GTX or RTX?

Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
Hi!

I have found a reasonable price for my sons new gfx card but i have bean away from computing a while now and don't really know what to buy.
Would you prefer

ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 DUAL EVO OC
Grafikkort, PCI-Express 3.0, 1365/1755MHz, Turing
DUAL-RTX2060-O6G-EVO

Before a ASUS GTX 1660 OC HDMI 3xDP 6GB?

What is RTX? Is it better than GTX or what? :)

From what i can read about it it should be better than the 1660...

Yes, its better.
GTX cards been around 10+ years now, RTX is newer and the more powerful cards

RTX = Ray Tracing, better lighting - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_RTX

What is his system as you might want to make sure the power supply can run the GPU. the 1660 doesn't need extra power cables whereas the 2060 needs an extra 6 pin power cable. Power supply just needs to have that spare.
Needs at least a 450w Power supply - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2060.c3310

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
Yes, its better.
GTX cards been around 10+ years now, RTX is newer and the more powerful cards

RTX = Ray Tracing, better lighting - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_RTX

What is his system as you might want to make sure the power supply can run the GPU. the 1660 doesn't need extra power cables whereas the 2060 needs an extra 6 pin power cable. Power supply just needs to have that spare.
Needs at least a 450w Power supply - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2060.c3310

Thanks, he's got an 600w psu and i found the extra 6 pin conector i think.
So everything is cool then to buy this, his processor is AMD Ryzen 2600 and 16 GB memory.

Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
It should be fine. GPU is about 50% better than what he has now.
I would suggest a 2060 Super or a 2070, but those are impossible to find these days.

i would confirm cable before buying it

He has an old Geforce GTX 960 now. So i guess it must be better than 50% then... sorry if i was unclear.

Reactions: Brian Boru
He has an old Geforce GTX 960 now. So i guess it must be better than 50% then... sorry if i was unclear.
He will notice the difference then. Closer to 175% better.

I have a 960... in a box. It was the original GPU I put into an older PC. Its essentially the spare GPU I don't ever intend to use unless I have to. As it wouldn't like my new screen much.

Jul 26, 2022
Visit site

I have a 960... in a box. It was the original GPU I put into an older PC. Its essentially the spare GPU I don't ever intend to use unless I have to. As it wouldn't like my new screen much.

I know someone who will be very glad. :) Thanks for the help!

How much more is the RTX card? Because while the RTX 2060 is considerably better than the GTX 960, if there's a huge price difference between the RTX and the 1660 GTX, it might not be worth the extra amount. I have a GTX 1660 Ti at home, and it runs comparably to my wife's RTX 2060, the biggest difference being mine chokes on ray-tracing. But I don't know how a 1660 OC compares to a 1660 Ti either, performance-wise. If he wants ray-tracing capability, then the RTX for sure if you can afford it. Last I had checked it was double the price for not double the performance.

tl;dr: If you found a reasonably priced RTX 2060 then by all means get that. Otherwise an affordable 1660 OC is still a step up from the 960 by about 60%.

Could be a gift and the person getting Card doesn't know he getting it.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti/3165vs4037 132% better

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1660/4037vs4038 - TI appears to be about 20% better

reason GTX don't do Ray Tracing as well as RTX cards is the RTX cores. GTX has to simulate the same actions that RTX just uses hardware to run.

Its a shame Nvidia stopped making 20 Super cards before they started making the 30 series (and the drought of 2020/21 where you couldn't find any cards) as otherwise there were better choices available in the past.

Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
How much more is the RTX card? Because while the RTX 2060 is considerably better than the GTX 960, if there's a huge price difference between the RTX and the 1660 GTX, it might not be worth the extra amount. I have a GTX 1660 Ti at home, and it runs comparably to my wife's RTX 2060, the biggest difference being mine chokes on ray-tracing. But I don't know how a 1660 OC compares to a 1660 Ti either, performance-wise. If he wants ray-tracing capability, then the RTX for sure if you can afford it. Last I had checked it was double the price for not double the performance.

tl;dr: If you found a reasonably priced RTX 2060 then by all means get that. Otherwise an affordable 1660 OC is still a step up from the 960 by about 60%.

It's on sale here now for about 350 US dollars. I've found more expencive 1665 GTX so i guess this is a good deal...

Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
Could be a gift and the person getting Card doesn't know he getting it.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti/3165vs4037 132% better

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1660/4037vs4038 - TI appears to be about 20% better

reason GTX don't do Ray Tracing as well as RTX cards is the RTX cores. GTX has to simulate the same actions that RTX just uses hardware to run.

Its a shame Nvidia stopped making 20 Super cards before they started making the 30 series (and the drought of 2020/21 where you couldn't find any cards) as otherwise there were better choices available in the past.

Yes i am giving him this card as a birthdaygift. :)

Reactions: Colif
Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
I was checking the page where i was going to order the card from tomorrow and now it's unavailable.
But i found another one and are wondering if this i something likevice?

ASUS Geforce RTX 3050 Phoenix

I was trying to make my own comparison but i couln't figure out how to. :)

Forget this question, the price has gone up today.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
Today i found another card and ordered it from Amazon. I ended up with a
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SC 06G-P4-2062-KR NVIDIA Grafikkort, Svart, 6 GB

I was checking the PCI express on my sons motherboard and he only have 3.0 so i guess the other ones i have looked at wouldn't have performed at it's highest anyway.

This RTX 2060 6 GB is a really boost for him and he can play his far cry 6 now without lag.

Thanks to all who have answered my questions.

pcie 4 cards are backwards compatible but most GPU don't use the extra bandwidth now anyway. So it may not have made a big difference.
2060 is a good card.

I have an Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO OC so I would have been able to answer that question (just storms here so I not on much today)

pcie 4 cards are backwards compatible but most GPU don't use the extra bandwidth now anyway. So it may not have made a big difference.
2060 is a good card.

I have an Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO OC so I would have been able to answer that question (just storms here so I not on much today)

Just happened across it in the morning and it was a gimme. Didnt mean to step on any toesies. :D

this thread was quite informative.

also, one of my buddies would could probably use an upgrade like the GTX 960... his old work PC still has the GT630 in it. 😁🥔

he can only play casual 2D games on it and classics of between 10-15 years old games, and left 4 dead too at least.

Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
Must say that today is a sad day, got the new card and it must have an 8 pin connector for power and his PSU just have 6 pins. Is it a new PSU that is required here?

I found a convertercable for a couple of sek. so the computer is up and running. :)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS