Do MMORPGs go here?

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
I will admit that while I keep hearing that MMORPGs are dead, done, gone, buh-bye, they are STILL my favorite haunt.
Judging by the number of people around me in these games, they're not as dead as they look. I am amazed that some of the best are hitting 10, 15 and 20+ years of age.

I have always found that the best MMOs are those that foster a strong undercurrent of roleplay.
I get that many of my fellow players are all about the end game content, raids, huuuuuuge challenges, but I've always enjoyed just wandering about smelling the roses and sharing tales with other travelers in game.

I've also come to learn that the social glue that holds our guilds together are not just the raid leaders, but the crafters and social folks in the guild halls have always had just as much to do with keeping the games going. I salute them all, in every MMO that I have ever played (which is most of them, hehe).
Here's to the huge families I've been a part of!

Reactions: Lauren Morton
I'd say so!

Elder Scrolls Online appears at the top of the Steam lists every time they release a new expansion, and doesn't seem to be getting any less popular over time. I'll admit I returned to it and went through the whole main storyline a few years after what was a very bumpy release. And I thoroughly enjoyed myself. At some point, I'll have to return to the ESO subreddit and eat crow.

World of Warcraft is also supremely popular - and Eve Online has long been a favorite for epic tales of political intrigue and jockeying empires. Not to mention Final Fantasy XIV, another swan song of a game that came out and had an exhaustive revision.

Though I do wonder where games like Rust and Conan Exiles might fit. They're "massively multiplayer", but survival as opposed to RPG.

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I've been seeing a lot of ads for Eve Online lately. I personally just couldn't get into it.

And I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a Warcracker........

Wait, that REALLY didn't sound right. :cool:

Dec 19, 2019
Visit site
I've been dabbling in Runescape again lately.

I'm anxious to see how they dig themselves out of a current hole they're in, but I'm really there for a few close friends that I'd hate to lose.

No one dares to mention Fallout 76.

I was very late into the MMORPG scene. While I was of gaming age when World of WarCraft first came out, I ignored it as I didn't and still really don't play online games.

However, because I am a huge Lord of the Rings fan, I participated in the LOTRO Beta prior to its release. I didn't play it long, however, I came back to it a few years later. I tend to come back to LOTRO every other year and play it religiously for a couple of months and then disappear.

Other than that, I've played and enjoyed Star Wars The Old Republic and Final Fantasy XIV.

Lauren Morton

Staff member
I vote for MMOs to go here! My main is still Elder Scrolls Online these days. I'm not as active as I once was, but I've found over the years that MMOs with pre-established universes are more sticky for me. Guild Wars 2 is the exception as I've been playing the series for....well more years than I can count on my hands anyway. Other than that, I love MMOs that explore big cool worlds I already know a thing or two about. ESO, LOTRO, SWTOR, FFXIV, things like that. I never was a WoW person so unfortunately the recent Classic craze has been over my head.

Reactions: PioneerRaptor
If MMORPG don't go in an RPG section, nothing should :)

I played wow for 3 years in the 00's and then 3 Years more of Age of Conan. They are dangerous to me as I get single minded and entire life is about playing game. A friend tried to convince me to play WOW Classic last year but I remembered some of my actions from the past and decided to avoid the time sink.

RPG is too general now, games like Mario are seens as RPG and as much as I like Mario, its not a real RPG. RPG let you make own character and be whatever you like, not follow a set story. Too many non RPG are classified as it now.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Just to let people know, the EU PCG WoW guild has never died and is still active on EU Steamwheedle Cartel, Horde side. The Alliance Guild, Rebel Alliance, is quiet but still exists too.

A search of the Enjin forums should bring people to it.

PCG WoW EU - We’ve outlasted three PCG Forums by now… XD

I played ESO for a number of years, but MMOs are just such a massive time sink and you really have to comit to them. I stopped playing a year back and have yet to return. I love the game, but I just never had time to play anything else.

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
I've been playing Final Fantasy 14 and after hitting the end of the story, will give ESO another shot. MMORPGs are still alive, it's just that people burned out on WoW since it became so dull

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
I played ESO for a number of years, but MMOs are just such a massive time sink and you really have to comit to them. I stopped playing a year back and have yet to return. I love the game, but I just never had time to play anything else.
They aren't such a time sink and you can play them at your own pace. MMOs are relaxing cause you don't have to think or use your brain

They aren't such a time sink and you can play them at your own pace. MMOs are relaxing cause you don't have to think or use your brain

I may have used the wrong terminology. There is just so much to do in games like ESO. You can do it all at your own pace, but I find I get too engrossed in it and end up not playing any other game. I can't just play for an hour every now and again like other games I play. this isn't a bad thing if just playing 1 game as your main game is what you are after, but I am also trying to clear an extremely large backlog!

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
I may have used the wrong terminology. There is just so much to do in games like ESO. You can do it all at your own pace, but I find I get too engrossed in it and end up not playing any other game. I can't just play for an hour every now and again like other games I play. this isn't a bad thing if just playing 1 game as your main game is what you are after, but I am also trying to clear an extremely large backlog!

Just got to take it at whatever pace you feel comfortable with, my mistake in the past was trying to rush through story content without checking out the other gameplay aspects. MMORPGs are meant to be played long-term

Lauren Morton

Staff member

Definitely give ESO another shot! I've dabbled in a lot of different MMOs and I consistently tell folks that it's the only one that I don't feel pressured to play constantly. I never feel confused or overloaded when I log back in after several weeks/months. Sure, you may forget the details of the overarching story, but the localized quests are all so personal that you can pick one up and go without context.

Definitely give ESO another shot! I've dabbled in a lot of different MMOs and I consistently tell folks that it's the only one that I don't feel pressured to play constantly. I never feel confused or overloaded when I log back in after several weeks/months. Sure, you may forget the details of the overarching story, but the localized quests are all so personal that you can pick one up and go without context.

I've already started playing again yesterday! I never feel confused or overloaded, I just know that I am now not going to play any other game for a few months. I always go through stages of not playing, but I have been playing on and off since the beta. It definitely feels good to be back though.

JR88

BANNED
Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
I'm absolutely addicted to ESO. My sorc is pretty Uber hes like only vet200 tho....and yeah just fun game overall...I'm really thinking about buying some DLC or the xpac...I don't know...they've done some updates and different itemizations and rewards now. Crafting is still hard tho...you can level faster than vs how fast you can make like blues or something/good gear.

TRENDING THREADS