How do I change the cpu cooling fan speed?

BB1

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
Total noob here.
I just installed a Noctua NH-U12S Redux set up to a AMD Ryzen 5 1400 computer. I have tried to set the fan speed in the BIOS and fans run at normal speed in BIOS mode, but its still at full throttle once you start up. The motherboard is a MSI b350m Bazooka. And the BIOS is 7A38v1N3(Beta version) .

I thought this would be a quick fix, but now I'm not sure how to fix it. Can anyone help me? Thank you

Last edited:

BB1

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
I appreciate you taking time to help. I have never done anything like this and don't know what you mean by "clean install". I am upgrading a gaming PC from 2017. I just plugged in the new fan and turned it on. The old one wasn't working. As far as I know its not a temp issue.

Reactions: Brian Boru

BB1

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
abq.png

BB1

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
Are you sure that it is the CPU fan and not the GPU fans that are revving up?

You could always try installing some of the MB software and try talking control of you CPU fan speed that way.
Yes I am sure it is the cpu fan. I'm sorry it takes me so long to figure things out. I don't know anything about computers and am cramming as much as I can as fast as I can. So what kind of MB software are you talking about? I tried Speedfan, but I didn't understand the program.

try this, it will tell us if its software causing it or not

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Windows itself shouldn't be over riding bios settings so it has to be something running with startup.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS