Desktop configuration help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2020
Visit site
Hey everyone, I am configuring my first desktop right now and was wondering what everyone thought, such as if it's too much, what I need or don't, etc. Trying to get something that's an investment but not over the top. I'm also using this for music production as well. So any input would be great :) thanks

• Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-10700KF 3.80GHz
  • CPU Overclocking: CLX Forge -Professional CPU Overclocking
  • Thermal Compound (CLX Fluxx): Thermal Compound - CLX FLUXX
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z490-H Gaming - ATX
  • Memory: 2x 8GB DDR4-3000 XPG Spectrix RGB
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060Ti 8GB GDDR6
  • GPU Overclocking: CLX Forge -Professional GPU Overclocking
  • Operating System Storage: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD
  • CPU Liquid Cooling: CLX Quench 120 Closed Liquid Cooler
  • Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD
  • Secondary Storage RAID: RAID 5 Array (Striped with Parity)
  • RAID Controller: Onboard RAID Controller
  • Chassis Fans: 3x GAMDIAS AEOLUS RGB Fan
  • Chassis Internal Lighting: CLX Alchemy RGB LED Light
  • Power Supply: 750W Modular 80PLUS GOLD PSU
  • Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes E1A RGB Keyboard & Mouse
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
  • Harddrive Accelerators: (No Harddrive Accelerator)

Reactions: arlando
Hi and welcome :)

Looks fine. Personally I wouldnt want anyone else overclocking my machine for me. Especially an 8 core processor on a 120mm radiator.

Otherwise looks like good quality components.

If you want my advice, save the money, drop the OC if you can. You wont notice much difference, your system will last longer and you'll know it will always be stable. Link to a stock vs OC comparison gaming performance here if you need to know what the difference would be. I highly doubt they would get to 5.1ghz on that little CLC cooler so it wont even be as much as in the video.

Dec 10, 2020
Visit site
Yeah there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in Stock vs OC besides there being a few more fps so ill probs stick with stock.
As for the CLC, is that one fine or should I go with a dual or triple?
Also, what about RAIDs? Do you recommend?

If this is a gaming system you wont see any benefit from striped RAID, sorry I missed that one. Put your games on the SSD and leave it that. If you have a particular use case then there might be a reason for striping your HDD's, if you dont know what that is you almost certainly dont need it.

If you have critical data that you need to keep safe then theres a case for mirroring, again if you dont know you need it you probably dont, just back up to an external drive/cloud/NAS.

I think the 120mm would be O.K at stock, but personally I'd be putting a 240mm radiator CLC on it for minimum. I am the type to be over careful with my temperatures and fan noise though, so take that as you will. A single 140mm one could also work if thats an option, but the bigger the rad the quieter you can run the fan curve.

EDIT: I should say I know little to nothing of music production, I assume you'd need a fairly large amount of storage for that but I dont know how striped raid would help that over just getting a bigger SSD? It would be worth asking in a specialized music production forum about that.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020
Visit site
Yeah I wasn't planning on having an HDD but I've seen those hybrid ones that have more storage and are faster. What are your thoughts on those?
Also was wondering thoughts on the choice of RAM to the motherboard and would I need more memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS