Question Do you need so many cookies ?

Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
I love Pc Gamer and i have disabled my AdBlocker, like asked when entering the site.

I want to say i'm not a privacy data integrist or whatever, i'm just curious.

This got my attention, why so many cookies ? i don't know any site with so many of them.
I have set my privacy settings, and my firefox extension Ghostery show 31 of them !!!!!!

You can see them on the right of the image below :

Rich (BB code):

Reactions: Hveðrungr
I love Pc Gamer and i have disabled my AdBlocker
Personally I think that if you love PC Gamer then you should be trying to encourage its corporate overlords to make the website as accessible and usable as possible. Turning off AdBlocker only incentivises Future to continue to butcher the site with the current ludicrous levels of spamvertising. Using AdBlocker tells them that they've gone too far.

Reactions: Oussebon

Zloth

Community Contributor
Using AdBlocker tells them that PC Gamer is not economically viable and they should stop doing it in favor of making websites catering to less web savvy clientele. If you want to get them gone, pony up some cash and get into the PC Gamer club. (Well, most of them will be gone. Amazon Prime Day still generates a bunch.) I try something along the lines of the Brave browser concept. But that's a whole different topic...

That particular page doesn't seem to have all that many adds by the look of that screenshot, and yet there's still lots of cookies flying around for advertiser tracking? Maybe they're part of some common template for all pages?

Using AdBlocker tells them that PC Gamer is not economically viable

I have to wonder how economically viable Future PLC or whoever it is thinks it is anyway with the sheer number of advertisements. When I browse on my Kindle there are like 15 rows of ads, each row with 3 or 4 ads on it, between the end of the article and the comments. That doesn't include side ads and pop ups.

I don't bnrowse on my Kindle anymore and if it weren't for adblocking addons I wouldn't visit PC Gamer at all.

I don't browse on my Kindle anymore and if it weren't for adblocking addons I wouldn't visit PC Gamer at all.
Likewise I try to avoid visiting on my mobile, which I don't have AdBlock installed on.

On my other favourite websites, which I want to support, I turn AdBlock off. I get the argument about it being part of the bargain for using a site. But Future are the only publisher of one of my favourite sites whose ad policy is so extreme that even for a site I want to support as much as PCG, I have to keep AdBlock on.

Ublock Origin only blocking 3 for me here (on chrome but 4 on Firefox, random) and Bitdefender Anti tracker is showing none.

I wonder what its missing. I refuse to remove blockers, even if I don't actually see adverts here.

That is on PC, I refuse to use internet on my phone because of adverts. Not crazy enough to pay to block them though, and many adblocking companies have been known to sell the data they collect. Even big names in security like Avast are no different.

TRENDING THREADS