Have you ever failed a tutorial?

I tried to play the tutorial for Prehistoric Kingdom and it didn't go so well. First, it told me we were going to get a new dinosaur and that I needed to put an adequate fence around his enclosure. Because it was the tutorial, I suppose, the only thing I could click on was the fence button, so I start building fences along the border. I get half way through and the tutorial says, "Great! Now place the animal." Okay, well, most of the enclosure isn't enclosed, but the only thing the game will let me do is put the animal down, which I do. He immediately wanders off to some other part of the zoo.

Now it tells me to take care of its needs. According to the animal panel, he needs a shelter and water, which is good because the only thing I can click on is the button for a shelter. So I place the shelter, and that need becomes grayed out. Now all I can press is the terraform tool to create a body of water. I create a pond, but nothing happens. I create a bigger pond. Nothing happens. This is literally the only thing the game will let me do at this point, so I make progressively bigger and deeper bodies of water until half the enclosure is covered in water. I still don't get credit for it.

But it doesn't really matter anyway because I find my dinosaur lying dead in the street.

Exit tutorial.

The beginning tutorial stage of Kameo was pretty tough. They drop you into a sequence where you have a lot of your powers and you're heading straight for the final boss. You have to learn how everything works in the thick of attacks. I didn't fail, but it's not easy when you're just starting off a new game and don't know anything. Right when you get to the final boss, they take away all your powers and send you back to your home land, and the game is much easier.

Another one that wasn't easy was Tomb Raider: Anniversary. The mansion training level was pretty detailed. It wasn't real hard, or anything, but they put a lot into it. I think I enjoyed that "tutorial" even more than the actual game.

Most of the games I play don't have a true tutorial, instead they generally have a "starter area" where you basically learn the mechanics of the game, but it's also a part of the game's story as well as your character's story. Like escaping Helgen in Skyrim, the beginning vaults in Fallouts 3 & 4, or wandering around in Candel Keep in BG1. Partially a tutorial, and partially the beginning of the game.

I do remember one game that had an optional tutorial at the beginning to learn the games mechanics, and that was the original Deus Ex. There was a NATCO training facility that you could take your JC Denton through to learn all the things you could do within the game. The first time playing, I continually failed the sneaking test near the end of the exercise. I had to replay that section several times before it made sense to me. Which was actually a good thing, because I ended up playing a sneaking/hacker type character.

I have noticed that some games provide a demo which takes you through the controls and part of the story. One such was "Beyond: Two Souls". The action starts, I make notes about the controls, pay attention to the story and then find myself in a "training sequence" where I have to beat up my trainer in self defence. The problem is that it is a QTE - and I suck at QTEs! I understand why QTEs are introduced but often if you can't get past it then it is "game over". Glad for the demo - saved from wasting my money.

In Far Cry New Dawn's opening sequence, I got stuck—I couldn't find a way around the loads of enemy highwaymen. Kill a bunch and another bunch would appear…

On second play, after I ran out of ammo, I said 'Well gosh darn'—perhaps not that exactly—and just charged a couple of guys for fisticuffs.

Turns out the way thru was to get captured, and then escape out the far side :confused: 😲

In Far Cry New Dawn's opening sequence, I got stuck—I couldn't find a way around the loads of enemy highwaymen. Kill a bunch and another bunch would appear…

On second play, after I ran out of ammo, I said 'Well gosh darn'—perhaps not that exactly—and just charged a couple of guys for fisticuffs.

Turns out the way thru was to get captured, and then escape out the far side :confused: 😲

I'm probably thinking of the wrong game, but I could have sworn I just used a combination of stealth and running for my life at the beginning of New Dawn. Eh, that was probably something else, probably FC5.

I liked New Dawn, though. Map was a bit empty, and it felt like it was thrown together in a hurry, but the gameplay and systems were fun. I enjoyed upgrading the base and playing those extra mini-games.

Biggest problems we had were that sometimes, in co-op, you were supposed to do something with a vehicle, but your co-op partner couldn't get in. At one point my son was wing-walking and another time I was chasing after him on foot (he and an NPC were in a car) while desperately searching for another vehicle during a timed mission.

a combination of stealth and running for my life at the beginning of New Dawn. Eh, that was probably something else, probably FC5
There could well have been another solution of course—on my replay I just let myself get captured after collecting the local goodies.

Your story sounds like FC5. After a god-awful mostly video intro, you're in the middle of the woods with groups of bad guys searching for you. You can kill a few outliers which nets a weapon or two, but it's mostly avoid those fellas and head away from them.

I agree, New Dawn is on my regular replay list. Must make more use of the saw launcher next time!

Reactions: Pifanjr
I failed the Elden Ring Tutorial boss🤷‍:cry:.
I don't think that counts as failing. I died before I even reached the tutorial boss in Dark Souls, but that's something the developers want you to do so you get used to dying often.

I also remember dying multiple times to the very first enemy I encountered in Risen. I don't think that was a tutorial though, I think you just got thrown into the game.

Zloth

Community Contributor
NieR:Automata's tutorial... jeez, that thing was brutal for a tutorial! It starts out easy, but there's a boss fight at the end. The boss isn't bad if you know what you're doing, but it's the tutorial, so you don't. And, if the boss defeats you, you have to start the game over! No saving along the way!

I failed Fire Pro Wrestling's tutorial completely. To get through the first phase of the tutorial, I had to throw multiple light punches and heavy punches. I don't think I ever managed to get through it. Instead, I gave up and returned the game.

Jun 5, 2022
Visit site
I do remember one game that had an optional tutorial at the beginning to learn the games mechanics, and that was the original Deus Ex. There was a NATCO training facility that you could take your JC Denton through to learn all the things you could do within the game. The first time playing, I continually failed the sneaking test near the end of the exercise. I had to replay that section several times before it made sense to me. Which was actually a good thing, because I ended up playing a sneaking/hacker type character.

It's the best tutorial ever made in my opinion. Not biased at all by no means.

TRENDING THREADS