EA calls NFT and blockchain games 'the future of our industry' (PC Gamer article) + one with Ubisoft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

So apparently the future of games is to pay more money and get crappy digital items in return.

If they have any say in it, apparently we'll also be spending most of our time in their metaverses, where everything you do is monetized and tied into advertising.

Welcome to Dystopia 2021!

I missed that article on EA somehow, so thanks for posting that. I sincerely hope that NFT & Blockchain BS is not the real future of the PC (or even console) gaming industry. It just feels and sounds like another way for a big games publisher (like EA & Ubisoft) to milk more money out of the players; similar to how they incorporated loot boxes into games. More money & bigger profits by tempting the player with "digital rewards".

Andrew Wilson of EA stating: "I think that in the context of the games we create and the live services that we offer, collectible digital content is going to play a meaningful part in our future," , scares the hell out of me, because EA has always been pushing that whole "games as a service" mentality in the games it produces. They've all but ruined Bioware, which I talked about in another post of yours.

I have even more respect for Steam now after they banned all games with NFTs & Blockchains. I hope they stick to that. The recent PCG article about that was here:
Steam bans all games with NFTs or cryptocurrency | PC Gamer

McStabStab

Community Contributor

So apparently the future of games is to pay more money and get crappy digital items in return.

If they have any say in it, apparently we'll also be spending most of our time in their metaverses, where everything you do is monetized and tied into advertising.

Welcome to Dystopia 2021!

Let me start by saying I've loved a lot of games EA has put out recently. The Battlefield games, Titanfall and Apex, It Takes Two, Command and Conquer Remastered, and Star Wars: Squadrons. But with that said, this NFT / Blockchain statement diminishes my want to purchase games from them in the future. There is nothing that screams "we want to take monetization to the next level" than EA seeking to hire people trained in these fields, and publicly stating this is the "future of gaming".

This is dangerous for the player, especially the young player. No question about it.

I'm not surprised that the likes of EA and AAA publishers are even considering this tbh. We'll see how they implement it but odds are it will be to the detriment of the consumer. Worst case scenario is that they try to convert every pc/console into a crypto currency farm without needing to fork out for the hardware to do it. Just leverage all the consumers to take the strain whilst they sit back and rake in the cash.

lets not forget that NFT has its own share of disasters recently. It should be a warning that this stuff isn't as hot or a sure win for easy money.

I'll be keeping an eye out but honestly it might just be another step towards me buying more indie and smaller publisher games. I'm voting with my wallet already with the likes of COD, BF, Apex legends et al atm (ie not buying their games)

Status
Not open for further replies.