Gaming laptop advice.

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
I'm not really up on gaming laptop specs or systems - I tend to just buy something shiny that catches my eye in the shop when in need of a laptop.

I currently have an Alienware 17 R4 and was looking to buy a new laptop - I was considering buying an:

ACER Predator Triton 300 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 2070, 1 TB SSD

Would this be an upgrade, downgrade, sidemove? I'm leaning towards wanting a small screen right now but dont want to shell out £1400 for something worse than I'm using now.

Advice appreciated!

my R4 has:

System Manufacturer: Alienware

System Model: Alienware 17 R4

BIOS: 1.2.4 (type: UEFI)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 16256MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 1060

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 14180 MB

Dedicated Memory: 6052 MB

Shared Memory: 8128 MB

Not sure if that helps give a better picture to make a judgement?

Well, out of curiosity would a desktop be possible? There is always more bang for your buck in a desktop. I had the Triton 500 version and while it was a great laptop and really powerful, my was faulty. I kept having an issue with it switching between the on board video and the RTX 2060. I sent it back twice because it kept dropping the RTX card and saying it wasn't installed. I'm sure it was a one time issue. Other than that it was awesome. I ended up with ROG Strix hero 3 and just maxed it out on ram and NVME.

TRENDING THREADS