Question Graphic issue with Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC!

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've just bought a "gamer PC", whose specs are: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core, CPU 3.70 GHz, RAM 64GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080.
Isn't it good enough? I think it is. AND YET, here's what this game looks like...:

Does anyone know a way to fix it? That would be much appreciated!

ROTR isn't a new game, I've played it a while ago on a PC that was certainly not as powerful as this one, and there was no problem...

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

I played a few hours last year on an i7-7 and 1060—so yeah, not an overtaxing game :)

Hopefully one of our experts will have some suggestions for you shortly.
Thanks, man! I kinda hope so too. ^^; Especially as it's not the only game I'm having a technical issue with on my PC. Anyways. This is why people like consols!

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
They look like the kind of graphical artifacts that happen when a GPU has unstable/faulty VRAM.

Assuming you have already reinstalled your GPU drivers using DDU from Safe Mode (Link) you might well have a faulty GPU.
Thanks for the answer!
No, I have definitely not reinstalled my GPU drivers using your tool. But I've reinstalled Widows (10) recently... didn't it do the job? I also have GeForce experience installed...

I've reinstalled Widows (10) recently... didn't it do the job?
It may not, depending on when the last driver update affected the 3080. Drivers are most up-to-date in this order:
From OEM, eg Nvidia;
From assembly manufacturer, eg Gigabyte graphics card;
From MS Update.

GeForce experience
That has caused problems for some in the past, to the extent that I don't install it. So worth removing it to see if it helps.

I also only update drivers when I have a clear need to do so—eg experiencing problems with some hardware, or some software recommends it. Drivers are cutting-edge, and so more likely to have teething troubles than other software.

reinstalled Widows (10)
In case you missed the nuance in Kaamos' reply, there are a number of ways of reinstalling. A couple leave a lot or most of the old installation in place.

The only sure clean way starts with formatting your system drive to remove all old traces—so backup all irreplaceable data elsewhere before you start, and have separate install media to hand.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
A totally fresh install of Windows should have done it, but it wouldnt hurt to try on top.

If you bought it as a fresh build from a company, I would talk to them about it and maybe show them videos across several games. They should replace the part under warranty.
No, I didn't, I bought myself a "custom" computer in a store that assembled it for me, because I suck at hardware. ^^;
As for the DDU from Safe Mode, isn't it a bit... risky? Aren't there other ways?

I tested the graphic performance of my PC with 3DMark, it didn't say anything helpful...

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
@Brian Boru:

Yes, drivers can be, um, tricky. A few months ago, I've noticed that an update affects FC5: the shadows were fine, and then they suddenly weren't. What the hell.

About my reinstall, I chose the kind that wipes out the c: drive, is it what you're talking about? It seemed to me like the only logical way to do things.

Reactions: Brian Boru
No, I didn't, I bought myself a "custom" computer in a store that assembled it for me, because I suck at hardware. ^^;
As for the DDU from Safe Mode, isn't it a bit... risky? Aren't there other ways?

I tested the graphic performance of my PC with 3DMark, it didn't say anything helpful...
Not risky at all, just means that parts of the driver that are otherwise in use by Windows that are potentially corrupt are also replaced, which doesnt happen outside of safe mode.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts