Dungeons and Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I've severely been missing some D&D play ever since I found my dice and dice back from back in the late 70's and early 80's. Tried getting into a few local groups but playing with people who are the age to be my kids and grandkids just doesn't work for me.

And I can't find an "old farts" group.

Mknott

Staff member
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Roll 20 is the place to go for scratching the itch.

When you tick over a certain age it's a scheduling nightmare to get people together, Roll20 being digital takes so much of the stress out. I've heard it's really good for finding groups, though I've played with the same rotating bunch of folks for over a decade now.

It works fantastic for 5e DnD, but we've played a lot of different systems on the platform. It's intuitive, though it has some weird quirks that you pick up on over time.

In terms of getting some play, just like real life there's different effort and buy in, the main thing is what you're looking to get from the game, are you looking to DM or play?

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Roll 20 is the place to go for scratching the itch.

When you tick over a certain age it's a scheduling nightmare to get people together, Roll20 being digital takes so much of the stress out. I've heard it's really good for finding groups, though I've played with the same rotating bunch of folks for over a decade now.

It works fantastic for 5e DnD, but we've played a lot of different systems on the platform. It's intuitive, though it has some weird quirks that you pick up on over time.

In terms of getting some play, just like real life there's different effort and buy in, the main thing is what you're looking to get from the game, are you looking to DM or play?

Definite player. I wish I had the talent to DM but that's a special set of skills I do not possess. I think I looked at Roll 20 once but don't remember what I liked or disliked about it. Will check it out again.

Mknott

Staff member
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Definite player. I wish I had the talent to DM but that's a special set of skills I do not possess.

I'd definitely recommend checking out Roll20 for finding groups as a player.

I also just noticed some DM's charge real, literal earth money there, which has blown my mind and also made dollar signs pop up over my eyes. I would search for groups that fit your needs and avoid the professional services myself, our issues with time and meeting up are fairly universal so you can usually find what you're looking for.

Being an obsessive, I DM a group in person and have a Santa's workshop for painting and crafts, but for regular guaranteed play, you can't go wrong with a good online group. Here's a WiP labour of love diorama for the office, I can do the fun stuff now I've painted a full dungeons worth of doors.

Attachments

• 79164579_10162626083695557_8488608921848643584_o.jpg
    79164579_10162626083695557_8488608921848643584_o.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 7
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I'd definitely recommend checking out Roll20 for finding groups as a player.

I also just noticed some DM's charge real, literal earth money there, which has blown my mind and also made dollar signs pop up over my eyes. I would search for groups that fit your needs and avoid the professional services myself, our issues with time and meeting up are fairly universal so you can usually find what you're looking for.

Being an obsessive, I DM a group in person and have a Santa's workshop for painting and crafts, but for regular guaranteed play, you can't go wrong with a good online group. Here's a WiP labour of love diorama for the office, I can do the fun stuff now I've painted a full dungeons worth of doors.

Holy schnikes! That's some serious talent there.

Reactions: andriszvan
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Tried getting into a few local groups but playing with people who are the age to be my kids and grandkids just doesn't work for me.

And I can't find an "old farts" group.

I've found some groups by asking at local hobby stores. Especially the ones owned by old grey-beards who know all the old-school players.

That might keep you away from the kiddos.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I'd also look into Tabletop Simulator. It usually runs about 20 bucks on steam, but it goes down to 7ish sometimes. I swear by it for D&D because it actually has some of the tactile fun of playing with dice and miniatures, albeit in a digital space. It also doubles as pretty much most board games every because the community will rabidly recreate any game it gets its hands on inside of it. The community for that game is awesome.

Reactions: andriszvan
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
I will definitely play with my grandkids, they are extremely good gamers. D&D remains my first, true love in gaming, and really just builds off the cops and robbers and spies games of my early childhood, where we made everything up as we went along.

We have considered Tabletop simulator for our gaming guild, which is spread across North America. One day we'll find days that we can all schedule a few hours together. One day. :)

Reactions: Mknott
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
It's true. I played D&D back when all we had were analog phones, permanently attached to the wall. There were no distractions: no internet, two channels on TV, and while we all worked, it seemed so much easier to find the time. Yes, I have become that old person who laments days gone by.

Get off my lawn or roll for initiative!

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
Thats the problem. There aren't any "grey beards" anywhere around.
I was quite lucky when I found my group. I found weekly drop-in games ran by a local club after searching "*Name of my town* D&D" on facebook. It's made up of an interesting mix of people , both good and bad. Eventually I started playing with some like minded people then we went off and did our own thing.

My advice would be just to keep looking, on every medium you can think of.

Reactions: Lee_Bo
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I was quite lucky when I found my group. I found weekly drop-in games ran by a local club after searching "*Name of my town* D&D" on facebook. It's made up of an interesting mix of people , both good and bad. Eventually I started playing with some like minded people then we went off and did our own thing.

My advice would be just to keep looking, on every medium you can think of.

I did exactly that and found a new group. Already met with the DM and he's in the age range as I am. Looking good so far.

Reactions: Mknott and CParsons
I have been an avid gamer since I was young, but never really played Dnd, Just recently we had a new person join my gaming discord and while we were chatting I found out he's been into Dnd since the 70s and made his own campaign on Fantasy Grounds. That led to us playing it and it's been awesome. I heard Roll20 is the platform to use for online DnD, but I must say having only used Fantasy Grounds it's been great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS