Question Great internet speed, but slow connection on my new pc

Feb 18, 2021
Visit site
So we have pretty solid internet speed in our home. 11 ping, 417 download mbps and 41 upload mpbs.

My router/internet is setup downstairs in the office. I bought my first pc and it’s setup in my room upstairs, however the internet speed is terrible on it...111 ping, 4.5 download mpbs, and 25 upload mpbs?!?!?!?

I didn’t realize until delivery that my pc does not have built-in WiFi, so I bought a network extender (Netgear powerline 1000). This had pretty solid reviews overall. But how is my internet speed drastically slower on my pc compared to everything else in the house?

My PS4, laptop, phone, etc. all work fine on the internet up here, so it’s not an internet issue. What can I do?

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Hey FiremanDan,

I have actually had the same issue before. Thankfully it ended up being a pretty easy fix. I would suggest looking up the drivers for your computer (specifically the motherboard) and finding the LAN drivers. You will then want to uninstall the drivers for your current NIC (Network Interface Card). This site has some pretty good step by step instructions if you need.

Just as a precaution, before removing your drivers, create a restore point for your system. This is just a general precaution before removing a system driver.

So steps in order that you will want to try for this:
1. Find out what your network adapter is
2. Download the latest driver for it. DO NOT INSTALL YET
3. Uninstall current network adapter (and it's drivers)
4. Reboot your computer (it should ask you to do this anyway)
5. Install new driver (probably reboot again)
6. Test and let us know if this resolves your problem

Feb 18, 2021
Visit site
Hey FiremanDan,

I have actually had the same issue before. Thankfully it ended up being a pretty easy fix. I would suggest looking up the drivers for your computer (specifically the motherboard) and finding the LAN drivers. You will then want to uninstall the drivers for your current NIC (Network Interface Card). This site has some pretty good step by step instructions if you need.

Just as a precaution, before removing your drivers, create a restore point for your system. This is just a general precaution before removing a system driver.

So steps in order that you will want to try for this:
1. Find out what your network adapter is
2. Download the latest driver for it. DO NOT INSTALL YET
3. Uninstall current network adapter (and it's drivers)
4. Reboot your computer (it should ask you to do this anyway)
5. Install new driver (probably reboot again)
6. Test and let us know if this resolves your problem
Thank you. I also just found out that the network extender plugged in the wall in my room has a red light. According to its manual, green is the best, yellow is pretty good, and red is terrible.

Apparently the cause of the red light is interference (probably all the other electronics in my room).

So I put the extender outside my room in the hallway, and the light mostly switches from green and yellow. So I will need to buy a longer Ethernet cable tomorrow and run it from the hallway to my room.

If this doesn’t work, I’ll try your method.

MaddMann

Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Thank you. I also just found out that the network extender plugged in the wall in my room has a red light. According to its manual, green is the best, yellow is pretty good, and red is terrible.

Apparently the cause of the red light is interference (probably all the other electronics in my room).

So I put the extender outside my room in the hallway, and the light mostly switches from green and yellow. So I will need to buy a longer Ethernet cable tomorrow and run it from the hallway to my room.

If this doesn’t work, I’ll try your method.
If you want to try going wireless (with wifi 6 its WAY better than its ever been) PC gamer actually put out a new recommendation list for wifi adapters.
I have never used any of the ones they are showing, but I did use this one and it was fantastic.

Feb 18, 2021
Visit site
If you want to try going wireless (with wifi 6 its WAY better than its ever been) PC gamer actually put out a new recommendation list for wifi adapters.
I have never used any of the ones they are showing, but I did use this one and it was fantastic.
Ahh okay I’ll definitely keep this in mind since I’m mostly using my PC for gaming/streaming anyway.

The reason I didn’t buy a wireless is because someone told me my pc can only do Ethernet cable. I’m not sure how true this is because I’m completely new to pc. But as long as I have USB ports that shouldn’t matter right?

Here is a link to the pc I bought. https://lytetechnology.com/product/horizon/

MaddMann

Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Well, with that information, I can tell you your drivers are located here:
You only want 1 of the LAN drivers. Specifically the top one -Realtek LAN Driver (Note) Win10 ver.2004 supported.
Yes, so long as you have a usb port, you can use any usb wireless adapter. The one I link can easily be slotted in your system if you want an internal card that doesn't take up a USB port.

Reactions: FiremanDan