Gaming On Headset through DAC vs PC Sound Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2022
Visit site
Ive been gaming for years (40 to be exact) but I have mainly gamed on speakers. I am really trying to get used to gaming on headphones because it is a much more immersive experience. Over the past few years, I have really gotten into external DACS for listening to music. They make everything sound so much better IMO. I have headphones (audio technica m50x) that I really like as well.

Here is my setup - PC USB - Schiit Modi - Schiit Magni - Headphones

Does the sound quality coming out of the DAC get diminished in anyway when gaming ? ..does it get transferred to PCM format ...or does that even matter ?

The reason I ask is because I got a Razer Blackshark "Gaming" Headset to see if there was something I was missing with all the hype. When I plugged it into my DAC, all I got was static garbage noise ..almost like it didn't like the audio format coming out of DAC. I then plugged it into my PC, and it was fine ...Does the DAC change audio to another format coming out ?

PS.. not looking for equipment purchasing advice. I like my choice in DACs / Headphones..so please dont recommend hardware. Thank you

Reactions: Brian Boru
Sep 30, 2020
Visit site
NO, it does not. I have a great DAC/amp it is the Soundblaster G5 with Beyerdynamic DT 880s and even my dad like's my sound setup and he has a 200,000$ HiFi setup. It is a great setup I would recommend.

Ive been gaming for years (40 to be exact) but I have mainly gamed on speakers. I am really trying to get used to gaming on headphones because it is a much more immersive experience. Over the past few years, I have really gotten into external DACS for listening to music. They make everything sound so much better IMO. I have headphones (audio technica m50x) that I really like as well.

Here is my setup - PC USB - Schiit Modi - Schiit Magni - Headphones

Does the sound quality coming out of the DAC get diminished in anyway when gaming ? ..does it get transferred to PCM format ...or does that even matter ?

The reason I ask is because I got a Razer Blackshark "Gaming" Headset to see if there was something I was missing with all the hype. When I plugged it into my DAC, all I got was static garbage noise ..almost like it didn't like the audio format coming out of DAC. I then plugged it into my PC, and it was fine ...Does the DAC change audio to another format coming out ?

PS.. not looking for equipment purchasing advice. I like my choice in DACs / Headphones..so please dont recommend hardware. Thank you

No, but you weren't playing on PC Game Pass, were you? The Xbox app for PC is very particular as far as where it can get the sound.

The Razer headset shouldn't have any problems at all with a DAC. No headset should. If you weren't on PC Game Pass, my best guess is that your sound settings got messed up when you plugged the headset in. Every time you plug in a headset or earbuds, your PC tries to adjust your settings, so if it fails to do it correctly, you may have to open it up and do it manually.

If that doesn't fix it, do you have any other headphones/buds you can plug into the DAC and see if it does anything different?

Oh, does your DAC plug into a USB port or into your headset port? And you had your speakers plugged into this DAC with no problems before?

Reactions: Brian Boru

STEL DR

BANNED
Aug 17, 2022
Visit site
If you want something on a budget then go for CX pro-C31993 Type-C to 3.5mm DAC dongle DAC Dongle or AVANI alc5686 HD Type-C to 3.5mm DAC dongle. They Improve sound quality better than internal DAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS