Gaming PC question for my son!

Trying to upgrade my son's gaming pc. I have already purchased one but can still upgrade the graphics card and memory, but I have ZERO clue about computers. He plays Fortnite and wants to play the new Call of Duty (but currently can't on his pc now.) He is very good and I don't want a slow computer for him.

Purchased:

Alienware Aurora R11

10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F
8 core, 2.9 GHz to 4.8 GHz w/turbo boost max 3.0

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GDDR6

256 GB M.2 PCle NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA 6 GB/s

16 GB Dual Channel Hyper X (FM) Fury DDR4 XMP @ 2933 MHz

****I can upgrade the graphics card to:

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB for +$150

The memory:
32 GB @ 3200MHz for +$200

Are these upgrades worth it?

I have no clue!

Thank you for any and all help!!!

Nov 29, 2020
Visit site
Hey OP, To be honest with you and i don't want to say your son is lying or anything. But he really doesn't need an RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB at all. He does not need one at all. It's nice that your excited to get him one and all, but it is not worth it. Nor does he need 32GB RAM. That's overkill meaning it's over the standards and i mean crazily over the standards. 16GB RAM is extremely powerful and really good, also future proof. I honestly don't know what he needs 32GB ram for as COD doesn't even require that especially the amazing specs he has lol.

Take care!

Reactions: ItsUrDad
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! He is 12 and doesnt know he is getting a new pc for xmas. Its more the research Ive done...I just dont want to have to buy him an entire new pc to upgrade to in the next few years...instead of spending the extra $300 or so, now.

Last year for xmas he got:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz,
8GB DDR4
AMD Radeon RX 580 8 GB
240 GB SSD & 2 TB HDD

And I thought he needed to upgrade already (hence the reason I bought the new Alienware PC.) He can barely play Call of Duty at all...it barely loads. He doesnt know much about computers, probably a little more than me, maybe! Haha. But I want him to be able to play and I'm not tech savvy enough to build my own.

Thank you for the info! Good to know the Alienware PC is good enough as it is

Last year for xmas he got:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz,
8GB DDR4
AMD Radeon RX 580 8 GB
240 GB SSD & 2 TB HDD

Honestly he should be able to play Call of Duty on this, at 1080p at least and Fortnite no problem. It could use more of the DDR4, (16 is the sweet spot for gaming on pc). He should put the game on the SSD if he wants it to load faster. If its on the HDD it will load slower. I'm not trying to convince you either way, just stating that both the games you say your son plays, should work on the computer you have listed here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaamos_Llama