Question Performance issues (fps drops)

May 30, 2020
Visit site
Hello, I need some help figuring out why I am having performance issues, specifically in regards to my FPS dropping semi-frequently while in-game. The two games that's been giving me the most issues are Battlefield V and Destiny 2, while I know that BFV is a very graphically intensive game even on the lowest settings I can only get about 40-60fps. Destiny 2 performance is quite odd as a few months ago It ran pretty well with no substantial performance issues (unfortunately, I do not have any benchmarks from that time) fast forward to now, whenever I tune my graphic setting in or in GeForce experience it seems to have no effect on the FPS at all.

FYI: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop with a GTX 1060 with a Max-Q design.

Intel Quad-Core i7-7700HQ, 128GB SSD + 1 TB HDD, 16GB DDR4 Memory, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB Graphics, Windows 10

Both games are on the lowest graphic settings

I have tried Undervolting my laptop by offsetting the voltage to about -0.140V which has yielded an average temp decrease of about 8 degrees. (from 80 to low 70s) so I do not think that it is thermal throttling.

here is a stress I did with FurMark and Prime 95 (before undervolting) but unfortunately I do not know how to share the CVC file on this forum site.

My goal is to see if I can possibly get slightly better performance I would like to see consistent FPS with only minor drops occasionally. I am pretty confident that I should be able to achieve this with the laptop as I have seen numerous benchmarks of this exact laptop and it does a whole lot better than what I am getting.

GPU load during gaming is about 32%low and 50% high

During the game, my CPU temps are around 70 to 75 degrees

Ram usage in-game is 11456mb so around 11.5 gb

The game is actually in my harddrive and not my ssd and my hard drive has 631gb left

I've updated the BIOS and Drivers and Windows

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
Try moving the game to your SSD firstly - might make a slight difference - although not curing the problem you are facing.

Secondly, Have you updated your drivers recently for your card?

Lastly, when tinkering with your voltage etc, have you accidentally turned off any XMP settings that may have been applied to the RAM? Ram plays a significant part in the FPS process and might be a cause.

Check the Mhz in Performance Manager (Task Manager) and does this match what your initial purchased spec says - more often than not RAM is overclocked in more recent systems (3 years) so may have lost its clocking.

SSD move should help things a touch - also might be a sign of a failing drive
Lots of ideas but couldn't put my finger on it entirely from your description.

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
You might be hitting a heat threshold on your graphics card. It sounds like Thermal throttling. You can install MSI Afterburner to see what those temps are running at.

Also with Dell laptops, if you didn't use certified Laptop dell drivers, you can be in a world of issues.

TRENDING THREADS