Do you Loot even if not needed?

I'm addicted to looting bodies and goodie boxes for the whole game, long after I have any need for the rewards. Must be due to my 'Waste not, want not' upbringing and frugal lifestyle—or some other psychological defect.

I see many YouTube videos where the guy mows down enemies and doesn't bother to search them, even when he's low on ammo and money—but maybe that's mainly due to the focus of the particular video, which is rarely looting.

How about you—hoarder or waster?

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
Hoarder! I loot everything. Always. Which often leads to full bags and messages telling me that I can't run/fast travel/etc anymore. When I'm close to a merchant I even consider walking. If not, I make sure to drop the stuff with the least amount of value first. Rinse and repeat. :geek:o_O

Sarafan

Community Contributor
How about you—hoarder or waster?

Hoarder as well! I loot even when I'm full on items. For example, the usage for money in Baldur's Gate 1 is very limited. There's basically no good store with powerful magic items. That never discourages me though. I always loot the enemies even in the later chapters and sell their items to get even more gold! What's the reason of this you ask? There's no reason at all. :D I just need to loot those bodies!

Depends on the game tbh. Path of exile has been a breath of fresh air when it comes to loot. You can be selective on what you pick up or need. The only time i pick up garbage is when i need to collect items to get chaos orbs purchased, but with filters i can quickly see those items accordingly.

other ARPGs? gold is probably always on the top of my list unless i'm flush with cash and its for absolutely pitiful amounts. Gear wise i try to be selective as well. If its not for my class, i don't bother, but then again, i swear most ARPGs just give gear for other classes more often then the one you're using....

Torchlight with its pet to do the shopping makes it easy for me to just pick everything up and sell it off in a never ending conveyor belt of commerce.

I'm a packrat (even in real life), and a compulsive looter-hoarder in games that have lootable bodies/containers. I loot every body I find, open or crush every container; hey, you'll never know when something can be useful!

In games like Skyrim & Fallout 4 that have character weight limits, I'm often find myself slowly trudging back to either one of my home bases, or to the nearest town. I love the tense feeling I get being over-incombered (even w/ Lydia to carry my burdens) and trying to get to a safe location before a dragon attacks, or a deathclaw in FO4. I don't even know the number of times I've died, or nearly died, trying to fight with my mobility severely restricted by carrying too much. I know there's mods that alleviate that, but I like the risk/reward aspect and the danger. My choice, my risk.

It's not just good loot either. In games with crafting systems, or house/settlement building, even the most mundane things can be broken down into parts that can be used for those systems. Specifically Fallout 4, where I'm constantly searching for adhesive, circuitry, glass, and a variety of other components; I pick up absolutely everything laying around: every gun, glass bottle, newspaper, ect.

Then there are games that don't have weight limits, but size limits to your carry inventory. Those represent a different set of problems, and I will, very reluctantly, leave some items on the ground. If there's a fast travel option, like the Town Portal Scrolls in D2 Resurrected, I'll often go through several of those just to collect all the loot in an area.

So, yeah, I am, I admit it. If there's a looters-hoarders-packrat anonymous number, I should probably call it.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Then there are games that don't have weight limits, but size limits to your carry inventory.
Oh yeah! Where you have to place every gun, healing item, and mission-critical-teddy-bear into an X by Y rectangle. Those made for nice, little puzzles for a while but then you would find yourself spending all sorts of time trying to make a new item fit. Then they added buttons to auto-sort the inventory - but at that point, why bother? Just give each item a weight or volume then put a limit on the total.

If there's a looters-hoarders-packrat anonymous number, I should probably call it
By the looks of this thread so far, the meetings would be overcrowded!

So for the weight limits, there would be an obvious 12-step plan—you are forbidden to carry a load which prevents you taking 12 steps :D

For the X by Y fit-it-in/quantity problem, perhaps some Tetris therapy :unsure:

• Love
Reactions: Zloth and mainer
trudging back to either one of my home bases

Home bases are just extra inventory space you have to walk to. Which means they're going to be filled up with crap I'm never going to look at again, just in case I need it. I've gotten fairly good at organizing, though there's usually at least one container of unorganised stuff and some item stacks that are spread out over two or three containers because the item fits in multiple categories.

