Do you mostly play new games, or replay old?

Do you mostly play new games, or replay old?

• New games (new to you)

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Replay old (ones you've played before)

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • About the same

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In terms of play time, I definitely spend most on replay of favorite titles—they go back to the 90s, so I have a good few favs built up over time.

2022: 3 new games, but for sure most time gone into replays of Civ4 and Civ6—altho Civ6 is my first real dive into it, just messed with the vanilla version for ~20 hours a year or two ago, whenever Epic gave it away.

2021: I did start 3 good new games I definitely have to get back to—Dishonored, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Sniper Elite 4—but if I got 20 hours into any of them, it's as much. Definitely mostly replaying—a lot of time into Far Cry 5 and the usual annual replays of Civ4, Royal Envoy series, Crysis & Warhead, War Robots Planet Defender, etc.

Last edited:
last 4 games I played:
2 were new - Torchlight 3 and Dorf Romantik
1 was old - Torchlight 2
4th was Diablo 2 remastered... it is sort of both new and old at same time.

Before i counted them, I had voted mostly old. Historically that is more accurate than the last few games I have played. I tend to play games until I get sick of them. I have purposely stopped playing some games so as to ensure I don't start to hate them.

I might return to Dorf again, even though its only just been released I played it on early access a year ago. So is it old or new?

With the amount of games in my steam collection i have little choice but to play new games. its very rare i go back to a game and play it again. Even games where i do go back and play, its usually because of a new expansion pack. XCom2 springs to mind. played that game at least 3 times. Once without any of the DLC, a second time with the season pass content and finally a third time with the war of the chosen content. Even Doom2 i play new Doom wads as opposed to replaying the original doom 2 maps.

Whilst the games are new experiences, the games themselves aren't. Some might be decades old etc.

I almost exclusively play new games (or ongoing games like FFXIV), but honestly I would like to become a little less skewed on that front. I like trying new and different games, but there are definitely some I would like to return to. Similar to what @Johnway said above, I find it hard to return to older games in many cases because my backlog of new stuff is so substantial that I feel I need to start working on it. I have created a "Return" collection in Steam, though, so I have organized games that I may want to return to in the future.

There's just so many great older games that have so much more depth (to me) than many of the newer ones.

They also have much more depth than many of the older ones. There's just so many more old games than new games, so the best old games are probably going to be better than the best new games. With the occasional exception of course, which will have become an old game when you actually get around to playing it. Such is the life of the patient gamer.

The poll is too simple for me to vote. What do you mean by "old" and "new"? For me "new" means that it is new to me regardless of when it was released. So Layers of Fear (2016) was new to me this year. I tend to wait a few years for the bugs to be eradicated and for the gameplay to be "optimised" (remember The Witcher EE?) so generally anything I buy is at least two or more years old.

My latest purchase is Assassin's Creed Origins. Approaching L3 and enjoying the gameplay, graphics and story (sort of).

Thanks for the clarification. I have now voted.

I had a look at what I have played in 2020. So the old games were BG2 EE, SM Alpha Centauri, Clive Barker's Undying and The Witcher. The new games were Layers of Fear, Rusty Lake Hotel, Detective Grimoire and Assassin's Creed Origin. So it is 50:50 though that is not set in stone since I tend to select the game I play on a whim though I suspect articles I have read subconsciously have an impact in the decision.

Oh, if you wait to buy it is usually cheaper or you get all the DLCs. If I am being totally honest I have bought a few duds - cheaper prices dulls the pain. . Another reason to be patient.

fRIe.gif

There we go @Zloth

By the rules set forth in this thread, I honestly don't know the answer. I just play so many different games. Best I could do was "About the same".

Satisfactory would count as an old game for me even though it's only a few years old and still in early access. Even Car Mechanic Simulator 21 would count as old for me, as I completed the main missions and quit playing for awhile and then went back to it.

The thing is, if a game has a narrative and an ending, I almost never replay it. About the only game like that that I'll replay is RE4. The games I replay tend to be sandboxes or strategy games. They may have some narrative to them, but it's not a main draw for the game. Technically, Satisfactory has a story, and while I'm interested in it, it's not really one of the game's draws. But these are games that don't really have endings. So did I ever really finish them and then come back to them later? Not really, but I felt I was finished "for now" with them at the time. But does that count?

Off topic: I define an "old" game as being from the last century or maybe very early this century when games were hard. This was the Primitive Age. You had to make your own maps. You had to remember who gave you a mission or you'd never be able to turn it it. Didn't know what to do next? Don't look at us. Figure it out on your own.

Then you had some games with a level of complexity that isn't found in AAA games today (but you can find it in some indie games). Good thing they gave you a 100 page manual because there were no in-game explanations at all.

But it's the utter brutality that stands out about this age. You had adventure games where if you failed to pull an invisible eyelash out of a bottle in chapter 1, you couldn't finish the game, which you didn't find out until you needed the eyelash in chapter 8. You had crpg's where you would spend an hour creating a party only to have them all die horrible, permanent deaths only 10 minutes later.

Of course, you also had console games, which were always pretty simple during the same time when PC games were insane. That's the prime reason why I became a PC gamer. On console you had inane platformers with big-headed characters, while on PC you had entire fantasy worlds.

END OLD TIMER RAVING

Satisfactory would count as an old game for me even though it's only a few years old and still in early access.
Lol. I still think of things like Horizon: Zero Dawn or Breath of the Wild as brand new games, and they're 5 years old. It's hard to believe they came out the same year as Cuphead. For some reason, I think of Cuphead as being older. I guess it's because of the game's theme.

TRENDING THREADS