Question HELP broke pc, repair or replace?

Aug 6, 2021
Visit site
Hi my son is 23 and has disabilities so im sorting this out for him. i have no clue about computers! technically neither does my son.
So 6 yrs ago he bought a gaming pc, i dont have the details now after these years but it cost about £800.
So the other day his pc wouldnt work took it to repair shop they say motherboard and processor has blown.

price of a processor around 180 and motherboard 80 and pay around 60 to get it fitted...

should i buy these things or just buy a new gaming pc? can u get a gaming pc tower under 400 pounds as thats about the maximum budget?
also do i buy any motherboard and processor? will any one fit? i asked the repair man and when i asked which motherboard to buy he looked at me like to say get out the shop as he hasnt got time to help with that ...

do i need a cpu or just a motherboard and processor?

will the fans work with the new motherboard or need to buy fans aswel?

any help at all appreciated

im a 43 yr old mum so no clue about anything like this...

Thanks

Aug 6, 2021
Visit site
Thankyou, so next question is how do i find out what processor and motherboard are in the computer? as it cant work so i dont know how to find out?

there arnt many pc repairs in peterborough and ive only found this one and i have to find out myself what bits i need!

thanks for your help as i know nothing about this.

Amira

can u get a gaming pc tower under 400 pounds
Umm… Er… I have to say no. Anything you get around that price won't play any recent games, but would be okay for old games and indies. Main question is, what games does he want to play?

how do i find out what processor and motherboard are in the computer?
Open the case—should only be a few screws at the back, which hold on one or both side panels. Is there a make & model stamped or printed anywhere, we could guide better with some clue.
Take photos of the motherboard and CPU, upload them to Imgur.com, and post the links here—someone else here might be able to identify what you have.
he bought a gaming pc
Was it a brand name, like Dell? If so, their website might still have a list of components… if you can identify make/model—altho there are so many variations it might be impossible to pin it down.

when i asked which motherboard to buy he looked at me like to say get out the shop
It was more likely that he knows you won't be able to get replacement parts that old—not easily anyway. 6 years is a long time in CPU & motherboard product world.

Your budget is the main problem. I wouldn't advise anyone to put money into a 6yo machine, by far the better option is to buy a current or recent PC. Do you trust anyone to help you find a good second-hand machine locally, via word of mouth or classifieds?

TRENDING THREADS