petroglyph and Stardock could be classed as Indie I guess, at the top end of the scale.

But eg Carcassonne doesn't show up—checked store page tags, indie isn't one of them. While Asmodee is #2 in the world for board games, Asmodee Digital is definitely still small fry in video games.

I guess we call this an interesting exercise, but nothing to bet the farm on :)

72/184

Only thing glaringly un-indie would be Endless Legend. Battle Brothers at least doesn't show up which perhaps should do. 20 of those played less than an hour, and 22 of those over 10 hours.

Probably spent more average on indies as I'm more likely to pay full price and buy DLC for those I like.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
My list shows 202 Indie of 431 total.

Some of those are questionable as mentioned above. I don't have a monetary cutoff for what counts as Indie to me. For me it has to do with studio size, publisher association, and deep pocket funding sources. Also, some games started out as Indie and have really taken off - ARK, Divinity:OS, and No Man's Sky to name 3 that are somewhat questionable now, but maybe weren't when they launched.

Some of the games I've picked up in the last few months that I consider truly Indie: Ara Fell, Avorion, Cat Quest 1 & 2, Cloudpunk, Craftopia, Thimbleweed Park, Ion Fury, Kathy Rain, Last Epoch, and Valheim.

The dynamic tagging system isn't very reliable. It totally missed adding Dusk, Amid Evil, Besiege, Cat Quest 2, Cryofall, Darkside Detective: A Fumble in the Dark, Gedonia, and some others. You get the idea. :)

I would say about half my collection on Steam are indie or close enough.

TRENDING THREADS