Every STEAM game I have runs super fast then 5 min later INSANELY SLOW, anyone know why?

Mar 20, 2023
Visit site
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
16G ram
GTX 1660 ti GPU

i just upgraded from an i5 with an R9 370

*NOTE*

regular PC games i have downloaded run fine, but now only the STEAM gamnes run insanely slow.

my i5 never had issues with frame rates, but this i7 which is considerably faster with a better GPU, the graphics are much better, all my cloud gaming and PC ( xbox game pass ) games are extremely sharp and fast, BUT, when i play STEAM games now, they start incredibly fast and sharp, then after 5 min, frame rates drop to what seems like a 5-10 FPS.

does ANYONE know what could possibly be wrong?

***EDIT***

just found out its NOT just STEAM games, but ALL pc games are slow af now EXCEPT cloud gaming ones ( xbox game pass )

does ANYONE have any idea why this might be taking place?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :)

Your post suggest it's neither your PC nor the games, but sth unique to Steam. Disable any Steam extras like Overlay or chat or whatever. If that doesn't help, try running in offline mode.

Is this for a number of games? If it's only 1-2, it's a long shot but possible those games are being updated in the background.

Are the affected games mainly multiplayer or single player?
Can you list a few of the games with this problem?

That CPU is 12 years old. If you're trying to run modern games, expect problems.

Is the RAM DDR3 or DDR4? Afaics it only supports DDR3, which means your RAM is also ~9 years old—ie again, expect problems.

Reactions: Pifanjr and mainer
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
16G ram
GTX 1660 ti GPU

i just upgraded from an i5 with an R9 370

*NOTE*

regular PC games i have downloaded run fine, but now only the STEAM gamnes run insanely slow.

my i5 never had issues with frame rates, but this i7 which is considerably faster with a better GPU, the graphics are much better, all my cloud gaming and PC ( xbox game pass ) games are extremely sharp and fast, BUT, when i play STEAM games now, they start incredibly fast and sharp, then after 5 min, frame rates drop to what seems like a 5-10 FPS.

does ANYONE know what could possibly be wrong?
I doubt it's anything to do with Steam itself, as you'd hardly be the only one reporting what sounds like a memory leak, and it would be fixed pretty quickly. Valve updates their software several times per week.

It's probably your OS or things you have running in the background. Make sure you've downloaded all Windows updates. Shut down unnecessary processes before you launch a game. Turn Windows Game Mode on (or if it's already on, turn it off). And make sure you aren't running Chrome in the background. Chrome is a well-known memory hog. Could also try shutting down your antivirus while you play.

Next time you have a slowdown, check to see what your CPU and memory usage are, and if they are high, check your task manager to see what is causing it.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Mar 20, 2023
Visit site

Your post suggest it's neither your PC nor the games, but sth unique to Steam. Disable any Steam extras like Overlay or chat or whatever. If that doesn't help, try running in offline mode.

Is this for a number of games? If it's only 1-2, it's a long shot but possible those games are being updated in the background.

That CPU is 12 years old. If you're trying to run modern games, expect problems.

Is the RAM DDR3 or DDR4? Afaics it only supports DDR3, which means your RAM is also ~9 years old—ie again, expect problems.

hey thanks for the response!
honestly i dont believe it is my PC, because when i play normal PC games ( not on steam ) i have ZERO issues.
perfect almost....
it is ONLY when i play steam games..

Mar 20, 2023
Visit site
I doubt it's anything to do with Steam itself, as you'd hardly be the only one reporting what sounds like a memory leak, and it would be fixed pretty quickly. Valve updates their software several times per week.

It's probably your OS or things you have running in the background. Make sure you've downloaded all Windows updates. Shut down unnecessary processes before you launch a game. Turn Windows Game Mode on (or if it's already on, turn it off). And make sure you aren't running Chrome in the background. Chrome is a well-known memory hog. Could also try shutting down your antivirus while you play.

Next time you have a slowdown, check to see what your CPU and memory usage are, and if they are high, check your task manager to see what is causing it.
thanks for the response! i will check on these as sooon as i get back home later today!

Have you tried turning off the Steam overlay?

3_disable-steam-overlay.jpg.webp

Mar 20, 2023
Visit site

i actually did all those on steam.. still nothing.. and i have actually come to the conclusion that it is ALL my pc games, steam or not.. the ONLY games that run like butter are cloud related games ( xbox game pass )

even my PC games from game pass slow down after 5 min..

Mar 20, 2023
Visit site
Is your pc a custom or pre built one?
And not all your games were slow originally, just your steam based games?
Is your hd or pc making any noises?
pre built.. i have issues with other PC games as well not just steam i realized.. the strange thing is, all my cloud games i play on Xbox game pass.. run 100% perfectly.. amazing graphics and no noticeable frame rate drops at all.

Reactions: Brian Boru
With the prebuilt pc. You said you upgraded the chip and the card. So you mean from the prebuilt system you took out the old chip and card and stuck in those new ones while still having everything else in?

I know sometimes when changing stuff in a pc, sometimes parts aren't always compatible, maybe even not enough power from the power supply to handle the card can cause issues.

Since it's a prebuilt one what model and make is it. Might be able to see if something like that could be an issue depending on the mobo or whatever else is in it.

Also as pointed out, viruses and such can cause issues. Bleeping Computers is a good place to get help for that if you need to find out. My go to place when fixing other peoples pc and I need to scan stuff. Also use to go to majorgeeks.

Did this start happening only after the upgrade? I ask because LOT of PC gamers make the mistake of not completely removing old driver data from the previous GPU before installing the new one, data which contains the hardware ID of the previous one.

If you haven't done so yet, try using DDU in safe mode to thoroughly remove the driver to make sure no traces of the R9 370 remain, and don't forget to set device type to AMD, not Nvidia. Ideally you should do this BEFORE even plugging in the new GPU.

The power requirement is very close for the R9 370 and GTX 1660 ti, but just to make sure your PSU is not the culprit, what's the brand and model of PSU you're running? The PSU is the device with all the cables running out of it, and it should have a big label on the side of it with brand and model listed.

For future reference, ALWAYS list the PSU brand/model when asking about PC problems, especially with prebuilt systems, because a lot of prebuilts have cheap ones.

Lastly, is this happening only with online play, or offline too? I ask because the cloud based games you're referring to don't need NEARLY as much work from your ISP, as the cloud servers do a lot of the work. If this is the case, check for ISP problems, even a possible firmware update that might be needed for your modem.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023
Visit site
Did this start happening only after the upgrade? I ask because LOT of PC gamers make the mistake of not completely removing old driver data from the previous GPU before installing the new one, data which contains the hardware ID of the previous one.

If you haven't done so yet, try using DDU in safe mode to thoroughly remove the driver to make sure no traces of the R9 370 remain, and don't forget to set device type to AMD, not Nvidia. Ideally you should do this BEFORE even plugging in the new GPU.

The power requirement is very close for the R9 370 and GTX 1660 ti, but just to make sure your PSU is not the culprit, what's the brand and model of PSU you're running? The PSU is the device with all the cables running out of it, and it should have a big label on the side of it with brand and model listed.

For future reference, ALWAYS list the PSU brand/model when asking about PC problems, especially with prebuilt systems, because a lot of prebuilts have cheap ones.

Lastly, is this happening only with online play, or offline too? I ask because the cloud based games you're referring to don't need NEARLY as much work from your ISP, as the cloud servers do a lot of the work. If this is the case, check for ISP problems, even a possible firmware update that might be needed for your modem.

as strange as this sounds, i pretty much only play my PC games OFFLINE.. so im not sure if this could be the issue.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS