Have you ever uploaded gaming related videos to YouTube or streamed your play on Twitch?

I did a YouTube channel for maybe a year. I wasn't very good at it. I got up to about 1000 subs and finally called it quits. I just checked and it's dwindled down to around 600 subs now. My most watched video was around 1600 views.

I mostly did indie horror games.

I've never streamed to Twitch.

Every now and then I think I'd like to make a video on something, but it takes so much time that I just never commit to doing it.

How about you all?

I would never stream myself playing, that would just feel weird to me. However, I have thought about making in-game videos of certain games I play, but just the game play; then editing the different segments, putting them together, and maybe adding music.

I haven't really investigated that much, but I do think about it a lot, and I believe it's fairly easy to do with the Nvidia Experience Overlay. I'd love to do some segments of my modded Skyrim or FO4 playthroughs, just haven't taken the time to do it.

For those who have taken in game videos of their gameplay, how much of a resource hog is that going to be on my system, with the video recorder going, the game playing (especially a modded game)?

I know @Frag Maniac probably has before, or maybe he just uploads videos. I am not that observant to notice.

I have never done it myself, I don't want an audience. I don't need followers, I prefer to be ignored.
Yeah sure I've uploaded and posted tons of videos, and even worked extensively on video walkthrough guides of games like Ghost Recon Wildlands, The Evil Within, Doom Eternal, F.E.A.R. , and original Far Cry. When I make a guide it's generally on the hardest or 2nd hardest difficulty mode, and often with no upgrades, or even no HUD like in GRW. With F.E.A.R. and original Far Cry, I did them no scratch on hardest modes.

Generally when I pick 2nd hardest mode vs hardest it's due to the hardest mode being a restart the game if you die thing, or because the AI have robot-like inhuman response times and accuracy, requiring all upgrades to battle, many of which are very unrealistic. This is why Doom Eternal and Ghost Recon Wildlands were done on Nightmare and Extreme. I have beaten GRW on Tier One mode, and made it all the way to actual Tier 1, but it felt very silly and arcade. I had WAY more fun and just as much challenge playing it on Extreme with no upgrades or HUD.

The reason you don't see any of my videos here is I tried posting them one after the other like I've done on other forums, and the staff at the time took it as "spamming my channel", and deleted them. However I've since been told by some of the staff that's not how they do things now, so I may try posting some of them again, just to see how it goes.

I have never streamed though, and don't plan to. It doesn't interest me at all. The main reasons streaming isn't for me are, 1), I typically don't put up spontaneous content. I usually only post stuff I've gotten to know very well and already have a strategy and tactics in mind. 2), I'm not the type that feels comfortable showing myself or even narrating content in a public capacity, for security reasons. 3) there are many performance related problems with streaming that require a pretty good PC and IPS to overcome, if you want good video quality.

Last edited:
i did upload one or 2 videos on youtube but they were like 30 second videos from like Doorkickers and frozen synapse. I think it was more experimenting and visual aid when it game to queries for a particular game. In Doorkickers case i was wondering how i could do a breach, bang and clear move in the game.

Reactions: ZedClampet
Usually just to show off SoulCalibur VI custom characters, though i also record some clips of other games if i feel like they gotta be shared.

There's also the occasional topic that I feel like i need to speak out about, though that rarely comes up unless it's an issue that's personal to me that also happens to relate to gaming.

I would never stream myself playing, that would just feel weird to me. However, I have thought about making in-game videos of certain games I play, but just the game play; then editing the different segments, putting them together, and maybe adding music.

I haven't really investigated that much, but I do think about it a lot, and I believe it's fairly easy to do with the Nvidia Experience Overlay. I'd love to do some segments of my modded Skyrim or FO4 playthroughs, just haven't taken the time to do it.

For those who have taken in game videos of their gameplay, how much of a resource hog is that going to be on my system, with the video recorder going, the game playing (especially a modded game)?

I think Nvidia Experience is very light weight and shouldn't cause much problem.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Streamed few times. Mostly SC2 ladder when I was still active, and somehow few people wanted to see my gameplay. Not that it was anywhere near good level (like a pro or at least semi pro), but apparently I had such annoying style to play against that some people enjoyed suffering of my opponents.
Or they wanted to see me rage at some cheese or lament the general state of humankind.

