First time building a PC - can you build it over time?

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
Hi - I want to build my first PC however I was hoping to do it over say the next year due to cost. I know it’s obvious that you have to ensure the parts are compatible and work together. However the more I read about building a PC, the more I think there’s a chance certain parts may unexpectedly not work together and there is an element of trial and error.

The issue with building it over a year is if a part doesn’t work I’ll likely not be able to return it. Whereas if I buy everything at once I can.

My question is, is there perhaps a set of parts you can buy together and then get the rest over time, e.g, casing, motherboard, cpu, graphics card, ram.

I suppose even if it fits, you could still encounter problems when you turn it on once complete.

I don’t particularly want to decide all the parts now and buy them over time as I could find a better part on offer or a new release etc. Or maybe buy the casing motherboard cpu and graphics card? Surely you can ensure they’ll work together. Could you put those 3 parts together and keep adding to the build? On some tutorials, it looks like you are better off building it when you have everything.

What do you think?

Reactions: Brian Boru
Hi - I want to build my first PC however I was hoping to do it over say the next year due to cost. I know it’s obvious that you have to ensure the parts are compatible and work together. However the more I read about building a PC, the more I think there’s a chance certain parts may unexpectedly not work together and there is an element of trial and error.

The issue with building it over a year is if a part doesn’t work I’ll likely not be able to return it. Whereas if I buy everything at once I can.

My question is, is there perhaps a set of parts you can buy together and then get the rest over time, e.g, casing, motherboard, cpu, graphics card, ram.

I suppose even if it fits, you could still encounter problems when you turn it on once complete.

I don’t particularly want to decide all the parts now and buy them over time as I could find a better part on offer or a new release etc. Or maybe buy the casing motherboard cpu and graphics card? Surely you can ensure they’ll work together. Could you put those 3 parts together and keep adding to the build? On some tutorials, it looks like you are better off building it when you have everything.

What do you think?
I always advise anyone to save money until you have enough and then buy all parts at the same time.

You already listed one reason, if a part is not functional then you wont know until its potentially too late. The other is that new parts are released and prices go down over time. So if you bought a graphics card today for 300 then in a year that same money could potentially buy you 25% more performance, same with a CPU, same with everything except for the case.

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
I always advise anyone to save money until you have enough and then buy all parts at the same time.

You already listed one reason, if a part is not functional then you wont know until its potentially too late. The other is that new parts are released and prices go down over time. So if you bought a graphics card today for 300 then in a year that same money could potentially buy you 25% more performance, same with a CPU, same with everything except for the case.
For compatibility checking, put your parts list in at
they check most things except physical dimensions.

I agree with this, for the reasons listed—but mainly that you'll get better performance for the same money.

Cheers both - I’ll save…it’ll take time but worth it

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts