PC is crashing constantly while I'm gaming and a weird screen come up

Oct 11, 2023
Visit site
Hello,

My PC is crashing constantly while I'm gaming. It happen suddenly, sometime 5 min after start playing, sometime 30, sometimes hours… There is no pattern on it.

Here what I have done to try to fix it:
  • Updated all my drivers
  • Reinstall the OS (Windows 10, and I also tried the Windows 11)
  • BIOS Updated

At the begining I though the issue would be my VGA, which is an EVGA GeForce RTX 3080, but I sent it to the warranty twice, and eventhoug they sent to me 2 different VGAs (Same model), the issue still happen.

Also, what intrigues myself is that I have an old VGA ASUS GTX 1080, and when I use this one, I don't have any issue playing.

What could be the issue?

Maybe an incompatibility between my GeForce RTX 3080 and other component on my PC?

I've head that if I'm using an AMD Processor, I should be using AMD VGA to avoid issues with incompatibilities. Is it feasible?

Please let me know if that are any software that I could use for testing or if you had an idea of what is happening.

Thank you very much,

PC Configuration:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard: MSI X570 Tomahawk Wifi
Memory: 32 GB DD4 Hypex
VGA: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080

6f2c1afe9d208a9c5da307d967d039c4.jpeg

Welcome to the forum :)

Maybe an incompatibility

For compatibility checking, put your parts list in at
they check most things except physical dimensions.

I'm well out of my depth here, but some basic Qs which will help the experts like COLGeek:

1080, and when I use this one, I don't have any issue playing.

That suggests some difference with the 3080 is the main suspect, eg power draw or cooling, so what temps does your 3080 reach before a crash?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Heat and/or power are the likely culprits here. The higher end 3000-series GPUs are very picky in terms of PSUs.

Your PSU should be okay. How old is it, by the way? Are you using a single power cable with 2 connectors on it to power your GPU? Or, are you using two separate cables? If not, two then use two.

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

Are you the original owner of the GPU?

Reactions: Brian Boru
Heat and/or power are the likely culprits here. The higher end 3000-series GPUs are very picky in terms of PSUs.

Your PSU should be okay. How old is it, by the way? Are you using a single power cable with 2 connectors on it to power your GPU? Or, are you using two separate cables? If not, two then use two.

He said they sent him two new GPU's, so he must be the original owner.

OP, If you have Windows Game Mode on, turn it off. If it's off, turn it on. Is the computer performing well right before the crash? Check ALL your drivers. What are your temps running like? What is your PC plugged into (an outlet, a power strip, a UPS)? Have you noticed anything odd about your system drive's performance? Are the games online or offline? Are you doing anything weird like plugging 20 things into USB ports or have anything not normally a PC peripheral plugged into it? Did you add anything seemingly irrelevant around the time the crashing started, like bluetooth speakers or headphones, for instance, or an external drive of some sort? Did you install software around the time this started that is running in the background while you play?

Unfortunately, when there's no component you can immediately point to, the possibilities are nearly endless. You know your PC better than anyone. Look at everything. I used to get bluescreens caused by a peripheral I had plugged in that I wasn't even using. Turns out it needed its drivers updated.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023
Visit site

I'm well out of my depth here, but some basic Qs which will help the experts like COLGeek:

That suggests some difference with the 3080 is the main suspect, eg power draw or cooling, so what temps does your 3080 reach before a crash?
Thanks for the tips! So the temperature does not go much above 75º.

Thank for you answer. So, the VGA temperate does not goes above 75º, which I think is ok.

Oct 11, 2023
Visit site

Thank you for your answer.
I'm using single cables. Not sure about how old my PSU is, but certainly more than 5 years. No overclock. I'm the original owner of the GPU.

Oct 11, 2023
Visit site
He said they sent him two new GPU's, so he must be the original owner.

OP, If you have Windows Game Mode on, turn it off. If it's off, turn it on. Is the computer performing well right before the crash? Check ALL your drivers. What are your temps running like? What is your PC plugged into (an outlet, a power strip, a UPS)? Have you noticed anything odd about your system drive's performance? Are the games online or offline? Are you doing anything weird like plugging 20 things into USB ports or have anything not normally a PC peripheral plugged into it? Did you add anything seemingly irrelevant around the time the crashing started, like bluetooth speakers or headphones, for instance, or an external drive of some sort? Did you install software around the time this started that is running in the background while you play?

Unfortunately, when there's no component you can immediately point to, the possibilities are nearly endless. You know your PC better than anyone. Look at everything. I used to get bluescreens caused by a peripheral I had plugged in that I wasn't even using. Turns out it needed its drivers updated.
Nothing weird, it's all good. PC is plugged direct into the outlet.
No change on the PC recently, an it happens with online and non-online games.

Is it a Gold rated TX 850m or an older Bronze rated model?

I think the issue might have something to do with this either way:

2nPxcob.png

If nothing else anyone here suggests helps a new PSU is probably the answer. Higher end 3000 series cards were notorious for causing issues with PSU's that should technically have been able to handle them.

Yes, they were reason I was wary of having an underpowered PSU on my current GPU as they had huge power spikes. Perhaps they need a 1kw to avoid problems

They said its an TX850, no M, so it could be Bronze: - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/psu...t-high-performance-power-supply-cp-9020043-na

but if they forgot an M, here is the Bronze version - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/psu...erformance-modular-power-supply-cp-9020041-na

and here be the gold version - https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/p/psu...t-80-plus-gold-certified-psu-uk-cp-9020130-uk

the only difference between M & non M is the M is modular.

They been making tx850watt PSU for 13 years now, no wonder its confusing. It was white label in 2009.

TX cards are higher lvl that RMx - http://www.jongerow.com/Corsair_PSU_hierarchy/index.html (this must be old as it shows TXm as only being gold.

(wonders what 9020042 was - talking about the top 2 links, URL just 2 apart... oh, its a TX750)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts