Question First Gaming PC - Quality under $700?

May 4, 2021
Visit site
My son, now 14, has been asking for a gaming PC for several years now...but everyone he has showed me that he's liked has been $1100+ (without monitor) - therefore, out of my price range! This past Christmas he asked for a PS5 and unfortunately I haven't had any luck getting one (not sure I ever will). So feeling bad about him not getting his Christmas present yet, I'm considering the purchase of a Gaming PC for him.

I still don't have $1100+ to spend but am wondering if there are any good Gaming PCs for less than $700!

I would really prefer to purchase something already together...really not comfortable modifying computers.

So are there any decent to very good Gaming PC's available that offer excellent quality for the price...and that price being under $700?

If so, which one(s)?

Thank you very much!!!

TripleB

Normally you would be able to buy something for that budget that would be reasonable, and you would certainly be able to build something decent from parts. But at the moment the only thing I can see for that budget (actually 75$ more) is not good, as in wouldn't even be able to play some new games. Not even near as good as a PS5 or Xbox series X for gaming fidelity wise.

Its the same reason you can't find a PS5, shortage of chips and high demand for them at the same time. Try again in 6 months, or double the budget for something comparable with a modern console.

I hope I'm wrong and someone else here is in the same situation and found a solution they can share with you.

No problem, at all :)

Its between the last two, as the GT 700 series cards in the first two are both very old and low end even for the time 7 years ago they were released.

Keeping it simple I would go with D) as it has the faster graphics card and that's generally the most important part for gaming.

For the monitor, a 1080p (Full HD) resolution would be best for that level of GPU. The 144hz and fast response time is a nice bonus if you can find something like that in your budget.

May 4, 2021
Visit site
No problem, at all :)

Its between the last two, as the GT 700 series cards in the first two are both very old and low end even for the time 7 years ago they were released.

Keeping it simple I would go with D) as it has the faster graphics card and that's generally the most important part for gaming.

For the monitor, a 1080p (Full HD) resolution would be best for that level of GPU. The 144hz and fast response time is a nice bonus if you can find something like that in your budget.

I was editing my response, went to repost the information, and it flagged it as spam. Now I can't repost that information.

Thanks for your help!

TripleB

I think it'll be good if you save more money because with 700 dollars i dont think the upgrade will be that good. Wait till you can spare 1000-1200dollars so that he can really feel it. If hes into competitive games consider buying him at least 144hz because there is a HUGE difference between 60hz and 144hz.

It's not an upgrade, he currently does not have a system.

Which exact Intel I3 or I5 vs which Ryzen 3/5? It's not that simple.

The graphics card is also the most important thing for games.

SSD is preferable to HDD for load times, at least 240GB these days for Windows. If you are buying a system without one its a big minus.

I believe you can load games from an external hard drive as long as its USB 3.0 or better, but Ive never done it myself, so I cant speak to how well it works.

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
This might sound crazy, but you might get more bang for you buck with a laptop. Laptops seem to be on sale while all the pre-built desktop PCs seem to be fully priced as-ever. A couple days ago Best Buy had some fairly competent gaming laptops on flash sale.

Aim for something in the GTX 16xx series, and AMD equivalent (5600 I think?)
If you are willing to wait, the possibly approaching 3050Ti would be the target.
You're not necessarily going to find something "PS5" quality, but I think the PC experience will make up for it.

Chances are, your son will, at some point, want to lug that computer over to one of his friend's houses. Make it easy on yourselves XD

May 15, 2021
Visit site
My son, now 14, has been asking for a gaming PC for several years now...but everyone he has showed me that he's liked has been $1100+ (without monitor) - therefore, out of my price range! This past Christmas he asked for a PS5 and unfortunately I haven't had any luck getting one (not sure I ever will). So feeling bad about him not getting his Christmas present yet, I'm considering the purchase of a Gaming PC for him.

I still don't have $1100+ to spend but am wondering if there are any good Gaming PCs for less than $700!

I would really prefer to purchase something already together...really not comfortable modifying computers.

