First ever PC build questions

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys, brand new here and brand new to PC gaming. I’m building my first PC and had a couple questions because I’m a little lost and this is expensive lol.

1. The PC I am “building” is an Alienware R11, I currently am looking at an Intel i7 10700KF and coupling that with the Nvidia 2070 Super graphics card. Is that a decent combo?
2. Would a 1TB SSD be better over a combo of SATA and SSD?
Thanks for any help, I’m at about a $1,500 budget and want to get the most bang for my buck as I’m really new at this.

Zoid

Community Contributor
First of all, welcome to the forums and to PC gaming in general! :)
Thanks for any help, I’m at about a $1,500 budget and want to get the most bang for my buck as I’m really new at this.
A $1,500 is a healthy budget. Does this include a monitor and peripherals or is this only for the PC itself?

You may have heard this already, but if you truly want to get the best bang for your buck, the best option is usually to build the computer yourself (order the parts separately and assemble them). This can seem intimidating, but it actually doesn't require any technical skill, just patience.
1. The PC I am “building” is an Alienware R11, I currently am looking at an Intel i7 10700KF and coupling that with the Nvidia 2070 Super graphics card. Is that a decent combo?
2. Would a 1TB SSD be better over a combo of SATA and SSD?
Broadly speaking, yes, an i7-10700KF and an RTX 2070 Super is a decent combo. That will perform quite well in most games. However, let's get some more info about what you want to use this PC for. What games are you hoping to play and at what resolution and framerate? Will you be using it for anything other than gaming?

As for your storage question, yes, a 1TB SSD will be better than a combo of (I'm assuming) a SATA HDD and an SSD. I really recommend 100% solid state storage these days, unless you need several terabytes of cheap bulk storage.

Reactions: ZackSSmith and Alm
Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Hey thanks for the response! So here’s a rundown.

I will be using it for a few games, COD, Elder Scrolls online, Arma, etc.

Also, here’s the build.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core, 16MB Cache, 3.8GHz to 5.1GHz w/Turbo Boost Max 3.0)
Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling with and 1000W Power Supply
Intel 10th Core i7 non-vPro CPU Label
Custom Configuration
1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
16GB Dual Channel HyperX(FM) FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz
I wanted a setup that could be upgraded but would give me time too

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Also, I got an Alienware mechanical keyboard and mouse thrown in too which was cool. But no monitor or anything, currently I have a Samsung 32inch curved monitor so that will be my next big purchase

Zoid

Community Contributor
That will be a perfectly fine setup for your purposes if you're set on going Alienware, but if you're interested in shopping around some more (or building your own) I suspect there are better deals to be found, especially if you're willing to wait until November or thereabouts when we will have new hardware from AMD and better availability of the RTX 3000 series GPUs.

Reactions: ZackSSmith