Question Ethernet connection issue?

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
So the last few days I've had issues with playing YT videos at high quality. They'd always load slowly and get set to the lowest quality possible, even trying to up it would cause the video to take longer to load. Then I noticed my Google has slowed down on specific websites but streaming stuff like Twitch works fine albeit the quality still switches like it usually does. Then I noticed not too long ago that my Discord had trouble uploading stuff in messages, so that's where I realized it might be a computer issue.

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
I've tried a bunch of stuff before and it did fix it once but after PSEG had to reset our power the issue came up again. Switching the cords was the solution the first time but now that doesn't work. I didn't download anything beforehand either, scanned for malware, and nothing came up.

Welcome to the forum :)

Do you also have WiFi you could try, or is it only ethernet?

my Google has slowed down on specific websites
Do you mean searching on certain sites, or some other Google service?

playing YT videos
How do you play them? In a browser—which browser?—or download and play in a media player?

Does your PC have a separate network card?
@COLGeek if network is on mobo, would it work to buy a cheap network card to override the mobo service?

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
Since you mention changes occuring on switching cables. My suggestion is to check and override your Ethernet adapters setting on speed.

By default the adapter automatically tries to negotiate how fast it can go over ethernet. Often choosing either 10mbs, 100mbs or 1gbps. This can end up faulty with either it trying to go way too fast leading to excessive data loss (which not every service reacts the same to) or just way too slow leading to a LOT less bandwith than you should have. Worst i've seen is auto negotiation selecting a measly 10Mbps which is unacceptable in this age.

Your Adapter's "Status" should tell you which speed it has selected.
You can try switching it yourself through:
Network Connections > Right-click adapter > Properties > Configure > Advanced > Speed & Duplex.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru

COLGeek

How do you play them? In a browser—which browser?—or download and play in a media player?

@COLGeek if network is on mobo, would it work to buy a cheap network card to override the mobo service?
Yes. Adding a stand alone ethernet adapter would be advisable (disable the on-board in BIOS, by the way) if the on-board is flaky. Easy and inexpensive way to deal withe such issues.

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site

Just ethernet no wifi adapter, it's the same on other browsers and still slow on other websites, I play them from browser specifically Google

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
Since you mention changes occuring on switching cables. My suggestion is to check and override your Ethernet adapters setting on speed.

By default the adapter automatically tries to negotiate how fast it can go over ethernet. Often choosing either 10mbs, 100mbs or 1gbps. This can end up faulty with either it trying to go way too fast leading to excessive data loss (which not every service reacts the same to) or just way too slow leading to a LOT less bandwith than you should have. Worst i've seen is auto negotiation selecting a measly 10Mbps which is unacceptable in this age.

Your Adapter's "Status" should tell you which speed it has selected.
You can try switching it yourself through:
Network Connections > Right-click adapter > Properties > Configure > Advanced > Speed & Duplex.

What should I change it to? It says it's on Auto Negotiation

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
So I tried 100 mbps full duplex and that seems to work the best, it's improved the speed to normal but it's a tad slower when it comes to websites and live streams, discord also works better its still a tad slower than usual

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
Yeah it mostly is a bit trial and error to find what works the best, the higher it can be set and still be stable, the better the connection between your PC and Switch/Router/Modem is.

Anyway. Since that has had some effect. My next suggestion is to clean your ethernet cable's contacts with some (isopropyl) alcohol. You'd be surprised how often i've seen cables go "bad" just cause their contacts got oxidized/dirty over time, even if they are always inside a PC connector. Just some alcohol and maybe a brief scratching with something that can get inbetween those grooves and plugging the connector in and pulling it out a couple of times.

TRENDING THREADS