Graphics Card Question

May 14, 2020
Visit site
First timer here in the community. Have a question about a card purchase.

Just purchased this card, a Gigabyte Radeon RX 570, direct x 12,GV-RX570, 8GD rev2.0, 8GD 256 bit, PCI express 3.0X16 with Crossfire X support. Is this a decent card to work with a intel core i-5 4690k 3.5ghz, lga 1150 processor and a z97 pro4 lga 1150 atx asrock mobo, 850 watt PS and 16 gigs of ram?"

May 14, 2020
Visit site
If you already own that system it'll do well at 1080p for gaming.

What case do you have?

Is it a GPU upgrade? What did you have before?

Current GPU is a ASUS Radeon R7 370 , overclocked STRIX 4 GB GDDR5 .My case is a Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Mid Tower. Also have a Crucial BX200 240GB SATA III 6 Gb/s 2.5 solid state SSD drive. So I would think of it as a upgrade, would you?

Last edited:

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
What do you mean my Power Supply is a bit OP ?

Basically your power supply can delivery waaaaaay more watts than you need. It's a bit OP as in it's overkill for the rest of your specs (from what we can see here). Most people with a simular PC will have a power supply arround 500-650 watts, hence.

It's not necessarily bad, but it just means you have more than you'll (probably) ever need :)

May 14, 2020
Visit site
Basically your power supply can delivery waaaaaay more watts than you need. It's a bit OP as in it's overkill for the rest of your specs (from what we can see here). Most people with a simular PC will have a power supply arround 500-650 watts, hence.

It's not necessarily bad, but it just means you have more than you'll (probably) ever need

Oh, ok. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. I've blew PS's before.

What model is the PSU out of interest?

Being safe with the PSU is not as much about wattage as having one that isn't garbage quality.

As for the GPU, your system should support the RX 570 and will be a big upgrade.

Make sure your PSU has the right quantity / combination of PCIe connectors for your specific model of GPU - probably just 1 8pin.

May 14, 2020
Visit site
What model is the PSU out of interest?

Being safe with the PSU is not as much about wattage as having one that isn't garbage quality.

As for the GPU, your system should support the RX 570 and will be a big upgrade.

Make sure your PSU has the right quantity / combination of PCIe connectors for your specific model of GPU - probably just 1 8pin.

It's a Corsair TX850 850 watt 12volt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Power unit. A poster above me, said it's too much power, for my system. I've blown some PSU before, so I thought I was playing it safe.

It's a decent enough model.

PSUs going boom aren't as much about the wattage as whether you have a good model.

Overprovisioning - where you buy an 850W PSU for a system that under torture load would need, say, 400W - tends to serve no purpose these days. You buy what you need, with a little headroom for upgrades if you want. It's not a problem that you have an 850W PSU, but when you next buy a PSU it probably doesn't need to be 850W.

I think that's all people are saying :)

Your PSU has enough of the right connectors for your RX 570.

May 14, 2020
Visit site
It's a decent enough model.

PSUs going boom aren't as much about the wattage as whether you have a good model.

Overprovisioning - where you buy an 850W PSU for a system that under torture load would need, say, 400W - tends to serve no purpose these days. You buy what you need, with a little headroom for upgrades if you want. It's not a problem that you have an 850W PSU, but when you next buy a PSU it probably doesn't need to be 850W.

I think that's all people are saying

Your PSU has enough of the right connectors for your RX 570.

Thanks for the tips. I'm kind of a novice in all this. Live and learn. :)

I find life with PCs tends to involve a lot of learning, often on the PC's terms rather than mine :p

This video might be interesting if you want to hear a little more about PSUs. It's JonnyGuru (Jon Gerow), one of the best known and most respected PSU experts in the tech community debunking a few PSU 'myths'. Talks about various things including overprovisioning.

Reactions: Inspireless Llama

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Haha I agree with Oussebon here. Also, all my knowledge (in how far that goes) is self thought. As far as I'm aware there's no specific "PC" education :p.

All the things I know so far are done by lots and lots of research and reading.

TRENDING THREADS