Question HELP!!! Graphics card stopped working 2 hours in top PCI slot

Jun 19, 2020
Visit site
Hello,
Please help me this is very urgent I am freaking out. I just recently upgrade my computer motherboard to a ASUS prime x570-p and my cpu to ryzen 7 3800XT. I have a evga 1660 supper graphics card as well that I took from my old gaming rig to be plugged into my ASUS prime x570-p. Short story after I got the rig up and running my graphics card stopped working in about two hours in the top PCIE slot. For some reason I think i restarted my computer and my monitor would say no video signal. I checked everything so I moved my graphics card to the bottom PCIE and it started working again. Please let me know how can I fix this because I am freaking out thinking that my motherboard is fried already 2 hours after building my rig. Please someone help me out I dont know what to do and I am really fighting pulling the motherboard apart and getting a new one unless that is my last option.

You could reset the CMOS on the motherboard and see if that does anything. The manual will explain how.

If the motherboard is brand new, contact the store you bought it from, explain it's faulty, and that you want a replacement. If you want a replacement instead of a refund.

if it's outside the returns window you can just claim on the warranty via Asus.

It's not necessarily something that you did. Components can and do die. Perhaps yours had a fault when it left the factory that was just waiting to show its face.

When you contact the shop / Asus, don't open with "I might have fried my motherboard" though :) - open with "my motherboard doesn't work properly" and explain the symptoms and what you have tried to fix it.

Depending on the store you might not even need to give much detail on why you want a replacement e.g. Amazon's process doesn't ask for much info, only for you to say that it's faulty.

Jun 19, 2020
Visit site
You could reset the CMOS on the motherboard and see if that does anything. The manual will explain how.

If the motherboard is brand new, contact the store you bought it from, explain it's faulty, and that you want a replacement. If you want a replacement instead of a refund.

if it's outside the returns window you can just claim on the warranty via Asus.

It's not necessarily something that you did. Components can and do die. Perhaps yours had a fault when it left the factory that was just waiting to show its face.

When you contact the shop / Asus, don't open with "I might have fried my motherboard" though - open with "my motherboard doesn't work properly" and explain the symptoms and what you have tried to fix it.

I will contact the store, I bought it from microcenter. But the funny thing is that it was working for about 2 to 3 hours and then for some reason I restarted my computer and then the problem started, my monitor saying there is no video signal.

It's not all that strange for a product to work briefly and then not, and a power cycle can be a trigger to make it go splat. Assuming it is indeed faulty.

Hopefully Mictrocenter can either troubleshoot it for you, or provide a replacement. They might well give you some further troubleshooting steps to follow before accepting it's faulty and replace it, but that's fairly common in RMA processes for obvious reasons.

Let us know how it goes.

Jun 19, 2020
Visit site
It's not all that strange for a product to work briefly and then not, and a power cycle can be a trigger to make it go splat. Assuming it is indeed faulty.

Hopefully Mictrocenter can either troubleshoot it for you, or provide a replacement. They might well give you some further troubleshooting steps to follow before accepting it's faulty and replace it, but that's fairly common in RMA processes for obvious reasons.

Let us know how it goes.

Sounds great thank you for all the help! It just sucks that I just upgrade my computer and now I am really lazy to pull the motherboard out and install a new one again. I just want to enjoy my gaming computer already lol.

Sep 21, 2021
Visit site
Sounds great thank you for all the help! It just sucks that I just upgrade my computer and now I am really lazy to pull the motherboard out and install a new one again. I just want to enjoy my gaming computer already lol.
Exactly the same happened to me with a new RYZEN 7 5800x and new 6800xt. One day I was sitting in BIOS when my monitor just turned off. I DID try buying a new MB(£700 STRIX CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA and went from a 750w to 1000w PS and bought new ram). Still didnt work again in top slot just the 2nd and third. So did yiu get it sorted out in the end?

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS