Question Game Splicing.

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Wow, I love this question...

It's a lot to think about, for sure. For me, I'd likely want to include Alternate Reality: The Dungeon (super old game I played on C64 back in the 80s) and a more modern RPG, like Elden Ring.

For me, the things I would want from the original game specifically would be the lore of the world, but fleshed out heavily, as is done in the modern RPG games. I liked being able to create custom weapons (and custom names).

Mainly, I suspect nostalgia for the game has stripped me of viewing it rationally, so I really just want a chance to try out something genuinely old with all the trappings of new games.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
Given the opportunity to splice two specific games together, taking the best of both games (as well as all their flaws too). Which two games would you splice together to make something you'd play and why?
I'm obsessed by SofW, because Talion is a god who can't die. The things that character can do like leaping off a building, bounce mid air, and using bow and Shadow strike, fly at the target, plus so much more.

Plus playing the Nemesis system is like playing a slightly warped Chess AI , that someone fed Tolkien's works into. Keeeping fantasy alive.

But I'd like to see Talion in WD's Legion, present day London. Talion doing stealth parkour over the roofs not even needing a gun.

But the enemy, actually the authorities, are too predictable and a Nemesis style enemy continually spawning different types would complement the random NPC generator.

I gave you 14 more replies to your question in one post, what more could you want?
Attaboy Piffy, keep 'im on 'is toes! :D

I said combo of Civ & C&C in other thread, so lets add Far Cry into the mix this time.

Whether it's 1v1 or 1v10, let each player have their own little island—immune from invasion etc—where they do all their city and base building, research, economy etc.

The battle is for the large central continent, and only performance there counts towards victory. Your FPS guy or squad lands there as soon as you research sailing and build a few ships capable of getting past the pirates—who hassle every player, like bandits and predatory wildlife do on land.

FPS scouts and identifies resources and future settlement sites, while battling other FPS scouts & wildlife—gets killed, gotta ship another over from home.

Research shipping and you can transport all the goods you've been stockpiling at home to found a new settlement/base/city on Central. Which is when the RTS part can start—FPS can't capture opposing bases, need catapults or tanks for that.

Fewer systems and depth than Civ—just tech, economy and military.
Procedural maps of course, so each game is new.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Frindis
Prince of Persia, 1989 & Alien Isolation. You'll get the janky movement from Prince of Persia, its platform layout and traps, but with the most terrifying soundtracks from Alien Isolation and the alien itself chasing you. If you stop moving at any time you die, if you miss a jump you die and if you try to fight the Alien which you can't because you don't have any weapons you'll also die. "You'll die a lot" will be its title.

Following on @Frindis' example of the worst splice, I nominate MGS5 TPP and Far Cry 5 on hard.

MGS will supply a horrible intro sequence where you never know when your character will react to commands cos at least half the time there's a cut scene running. But if you don't mind being jerked around by an auteur, you'll get thru it and attend The Burning Man festival as a reward treat.

Now for FC5 on Hard. The joy of this baby is that there's another painful intro sequence—nowhere near as disrespectful of you as MGS, but still pretty bad. Once thru, you find your way to a mate at a cabin, from where you both must escape in a truck thru a gauntlet of baddies. A lot of players who beat the rest of the game on Hard easily enough can't get thru this gauntlet.

Far Cry From Starting, The Real Pain will be the title.

I think this idea of splicing two or more games together has potential. I think Dev teams need some new ideas.

Ubisoft do it to some degree. In Legion they brought back characters from older WD's games, but also a character from Assassins Creed, Darcy.
I wasn't really interested in using those characters, but it seemed to revive some interest in the game for some players. I wondered if that was a case of Devs pandering to a nostalgic audience.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
I think this idea of splicing two or more games together has potential. I think Dev teams need some new ideas.

Ubisoft do it to some degree. In Legion they brought back characters from older WD's games, but also a character from Assassins Creed, Darcy.
I wasn't really interested in using those characters, but it seemed to revive some interest in the game for some players. I wondered if that was a case of Devs pandering to a nostalgic audience.

It's not quite splicing but they had the best potential with Assassin's Creed and Watch Dog series. They could have used the modern day stuff with Watch Dogs relating to that story line and world while having its own thing in Assassin's Creed but ultimately the stories merging to one whole series.

I did think a shooter/RPG combination would be fun, but that's just The Division. I enjoyed it for what it was but not much else came from the game.

Reactions: Brian Boru
It's not quite splicing but they had the best potential with Assassin's Creed and Watch Dog series. They could have used the modern day stuff with Watch Dogs relating to that story line and world while having its own thing in Assassin's Creed but ultimately the stories merging to one whole series.
Ok, this gives me an idea for an epic crossover. We need a new Stanley Parable that takes place at Abstergo Industries.

Dragon Age Origins and Skyrim.

DAO (still the best of the Dragon Age games in my opinion) for the strength of the story of a devastating Darkspawn invasion that gradually devours most of Thedas. The strong personalities of all the companions and NPCs (with excellent voice acting) and how they react to you, the world, events, and quests. Detailed conversations and choices that can affect, not only the outcome of the game, but the attitude of those NPCs, factions, and companions. And the ancient order of the Grey Wardens, and how a remnant of the order (of which your character belongs), tries to unite what's left of Thedas and defeat the Arch Demon and the Darkspawn Hordes.

Skyrim because it's a massive, living, breathing world; where life goes one whether your character is around or not. The changing light at various times of day & night, the changing weather patterns, and the variety of environments and cities. NPCs have lives, they don't just stand around in the same spot hour after hour. They work certain hours, go to taverns or have dinner, and sleep. As old as Skyrim is, it's still the best example of a real world that I've ever seen in a game.

I think Bioware sort-of tried something like that when they made Dragon Age Inquisition and went to an open world type gameplay. While I feel that DAI was an excellent RPG, the open world areas were nothing like Skyrim and never attained that "living, breathing" world feel that Skyrim has.

Zloth

Community Contributor
BATTLETECH + Galactic Civilizations. It's WAY past time that we had a 4X game set in the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe. There's going to have to be a lot of ground combat, so I picked the 4X with detailed colony mechanics.
There was an Assassin's Creed DLC for Watch Dogs: Legion! Once it gets started, you've got to find the locations for the quest by...
View: https://youtu.be/LmhKhVYUExA

Spore and No Man's Sky. One of the criticisms of No Man's Sky I've seen the most is that the procedural generation is pretty bland, so why not give players the tools to create new content and use that in the game? And while I have never played No Man's Sky, I'm pretty sure the space gameplay is much better than what Spore had.

Maybe splice in some X4: Foundations for more depth in the space gameplay too.

TRENDING THREADS