Question Help with my new gaming pc build

Sep 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys im building my first gaming pc and i think i finally found the build im after, im new to all of this so advice would be amazing, is there anything im missing with this build ? im after a pc that will run arma 3 well aswell as whatever else. advice needed . thanks guys

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD

Corsair 750W RM750 Gold Power Supply

Intel Core i7 9700F

EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER SC Ultra Gaming, 6GB

Corsair CMW16GX4M2D3600C18 Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz DDR4

ASUS Prime B550M-A (WI-FI) Motherboard

Cougar MX410 Mesh-G Black ATX Case, Tempered Glass Window, No PSU

The motherboard and CPU are incompatible - B550 is for certain AMD CPUs.

I'd suggest not buying the system yet. AMD are announcing their Zen 3 CPUs in a couple of weeks, Nvidia have just launched some new GPUs and will likely launch a few more in the coming months further across the spectrum. There'll probably be a big lift in the bang you get for your buck. AMD are also announcing their new GPUs in October.

The 9700F is somewhat obsolete. The Intel 10600KF would be a better bet at a similar price, and comes on a newer platform. But Zen 3 could be a better option still.

Other quibbles would be that the 970 Evo is very expensive and unlikely worth it versus a less expensive NVMe SSD, the savings from that going into (say) a better GPU. The case isn't one I can find good reviews of, so it's a bit of an unknown. It looks like a safer bet than some of the other cases in the price range on sale on that store due to the mesh front, though that alone doesn't necessarily mean anything.

You also need to consider what monitor you're gaming on - the resolution and refresh rate.

The end of this year is stuffed with new hardware launched, coinciding with the next gen consoles and new round of games, so it's a good time to build but I'd suggest waiting to see what the new things offer us.

Sep 26, 2020
Visit site
im set on buying a gaming pc on Tuesday I have 2k Aus to spend. able to help me build a gaming rig that's compatable with parts? plz :)

You'll be keeping the thing for several years, and the new parts are expected to give well above a generational leap in performance.

If you can wait, I would really, really recommend it.

It will give you more time to learn about parts too :)

Sep 26, 2020
Visit site
the whole situation is alreadys driving me bannannas. i want it over.... what about this system ?

i7 10700

Asus tuf z490 plus gaming motherboard

1660 super

Samsung 970 evo plus 500gb, m.2 nvme sad

cooler master mwe gold 750w psi

and a tuf gaming gt301 atx case

Sep 26, 2020
Visit site
You'll be keeping the thing for several years, and the new parts are expected to give well above a generational leap in performance.

If you can wait, I would really, really recommend it.

It will give you more time to learn about parts too
also wouldn't the price be more even if I wait?

also wouldn't the price be more even if I wait?

Unlikely. The price would be the same or less.

It's a common myth that the "latest and greatest" must cost more than the old generation, but that's not generally how it works. Whatever the new generations offer will give you either: more performance for the same price - or the same performance for a lower price.

Often you can get both i.e. more performance for a lower price.

For example, the RTX 2080 ti was the champion gaming graphics card for 2 years since it launched in Sept 2018. It costs $1100 USD

Nvidia just released the RTX 3080 which costs $700 USD and demolishes the RTX 2080 ti in performance.

Obviously you're not shopping in that end of the market, but GPUs lower down the stack are coming out with the 3060 ti already leaked (and will probably launch late October to try to steal some thunder from AMD's RDNA2 graphics card launches)

Similar situation with CPUs. AMD have been releasing their new Ryzen CPUs at similar price points to what the outgoing Ryzen CPUs cost at launch. The Ryzen 5 1600 launched at $189 USD MSRP. The Ryzen 5 2600 for $199 USD. The 3600 for $199 USD. So the price doesn't really get inflated.

Also, it's likely to be cheaper than Intel, where the prices have been creeping up somewhat. The 10th Gen Intel CPUs are expensive, and the Z490 motherboards that go with them are also expensive.

Whereas AMD's CPUs are less expensive, and there are less expensive motherboard options too.

the whole situation is alreadys driving me bannannas. i want it over.... what about this system ?
Perhaps that's another argument for taking a step back - then when you go into the buying and the building you'll have had more time to get on top of it all - and make sure your cash gives you the best PC possible :)

It will work, technically, but seems like sub optimal value in that you're buying an expensive 8 core, 16 thread CPU, but a locked version despite it being on a high end motherboard, which is kind of giving you the worst of all worlds by costing a lot but not quite maximising the potential performance. The GPU is mid-range at best - and you've not specified what monitor is being paired with it. Same comment as above re the SSD. You've not specified a CPU cooler, so presumably you're looking to use the stock cooler. The stock cooler is basic at best and with any Intel part anywhere near this kind of level you'd want an after market cooler of some kind.

Sep 26, 2020
Visit site
It will work, technically, but seems like sub optimal value in that you're buying an expensive 8 core, 16 thread CPU, but a locked version despite it being on a high end motherboard, which is kind of giving you the worst of all worlds by costing a lot but not quite maximising the potential performance. The GPU is mid-range at best - and you've not specified what monitor is being paired with it. Same comment as above re the SSD. You've not specified a CPU cooler, so presumably you're looking to use the stock cooler. The stock cooler is basic at best and with any Intel part anywhere near this kind of level you'd want an after market cooler of some kind.

