Question Frame drops while loading / streaming assets

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

I've got a question about gaming / hardware.
I've been playing on PC for months now, and I've noticed as soon as you play at high framerate (let's say 70+) to games like open worlds games, RPGs, etc., framerate drops occur almost systematically when games load / stream assets or when something happens for the first time in the game world.

I mean, I manage to setup my games to achieve a steady framerate I like (let's say around 70 / 80fps generally), yet games stutter while changing zones, while showing a specific effect for the first time, while something happen gameplay-wise (a radio message broadcast for example, a new objective is given to you, etc.). I deliberately stay vague because it happens with so many games, at least on my rig.

I've got all my games installed on a NVMe drive, so it shouldn't take forever to load some assets from there. I'm not particularly CPU bound, sometime GPU bound, and frequently neither of the two. I prefer a little bit lower settings than tanking my GPU or CPU.

I suspect when you play open-world games, a lot of loading and game logic is done in the background but as soon as you start playing these kinds of games at high framerate, assets just can't be loaded quick enough or game logic computed quick enough in the frame-time so you will notice stutters or frame drops. I'm currently playing Death Stranding which performs great, but yet it stutters frequently and these stutters correspond every time to something happening in the game world.

Is it an expected behavior? How do you manage that? And can we do something about it?

Thanks all in advance.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
Yes, frame drops from 70 80 to something like 50 or 40 with a huge spike in the frame times indeed. The game does not freeze like 2 or 3 secs but more like half a sec, at least enough to be noticeable and annoying.

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
H

Hi buddy, that's quite normal as of now. Try clearing ram in the background.

Regards,
Kevin J. Hodge
Hi Kevin,

I've got 16GB of RAM but it's not even completely used according to Afterburner. I also try to have only needed apps running (no background apps, etc.). Can stutters come from here even if RAM is far from completely full?

TRENDING THREADS