PCG Article EA and FIFA parting ways

That's a biggie, a 30-year partnership coming to an end. Looks like it's because FIFA are looking for $1Bn every 4 years, which EA would naturally prefer to keep some of.

It will become EA Sports FC from next year, and apparently "has already signed up 19,000 players, 700 teams, and more than 30 leagues".

What do you FIFA players think?
Is this an opening for eFootball—formerly PES—to gain audience share?

Reactions: Alm and Sarafan
I wonder how much they make on that Super teams feature which was the genesis spot for loot boxes. I am sure 1 billion wouldn't have hurt that much. I expect they just don't need FIFA name anymore to maintain the profits, more players to dilute the odds of anyone ever getting a good team without paying a fortune... exactly as planned.

I don't actually play the game or watch it.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Probably not much will change besides the title of the game. Like noted above, EA has already secured most of the licenses without FIFA. One good thing can come out of it though. FIFA is planning to sell its license to multiple gaming companies. There's a huge chance we'll see a decent competitor to former FIFA series. Konami unfortunately delivers football games that are IMHO much worse than those provided by their biggest competitor.

I think EA might bomb with this. I know it is an expensive license ($1B multi year deal?), but back in the day when PES was a good franchise people bought FIFA because of the team / player names. I know eFootball is rubbish but I don't think people are loyal to football gaming brands at all and EA would be made irrelevant if another game bettered it. There were complaints at EA the past few years on their FIFA game, and imo people only stayed for the official license.

So... lets see if EA has the ability to make a decent football game. No hiding behind the FIFA brand to pave over the cracks and flaws of their games...

Personally FIFA might have also shot themselves in the foot as well. Either they find another someone good enough to make the game or someone with flounder with the FIFA brand.

So... lets see if EA has the ability to make a decent football game. No hiding behind the FIFA brand to pave over the cracks and flaws of their games...

Personally FIFA might have also shot themselves in the foot as well. Either they find another someone good enough to make the game or someone with flounder with the FIFA brand.
Maybe they'll go with Nintendo, and everyone will be Mario characters.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
I don't see that happening. Corrupt, constipated etc FIFA may be, but they 'own' football, and its audience is only growing. They can pick and choose as they see fit.

They do have a big brand no denying that, but its probably all about money for them. EA all things considered were doing fine until FIFA wanted more money for the franchise and the other greedy corporation just wasn't having it. i suspect FIFA will go for the low hanging fruit of a mobile game with lots of MTX (then again, EA were already moving towards that direction but at least had some gameplay and such...). Kinda like what Games workshop does most of the time. A sad turn for the fifa franchise, big bucks for FIFA.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts