Question First PC Build, Suggestions Welcomed! (List included)

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
Hey everyone. This would be my first time building a PC and I want to ask for recommendations and if anyone can help see if this is a good build. I primarily wish to use my PC for video editing, photo editing and design, and some light gaming (as of now).

This is what would be included in my list:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max Wifi

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Gaming 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Memory: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD

PSU: 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Semi Modular (should I go modular?)

GPU
: ASRock Phantom Gaming D Radeon RX 570 or ASUS GeForce GTX 1650 Dual Overclocked Dual-Fan 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 Graphics Card

Case: Cooler Master NR600 MasterBox

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler 4 cdc Heatpipes 120mm PWM Fan

Also can see the full list here:

MODIFIED LIST (as of 8/31):

Other additional comments: Would like a quiet PC. Would fans be needed in my case? I plan to use many Adobe softwares and may use lots of video editing. And what would be a good monitor with a good resolution?

Please let me know if this would be a good build. Would the processor work well with my needs? I am fairly new to the whole world of PC building and am researching many things as I go, so would love any help. The budget is around $800-900 for this PC. Though I don't mind spending a bit more as I am more into the quality and efficiency of the build towards my needs so any suggestions will help.

Last edited:
cool*, thanks :) it's just easier to read is all. Partpicker also lets you post a ready-formatted version to forums using the BB button at the top of your spec summary. Here's yours:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: PowerSpec 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $838.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-29 16:54 EDT-0400

The build generally looks good, though the PSU doesn't seem ideal. It's $100 for an off-brand PSU. But apparently it's a Microcentre own-brand and basically respectable, and with the crazy PSU shortage right now that could be the best option. I wouldn't worry about a fully modular PSU at all.

The SSD - the 860 Evo is very expensive for what it is i.e. a Sata SSD. You can get a much faster NVMe SSD for the same price e.g. the SX8200 Pro, which is neck and neck with the 970 Evo:

The motherboard - that's expensive for a B450 board. You might as well get a B550 board and have PCIe 4.0 available. If you oicked it for the wifi you could just get a PCIe or USB wifi adapter

Last edited:
Reactions: AiMartika
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
You should spend just a little bit more and get like a MSI GTX 1660 Super video card (has a little bit of RGB too), it has 6gb of GDDR6 Memory and will give you a lot more graphical power for not much more $$. The benchmark app site that shows one card VS another card shows it is 52% better EFps.

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
You should spend just a little bit more and get like a MSI GTX 1660 Super video card (has a little bit of RGB too), it has 6gb of GDDR6 Memory and will give you a lot more graphical power for not much more $$. The benchmark app site that shows one card VS another card shows it is 52% better EFps.

What about a MSI Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR Video Card? If you would compare the two which would be better for my needs?

I've also modified my list to this:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
Just to clarify, what sort of video editing and light gaming will you be doing? Like will you just be cutting clips and merging them, with playing some League of Legends? Or we talking 3D renderings and something more like CoD online sessions?

Reactions: Oussebon
Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
cool*, thanks it's just easier to read is all. Partpicker also lets you post a ready-formatted version to forums using the BB button at the top of your spec summary. Here's yours:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: PowerSpec 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $838.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-29 16:54 EDT-0400

The build generally looks good, though the PSU doesn't seem ideal. It's $100 for an off-brand PSU. But apparently it's a Microcentre own-brand and basically respectable, and with the crazy PSU shortage right now that could be the best option. I wouldn't worry about a fully modular PSU at all.

The SSD - the 860 Evo is very expensive for what it is i.e. a Sata SSD. You can get a much faster NVMe SSD for the same price e.g. the SX8200 Pro, which is neck and neck with the 970 Evo:

The motherboard - that's expensive for a B450 board. You might as well get a B550 board and have PCIe 4.0 available. If you oicked it for the wifi you could just get a PCIe or USB wifi adapter

Okay, awesome! Yeah the SX8200 Pro would be the better choice. Also I think I'll just go with a GTX 1660 graphics card as it would be faster than the other options and it would be better for me in the long run.

For the PSU, would a Corsair TXM 650w 80 Gold suffice? Or a 550w? There is definitely a PSU shortage and I'm looking for a good one at the moment. I've also seen there is a RMx series but don't really know if there is much of a difference between the TXM series.

I've also updated my list as of now:

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
Just to clarify, what sort of video editing and light gaming will you be doing? Like will you just be cutting clips and merging them, with playing some League of Legends? Or we talking 3D renderings and something more like CoD online sessions?

Most editing videos in 4k and playing some RPG games not too heavy though as I'm primarily using my PC for using software for graphic design and making and editing videos.

Get the MSI GTX 1660 Super or MSI GTX 1660 ti, they are both with GDDR6 memory and not like GDDR5 like the regular GTX 1660.

Edit: wrote the below section before checking the parts list update and see you're already going for an Asus 1550 Super TUF at $230 which looks like a good call.

Just to clarify, iit's not just the MSI GTX 1660 Supers that have GDDR6. They all do, that's the point of them.