Depends on the game tbh. Path of exile has been a breath of fresh air when it comes to loot. You can be selective on what you pick up or need. The only time i pick up garbage is when i need to collect items to get chaos orbs purchased, but with filters i can quickly see those items accordingly.
Torchlight 2 had this as well. Not sure which came first, it doesn't really matter. Its an obvious step if you don't have a use for white items after a while. Otherwise screens get silly fast - look explosion after fighting a dragon.
c4cyQX4.jpg

DIablo 2 is a game designed for loot hoarders. Or should I say, designed to smash the habit. Limited bank space and items (charms) designed to fill the slots up so your choice, do you pick up or ignore. And when even white/grey items are useful (maybe) you can't ignore anything.

I have to admit I did look for the choices to hide crap in D2R

Unless you can get more than 3 shared slots in the bank I am going to lose track of items soon. Can only start so many bank characters. They could make cash selling more bank slots, vaguely remember you got a new slot in D3 after completing some rewards. I would have a hard time resisting that purchase. Diablo 2 has a use for white items though I am not up to it yet.

Failboat and Skyram probably the worst offenders for pokemon type behavior - got to have them all. I feel System Shock started it all.

You are over-encumbered and cannot run! Soo, you say I can walk! I love loot, and if I have to walk, I'll bloody walk to the nearest shop, even if it will take several minutes. Dropping loot, out of the question. I want my precious gold, sweet rolls, paper, breadcrumbs, a strange thingy that might be valuable, and broken glass because you might just need it.

Saying that I am extremely happy for a loot filter in PoE:giggle:

fnkHN7f.png
Credit to u/ImmortalAscendant.

Here's a screenshot of one wall of the new supply room I'm working on in Craftopia. It will eventually have chests all the way around the outer wall with each having an item frame showing the general type of item found in the chest.

ct1.png

And here's a picture of my bear farm:

ct2.png

Bears create great quality loot, so I created a system that would breed and murder them and suck their treasures into chests. Don't worry. They are really annoying. You wouldn't be sad at all. Edit: I should say I had to kill a bunch of bears just to get in the room and make that screen shot. I need my setup to start killing them a little faster.

So yes, I'm a loot guy. Even in Far Cry 4 where you have 30 dead bodies and the best thing you find on them is a tampon (seriously, that's a common loot in the game), I still loot every darn thing.

you don't loot dead bodies
Oh man, that is such an improvement! Now if it also applies to skinning wildlife…

If I had a cent for every time I've exchanged a weapon when I intended to loot, I could buy every game on my wishlist at full price!

It's always been awful design—obviously a problem from botched console port in FC3, but really should've been fixed for PC since then—to have only 2 interface keys around bodies.

Just played the beginning of Far Cry 6
Why, couldn't you skip it? :p

Now if it also applies to skinning wildlife…

It does apply to wildlife. I don't even remember what I killed now. I think it was a boar. I didn't even have a gun yet, so I was hacking at it with the machete, and when it died, I saw a little notification pop up on the right telling me I had gotten something, maybe meat. That was the first time I noticed it.

Why, couldn't you skip it? :p

You know, I'm kicking myself for not trying to skip the opening cutscene on your behalf. I did notice that you could skip other cutscenes. The cutscenes (2 of them) during what I would consider the intro are not terribly long, but of course there is also an action scene you have to do before you are properly dumped into the game. The intro is basically: cutscene, stealth action sequence (very easy but felt long), cutscene.

Last edited:

Sarafan

Community Contributor
You are over-encumbered and cannot run! Soo, you say I can walk! I love loot, and if I have to walk, I'll bloody walk to the nearest shop, even if it will take several minutes. Dropping loot, out of the question. I want my precious gold, sweet rolls, paper, breadcrumbs, a strange thingy that might be valuable, and broken glass because you might just need it.

Saying that I am extremely happy for a loot filter in PoE:giggle:

fnkHN7f.png
Credit to u/ImmortalAscendant.

Now that's what I call loot! You'd need an army to carry all of this. :D

• Haha
Reactions: mainer and Frindis

TRENDING THREADS