So are there any decent to very good Gaming PC's available that offer excellent quality for the price...and that price being under $700?

If so, which one(s)?

Thank you very much!!!

TripleB
actually for a gaming pc under $ 700 can only be made assembled, but that's still not enough to buy a monitor. so in my opinion it is better to save first for the next few months adding money to buy a gaming pc. Meanwhile have a good talk with your son about it

wonders if this post even means anything since op has made a new one about it a week later.

May 20, 2021
Visit site

If so, which one(s)?

Thank you very much!!!

TripleB
The Lenovo Legion Slim 7i can do that on a budget too.

So is an Intel (i3/i5) or an AMD Ryzen (3/5) better? And how big of hard drive is needed? If you use an external hard drive to store games will that slow down the game when playing it?

Thanks!!!

TripleB
Let's give you an idea of what your looking at price wise (in $USD) minus the graphics card.

Fractal Design Focus G Black ATX Mid Tower $55.99

https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-550-ga-220-ga-0550-x1-550w/p/1HU-00J7-004V3
EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GA, 80 Plus Gold 550W, Modular PSU $64.99

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119388
ASUS PRIME H510M-A/CSM LGA $99.99

Intel Core i5-10400F $150.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254134258990
Antec A40 PRO CPU Cooler $24.90

https://www.newegg.com/team-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820331354
Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16GB (2x8GB)DDR4 3200 CL16 $82.99

https://www.newegg.com/team-group-gx2-1tb/p/N82E16820331316
Team Group GX2 2.5" 1TB SATA III Internal SSD $84.99

Total: $565

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393336235947
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 OC Edition 4GB GDDR6 Video Card $288.55

Last edited:
I think you'd be disappointed with an RX550 as a GPU, but its hard for me to say whats a good price for anything at the moment.

It would be fine for Fortnite/League of Legends/Rocket League (Esports) but it will not play all the latest big name AAA games like Cyberpunk 2077.

I'm sorry this is so hard for you at the moment, unless you have a budget to the moon its difficult I know.

May 4, 2021
Visit site
I appreciate all of the help and advice so far. I may be wrong, but it seems like places are getting more and more gaming desktops (at least the ones in the $600-$800 range) in stock.

My son claims that he would be happy with a simple $600 gaming desktop but he's talking about playing games, commenting on them, recording it, and posting it to YT so I'm thinking he needs something a bit better than basic. He states that he mainly be playing Fortnite and Apex Legends but I'm sure once he gets into desktop gaming he will want to play many others.

Currently have my eye on two desktop choices around the $800 range:
a) Acer Nitro 50 with Intel I5 (10400F 10th gen), 512GB, 8GB RAM DDR4, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (4GB GDDR5) $799
b) HP with Intel I5 (10400F 10th gen), 512GB SSD, 8GB DDR-2666 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super (4GB GDDR6 dedicated) $739*

* For $100 more ($839 total) I can either more up to 1) 16GB DDR-2666 SDRAM OR 2) the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 (6GB GDDR6 dedicated)

What are your opinions of either one of these desktops?

Again, thank you so much for your patience and help in me getting my son a decent gaming desktop!

TripleB

Last edited:
I'd like to chime in and suggest that if your son plans to simultaneous game and stream off the system, you're going to need a little more oomph from the laptop and by that it would equate to more money dropped onto the laptop purchase.

To add, you're going to have to look at an i7 (if Intel) or a Ryzen 7 (if AMD) platform and a slightly beefy GPU. If your son doesn't want to stream and game at the same time or rather, that he'll capture gameplay edit them on his own accord and then upload to YT on a latter date, then you're going to be fine. As mentioned prior, if you plan to do multiple tasks at the same time, then the laptop needs to be spec'd higher.

Exacta, the issue with choosing parts is asking yourself or the user how far the parts will be taxed. If you could narrow down what your son's plans for the next year or so would be, the laptop you've chosen should be good for completing tasks one at a time.

TRENDING THREADS