The 1660 ti is almost never worth getting these days from a gaming POV as the 1660 Super is all be the same in performance and often far cheaper. If you find a 1660 ti for the same price as the cheapest 1660 Super, why not, but it's not worth any significant price difference.

It's worth noting that, according to partpicker, the cheapest 1660s are about $215 while the cheapest 1660 Super is $225, with a lot of options at $230. The 1660 ti is ~265. So the 1660 Super is by far the better bang for buck of the 3.

Which brand/model of 1660 / Super is up to you but tbh the cheapest ones are going to be about as good as any other.

Just a word on MSI. They've been under criticism for a few years for seeking to suppress independent media's reviews of their products where critical. It's perfectly valid to buy MSI if you want, but I'm just saying there are other brands out there too like Zotac, EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus, etc :)

For the PSU, would a Corsair TXM 650w 80 Gold suffice? Or a 550w? There is definitely a PSU shortage and I'm looking for a good one at the moment. I've also seen there is a RMx series but don't really know if there is much of a difference between the TXM series.

550W TXm would be more than sufficient for your system. And TXm is a very good quality unit. 650W could make sense if you might one day use some very powerful upgrades like a beefy, high end GPU and a high end CPU.

The RMx series of PSUs has 1 major standout feature over TXm, which is that it is semi-passive. i.e. it cools itself without needing to turn on its fan under certain load conditions. So it will be silent on idle, and quite possibly not need to turn the fan on even under load. It also has a 10 year warranty.

TXm is great but if you can get RMx for a similar price and you want the semi passive feature, why not.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Hmmm... I lookup specs for the GTX 1660 from any brand and they all show GDDR5 memory, the Super and ti have GDDR6. You are correct about the Super and ti, there is not much of a difference in performance overall, but the ti does have a little bit more, which is why I mentioned for the OP to go with the Super in one of my first posts. I like MSI's because it has some RGB to it.

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
Edit: wrote the below section before checking the parts list update and see you're already going for an Asus 1550 Super TUF at $230 which looks like a good call.

Just to clarify, iit's not just the MSI GTX 1660 Supers that have GDDR6. They all do, that's the point of them.

The 1660 ti is almost never worth getting these days from a gaming POV as the 1660 Super is all be the same in performance and often far cheaper. If you find a 1660 ti for the same price as the cheapest 1660 Super, why not, but it's not worth any significant price difference.

It's worth noting that, according to partpicker, the cheapest 1660s are about $215 while the cheapest 1660 Super is $225, with a lot of options at $230. The 1660 ti is ~265. So the 1660 Super is by far the better bang for buck of the 3.

Which brand/model of 1660 / Super is up to you but tbh the cheapest ones are going to be about as good as any other.

Just a word on MSI. They've been under criticism for a few years for seeking to suppress independent media's reviews of their products where critical. It's perfectly valid to buy MSI if you want, but I'm just saying there are other brands out there too like Zotac, EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus, etc

550W TXm would be more than sufficient for your system. And TXm is a very good quality unit. 650W could make sense if you might one day use some very powerful upgrades like a beefy, high end GPU and a high end CPU.

The RMx series of PSUs has 1 major standout feature over TXm, which is that it is semi-passive. i.e. it cools itself without needing to turn on its fan under certain load conditions. So it will be silent on idle, and quite possibly not need to turn the fan on even under load. It also has a 10 year warranty.

TXm is great but if you can get RMx for a similar price and you want the semi passive feature, why not.
Okay, thanks for all of the suggestions! I may go with the gtx 1660 super based on what was discussed.
Also, after some consideration (and as shown in my list) I'm going for the MSI B550M Pro-VDH Wifi Micro but after looking around I'm kind of seeing the ASUS Prime B550-M A Wifi and was wondering what the differences are. I'm looking for one with wifi. Would be cool to have RGB too or RGB headers and would want to know if I am able to connect RGB fans to them and would work with my RGB Corsair RAM.

Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
I would not run with the 570, I had one and they have a lot of problems with their drivers. It was a very frustrating ordeal. Black screens,games freezing, blues screens, you name it.

The RGB RAM will work with software control and doesn't need the mobo to have anything special.

The differences in B550 motherboards will be things like features, things like internal or external connectors, the sound chip used, and the VRMs. VRM (voltage regulation module) choice is relevant for high end CPUs, the 12 and 16 core Ryzen parts, but for an R5 3600 it's not necessarily that important.

As for Wifi, note that you can add a PCIe add in card for wifi.

If you were going to spend $150 on an Asus B550 micro-ATX mobo with wifi you might as well just go with an X570 TUF ATX board for $190. Which is an excellent board especially if you might look at slotting in a 12 or 16 core Zen 3 part for video editing.

There are also X570 ATX boards you can get for $150 like the Asus X570-P and add a wifi card (although arguably if doing this you might as well just get the X570 TUF).

As for RGB, what RGB are you going for? As some like Corsair (not counting the RAM) have their own separate ecosystem going on.

If you plan on adding RGB fans, you should get a case that comes with them included, or else it will probably end up a lot more expensive.

TRENDING THREADS