Haven't streamed in a long time tho. Never had webcam or barely any overlay.

I've done YouTube on and off for 10 years, only managing to get ~1000 subscribers across all channels. I won't lie that my efforts were low quality, and I embraced the anachronistic elements such as uploading in 640x480, using older softwares and dated references in reviews. Still, most of my old videos are up, and have aged like a fine Zzzap! VHS.

My current channel is about D&D session recaps, and I hope to upload full reviews of the modules I play. Until then I just publish articles on the one-shots I've been doing recently.

I've occasionally posted some gameplay videos, but they were usually either brief bits of glitch footage, or some one-off, like at Halloween I played the new Homestar Runner Halloween game on itch [dot] io, and did horrible voiceovers for it. Things like that. But otherwise I agree with you that it's not worth the effort, unless perhaps one tries to do it for a living? :🤷:

Also, a thousand subs isn't all that shabby*. (I refuse to say what my max subs were, but it was considerably less than a thousand.)

(* - Unless you're, like, wanting to make money off of it, which is increasingly difficult on YouTube from the sound of things.)

I've occasionally posted some gameplay videos, but they were usually either brief bits of glitch footage, or some one-off, like at Halloween I played the new Homestar Runner Halloween game on itch [dot] io, and did horrible voiceovers for it. Things like that. But otherwise I agree with you that it's not worth the effort, unless perhaps one tries to do it for a living? :🤷:

Also, a thousand subs isn't all that shabby*. (I refuse to say what my max subs were, but it was considerably less than a thousand.)

(* - Unless you're, like, wanting to make money off of it, which is increasingly difficult on YouTube from the sound of things.)

I did a handful of t-shirt designs that took me a couple of hours, uploaded them to Spreadshirt, and make about $50 a month off of them. On the other hand, I wasted 4 hours a day for over a year making videos, never quite managed 1000 subs, and made precisely $0.

Of course I'm a bad YouTuber, but I would have thought I'd have gotten a check for something over that course of time.

If I ever upload videos again, I think what I need to do differently is to put my ugly face in them and stop trying to be funny. Only one person actually thinks I'm funny, but at least I crack myself up. I'm actually better at some of the games I play than a couple of the people I've watched who are successful. I'm just not good at the talking thing.

I actually streamed on Twitch for the first time last week. Not sure if it is something I will do often, but I certainly see the appeal to it. Had 30 unique views, and 6 chatters.

I can blabber on for hours about what i'm doing in the game, not sure if it is entertaining though!

Reactions: Krud and ZedClampet
Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
I think it would be a lot of fun, but not the type of person to be on camera. My friend however is taking his chance with it now. ill see how he does and then maybe i will try it too!

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I know this was resurrected by a One-Poster, but...

I've done a lot of YouTube videos, but never any gaming-related ones.

Its funny you necro'd this thread cause recently a youtube video I've had explode with views started trending again. It cut out right before 100K views and now it's looking to go over. I understand not the youtube "suggested videos" algorithm, and in no way am I trying to be a content creator. I mainly post videos for my friends.

Here's the clip (3 years old now!)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA8a8eYBxQg

Its funny you necro'd this thread cause recently a youtube video I've had explode with views started trending again. It cut out right before 100K views and now it's looking to go over. I understand not the youtube "suggested videos" algorithm, and in no way am I trying to be a content creator. I mainly post videos for my friends.

Here's the clip (3 years old now!)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA8a8eYBxQg
Haha. Now I look like the bad guy. Some other person with 1 post necro'd this thread. A mod must have deleted the post, and now it looks like I was the loser who did it. :LOL:

Zloth

Community Contributor
I don't have anything even close to 100K. All my videos together might make for 20K. My most viewed is from The Last Rem... oh. Well, it WAS a video from Last Remnant. Now it's a test I made twelve years back to try and upload a 3D video.
Strange - 3D Vision is dead now. I wonder why people are watching? {AHEM}

Former lead is a video showing how to beat Jager in The Last Remnant.

I just never commit to doing it.

Yea this is pretty much me. I streamed to twitch consistently for a couple months but didnt get more than 5-10 viewers at max peak but between making the commitment and then having to work all the time and dealing with setting up a studio and area to stream, just couldn't do it. I always think about trying to restart with some of the extra time i have but then i wind up just wanting to play a game and not have someone watching me.

TRENDING THREADS