Headphones: HyperX Cloud Alpha, HyperX Cloud II, Razer Kraken Ultimate

I enjoy buying headsets and trying them out. I'm not an audiophile, but I do like a good headset, so I thought I would compare these three along with a couple other non-gaming headsets.

All three are wired headsets (or at least the version I bought are), which I prefer. Not only do you not have to worry about charging them, but you don't have syncing problems which can sometimes plague Bluetooth headsets.

Firstly, the sound reproduction of all of these headsets is quite good. All three are clear in all ranges and handle bass effectively for headsets with relatively small drivers. At the cost, you really probably couldn't ask for more. They are clearly behind my two audio-only headsets, the Audio-Technica ATH-WS11000iS and the Bang and Olufsen HX, but I still use them just for music quite frequently and am pleased with them. The sound pressure, which can be important if you don't have a dedicated soundcard, is very good for all three and not the problem that it tends to be with Sennheiser.

None of the headsets have active noise cancelling, but their passive noise cancelling is sufficient where I play. Your results may vary.

Only the Razer Ultimate, of these three, has 7.1 surround sound, but all work, obviously, with the spatial sound that comes with Windows or with Dolby Atmos, which I use. To be honest, I've never felt that 7.1 surround sound works very well with headphones and much prefer a speaker set-up for this. I believe that your standard spatial settings are fine and wouldn't recommend spending extra money on the Razer just for the surround sound solution (which you have to download software to use).

The Razer plugs into a USB port, which you would think might cause problems, but I've never noticed any electrical interference. The HyperX headsets plug into your headphone jack. None of them need a separate mic jack.

The microphones are excellent, blocking outside noise, breathing sounds, etc. In fact, the microphones on these headsets have become so good that I don't see a need for an external mic like the Blue Yeti anymore. Both HyperX models have detachable microphones, but the Razer has what I consider the best solution, a fully retractable microphone. You won't know it's there when you aren't using it, which is a very nice feature, and you never have to wonder where you put it.

A big concern for me is the cable. Only the HyperX Cloud Alpha has a detachable cable. That means if you are rough on your headsets, you may have a problem replacing the cable on the other two.

All three are excellent gaming headsets. I would recommend the HyperX Cloud Alpha for it's excellent sound and detachable cable, but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

All three are wired headsets (or at least the version I bought are), which I prefer. Not only do you not have to worry about charging them, but you don't have syncing problems which can sometimes plague Bluetooth headsets.
I prefer wired headphones also. I had a bad experience with wireless headphones years ago (can't remember the name) where the sound sporadically cut out, and it was so annoying that I got rid of them. But I'm a big fan of headphones over speakers (haven't used my speakers in years).

I've been using the Cloud Revolver-S headphones for a couple of years now and I love them. Wired, closed back, detachable cable, detachable mic, in-line volume control, & 7.1 surround sound. Excellent directional sound for gaming and very solid construction.

I prefer wired headphones also. I had a bad experience with wireless headphones years ago (can't remember the name) where the sound sporadically cut out, and it was so annoying that I got rid of them. But I'm a big fan of headphones over speakers (haven't used my speakers in years).

I've been using the Cloud Revolver-S headphones for a couple of years now and I love them. Wired, closed back, detachable cable, detachable mic, in-line volume control, & 7.1 surround sound. Excellent directional sound for gaming and very solid construction.
I've got an Edifier speaker set that's fun to listen to (they make great value speakers), but I hardly ever use them unless everyone is gone. Strange that when I was young it didn't bother me to force everyone else to listen to what I was doing lol.

Headphone tech has improved dramatically over the last 10 years, though. You can get great sound reproduction for less than $100 now. Just amazing.

TRENDING THREADS