1) why a 10700 / k / kf over a 10600 / k / kf? Is it because it says "i7" in the name?

2) Do you need integrated graphics? Do you know what the / k / f / kf suffixes mean on Intel CPUs?

3) Why Intel over an Ryzen 3000 series which is cheaper and will give very competitive performance even in Arma III.

4) still need to define the monitor you're gaming on before talking about the build. Picking a PC without any idea about the monitor you'll be using is like trying to pick a car or a van without any idea who / what / how many / how much people / stuff you'll be using the vehicle for.

I really suggest taking a step back here. :)

Anyone here could tell you to go buy X + Y - but they'd be telling you to buy things you're not familiar with. So you've no way of knowing if it's sensible or good value.

Plus the new releases are really worth waiting for. It's mad to sink $600 AUS into a 10700KF (30% of your budget!!) when it may be about to get superseded with something better/cheaper/both, and when you're not sure a 10700kf even is the best option for you versus all existing alternatives anyway. Nevermind the ones getting announced in 12 days.

Sep 26, 2020
Visit site
dude do you even understand why I am asking questions? I'm asking questions to learn, I don't need your attitude and sass, look I have a rough idea what k f kf mean but I still have questions, like what's the point of having integrated graphics when I'm gona have a separate gpu. if you'd let the convosation flow naturally instead of ignoring questions and keeping controle over the convo. it could have gone alot better. but safe to say, I'm out. next time you wana help someone don't ignore them every 2 seconds, your help is no longer needed, thanks

That wasn't attitude, it was genuine. I was asking questions not to accuse you but to point out the very large gaps you'll want to fill before spending cash, and that Tuesday is an unrealistic deadline.

I was also pointing out - relatively gently - that your plan isn't even a plan.

But basically you just want to buy something and don't really care what. In which case, happy spending :)

Sep 26, 2020
Visit site
That wasn't attitude, it was genuine. I was asking questions not to accuse you but to point out the very large gaps you'll want to fill before spending cash, and that Tuesday is an unrealistic deadline.

I was also pointing out - relatively gently - that your plan isn't even a plan.

But basically you just want to buy something and don't really care what. In which case, happy spending
i have cared I have spent a week on forums and scorptecs websight mixing and matching asking people questions ect, tuesday is realistic if that second build will work then I think I'm done serching, I want to run armor 3 so the 9700k was a good option and you said no get the 10700 so I swapped it, and the motherboard can take upgrades down the future and the graphics card will do what I want untill I upgrade to a 2080, i dont currently have 900$ to spare. so that second build is the better option, that atx case should fit, and the ram will get upgraded to a 3600mhz or possably 4000mhz in a cupple months. i was asking questions to get the build I'm after and getting told to wait again is not helping. i have put this pc off since 2016 because every time I do **** I get told to wait, well it's been 4 years of waiting and I'm sick of the wait, I don't need something that's super overpowered, Im after a good processor and now i have the 10700kf, I'm set on building this pc, do you see my frustration?

what would you recommend if I have my own gpu? the kf or the k? I chose the kf as I have my own gpu, is this the correct choice? I feel like it is. arma 3 should love it

It's totally true that there's always something just over the horizon in tech. And you can always wait for the next thing. Intel are releasing Rocket Lake in 202 H1 (so we believe). There may be GPU refreshes or even new models next year. AMD will likely refresh CPUs next year too. Blah Blah.

But this is a huge season. Tech reviewers will be working themselves to exhaustion Sept-Nov/Dec. And tbh if you've waited 4 years you might as well wait a few weeks for the biggest hardware season we're having certainly since I started following this stuff. Hype is dangerous as it can lead to unfair disappointment, but there's a lot of reason to have high expectations of what's coming out imminently. Zen 3 is being showcased in less than 2 weeks.

The only sensible advice anyone can give you tbh is to wait - I'm certainly not going to encourage anyone to purchase a CPU today unless their current PC is on fire and they need a PC for their work without which they'll lose contracts or similar.

To answer the question about why an iGPU on the CPU if using a dGPU anyway, it's situational like if the dGPu dies you can keep using the PC at least in some capacity, or you can use it to power extra monitors without asking the dGPU to do it. But you don't need one and it's very common for modern CPUs not to have the integrated graphics; AMD's Ryzen desktop CPUs don't, and obviously all of Intel's popular -F CPUs don't, and weigh in a smidge cheaper as a result.

if I were buying an Intel CPU I'd probably get one with the iGPU for that reason, but my next CPU purchase is fairly likely to be Zen 3 - which lacks an iGPU, but so be it. I have spare old cards and for those who don't a Geforce 710 is only about the cost of the price difference between -f and not-f models anyway, should a cheap GPU be needed for an emergency.

But in reality, I wouldn't buy a CPU with an iGPU today because it'd mean I was buying an expensive Intel part days before the Zen 3 reveal. :)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS